5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy yummy Hummy!
Having been impressed by the Hummingbird Bakery produce before, I knew I had to pre-order this book to have a go myself. Having gotten the book a few days ago, I've been examining it lots, and even baking a few recipes, and I must say, this book is seriously yummy! I can't wait to be able to taste more of these delicious recipes!

As for the recipes, there are...
Published on 20 Mar 2011 by Cookie

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite lovely but works best if you don't have the other book
Flicking through the book initially I wanted to cook absolutely everything in it - and there's the right amount of cakes, loaves, cupcakes, cookies, whoopie pies, and cheescakes here - but looking through it again I think there's some problems with it.

It's split into these chapters:

*Valentine's Day
*Spring Weekend Bakes
*Mother's &...
Published on 25 Mar 2011 by Magicalthinking

1.0 out of 5 stars 4 recipes, repeated endlessly, 3 Nov 2012
This product has good recipes certainly. I've never had a problem with any of them (except the biscuit based butterscotch which calls for 20 minutes at Gas Mark 3- not nearly high enough/long enough, either double the time or the heat!). HOWEVER this book contains at most 6 recipes: cupcake, cake, butterscotch biscuit thing, cheesecake and granola bar. The rest of the pages are filled out with variations- there are about 20 different cupcakes in here- all identical save for the fact that you change the flavouring! A complete waste of money.

5.0 out of 5 stars SETS THE STANDARDS IN THE UK, 31 Mar 2011
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
Tarek Malouf was inspired by The Magnolia Bakery in New York City, 'the spiritual home' of the modern day take on cup cakes. Having visited this revered establishment several times over the last few years, I have become accustomed to joining a fairly long line of anticipatory customers snaking way from the shop doorway down West 11th Street.

The author was persuaded by his NYC based sister to open a similar establishment in London in 2004 and now has two shops, the first in Portobello Road, and secondly in South Kensington. In a short time he had built up a fervent following including celebrities such as Elle Macpherson and Claudio Schiffer just to mention two beautiful bodies which, ironically do not seem to have undergone too much 'cup cake' abuse. What is their secret I wonder?

This book was purchased for one of our married daughters with 5 children and the original husband still in attendance, who with good initial training from her mother and lots of practice on her family has developed into a first class cake maker, which perhaps accounts for continued presence of the father of her children. She was thrilled with the book and has already tried a number of the recipes and reports that they were easy to follow and produced excellent, attractive results, and she now finds her children going through the book and turning over the pages of cakes they like the look of. Apparently there have been lots and lots of turned down pages.

The 5 star rating was the opinion of my daughter. Certainly before we passed the book over to her, we had a good look through and were greatly impressed with the imaginative range of recipes, and the stunning photography.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 July 2014
loads of great recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 July 2014
LOVELY JUBBLY CAKES

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT ALL IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE., 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
My wife is quite a proficient cook and loves baking. I'd heard quite good things about Hummingbird Cookbooks so thought I'd buy the 'Cake Days' book so she could try out new recipes.
The book itself is very lovely, well photographed etc, the layout is rather good. But, well, the recipes don't really work.
I don't know if this is to do with the American Influence but the quantities used are too great to be practical. Something we didn't, at first, spot.

We started getting cakes which were not rising etc. At first we thought the oven was malfunctioning and so got an engineer to come and look at it, but he declared the oven to be in complete working order. There were still cake disasters. The sound of screaming could be heard from the kitchen, occasional sobs, cries of disbelief and the swearing? I didn't even know my wife knew some of those words!
As for the cakes,Some were raw on the bottom and over cooked on the top. At one point two loaf tins of cake mixture were placed in the oven and overspilled so much there was enough for a third cake in the middle between the first two cakes. It was only when we googled Hummingbird Cake recipes that we realised that the quantities were all wrong.

As a result I would say that this book could give you inspiration for the types of cakes you want to make, but if you want to actually make the cake then get the recipe from somewhere else.

1.0 out of 5 stars Basic and Repeat Recipes, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book for research and I am much disappointed like I was with the first one.

Cakes are not healthy for sure BUT there are cakes which are absolutely delicious with half the sugar. Just take the Maple and Pecan Layer Cake. There are 400g caster sugar in the sponge and 750g icing sugar in the frosting. It says the whole cake serves 10-12. So if you eat one slice you will eat 115g of sugar! If you would take your scale and put 115g sugar in a bowl you would not eat that.

Red Velvet Cupcakes is the same recipe as in the first Hummingbird book with the ingredients doubled but the same amount of cupcakes. How does that work? Well, lets not be so precise then.

Beetroot and Chocolate Cupcakes are certainly not American and maybe (have not done the research on that) the idea came from Harry Eastwood book Red Velvet Chocolate Heartache which I can highly recommend.

I don't know the real reason for 11 recipes for a loaf with the same ingredients. Well its the same except the variation of the herbs or nuts like Walnuts, Chocolate, Cardamon, Cinnamon and Raisin, Pistachio etc.
They all have 190g butter, 190g flour, 190g caster sugar, 3eggs and 25ml soured cream and then any of the above.
Any good home baker could come up with that or just add all variations on one page. To create 10 more recipes is cheating on the customer.

The one star goes to the design. Lovely photography and colours.

Thank god I only paid half the RRP.

For serious bakers I can recommend the new book Peyton and Byrne - British Baking. Great icing with only a fifth amount of sugar! Lovely recipes and they all work well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wish I could love it, 13 Jun 2013
M. Corrie (UK - Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
I really really wanted to like this book, but have been sorely disappointed with it. I can not say I have had one successful bake with it, which is a real shame. Back to Mary Berry and Mrs Beeton I go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cakes!, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
Great book - managed to get it to me during the Christmas rush. Looking forward to some tasting once Christmas is over

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fallback book., 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
This book has superseded ALL of my other baking books. The Guinness cake is infallible and the lemon-thyme cake works brilliantly well for more adult taste buds! Most of the time I would suggest baking is an exact science and to follow the measurements exactly, but as long as you match the weights in the recipes, you can easily adapt ingredients (eg lime for lemons, mixed berries for blue etc, etc)you'll still get fabulous results from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant!!, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days (Hardcover)
This book has recipes to tantalise any tastebuds!! Well worth investing in a copy. I am looking to purchase another copy for a Crimbo prezzie too.

The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days
The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days by Tarek Malouf (Hardcover - 17 Mar 2011)