1,394 Reviews
 (1,167)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as Roald Dahl.
Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by Kate Perez

3.0 out of 5 stars The children liked it at least...
Published on 3 Nov. 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as Roald Dahl., 21 Nov. 2011
Kate Perez (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Audio CD)
This is a great story. I really like Walliams's work for children, and I am very impressed that a man with no children (yet) is able to really "get" what children like and what they laugh at. All his stories seem to have a slightly maudlin quality at some point, which is a bit cringe-worthy, but this is a great story for the 6 to 10 year old range, and so are all the others he has written. I recommend the audio-books because Walliams reads his own work really well. We are now hoping that he writes a story specifically about Raj the marvellous shopkeeper who pops up in all the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gansta Ganny, 19 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
Another SUCCESS for David Walliams. Perfect to engage those readers who hate reading. My Class have been caught, 'hook line and sinker' with his books. Ideal for guided reading and audio listening skills in class. My whole class are now looking forward to the next book by David Walliams because they are so caught up with this author's way of writing that captures young minds instantly and is a 110% encouragement to read. Recommended to all class teachers for english and guided reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars cracker, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
Great book for my 12 year old Grandson, he thinks his Nan is the best!Good stocking filler, viewed David Williams on Jonathon Ross show when he read a short preview, and decided there & then to Purchase Gansta Granny as soon as it came out, when he's read it I think I might borrow it.Great Author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Kids Comedy, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Hardcover)
This book was one of the best books I have ever read. I recommend it for kids from 9-13 it made me laugh for hours at one single line it was written with great thought for a full experience for the reader. Anyone considering buying this is 100% correct it is a great piece of writing that is perfect for improving children's vocabulary. It is a fantastic book and Christmas is coming soon what could be a better gift to a young child than a story that will encourage them to read more and enjoy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding book - halarious read, 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Paperback)
Gangsta Granny is the perfect book if you want a laugh. The book grabs my attention so i can not put it down. I couldn't wait to read the next David Walliams book. I am 10 years old but i have enjoyed thease books since I was 9

5.0 out of 5 stars priceless, 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Paperback)
I bought for my son, who is almost 10, after he had shown it to me at a school book fair and said they had read an excerpt from it, well, what can I say...I was laughing so much at one chapter I got told off by my son as he couldnt understand what I was saying, I honestly had tears running down my face, mainly because its almost true life. My son has global developmental delay, and is also dyslexic, so classed as a non- reader, but I was really struggling to find a book for his age group that would keep his attention, had a few great illustrations to help him and one that I could enjoy reading to him each night, he had grown out of his other books, (and I had read them so many times was loosing the will to live!) - this book, and have also bought Mr Stink, is just brilliant, for kids and adults alike, there arent many books that can achieve this, and am looking forward to reading them all!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gangsta "brilliant" Granny, 6 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Kindle Edition)
this was a brilliant book the had my sides splitting and then my tears rolling (both of these not litretly) david waliams books are the only books that actually make me laugh out loud.
verdict: wonderfull book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gangsta Granny, 6 Oct. 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Paperback)
As a general rule I try to stay away from novels written by celebrities, mainly because the ones I have read weren't very good (except for Elixir by Hilary Duff). However, I'm a big fan of children's fiction, especially humorous children's fiction, so thought it was about time I gave David Walliams a chance. All the kids love him, we sell loads of copies at work and a new book by him is getting to be a major publishing event. After reading Gangsta Granny I see why he's so popular - I laughed (a lot), I agreed with his underlying messages and I very nearly shed a tear at the end.

Gangsta Granny is all about Ben, an eleven-year-old aspiring plumber who thinks his granny is painfully old and boring. She never leaves the house, smells of cabbage all the time and only ever plays Scrabble. He hates staying at her house, or spending any time with her at all, until one day when he discovers some jewels in a tin and finds out his dear old granny is a jewel thief! Together they concoct a crazy heist plan that includes a trip to London on a slow mobility scooter, a wetsuit and a meeting with a very important person.

Gangsta Granny may be very mad and very funny, but it's sad and sentimental too. Granny finds herself not in the best of health, and this teaches Ben that granny's won't be there forever, and that he should spend time with her and appreciate her as much as possible. It's a lesson for us all, really; grandparents aren't invincible and yes, they might be old and smell of cabbage, but that doesn't mean they don't have a lifetime of fascinating stories to tell.

Gangsta Granny is a brilliant book for children. It's funny, well written and includes illustrations that compliment the story. I became quite attached to granny and her four-miles-an-hour mobility scooter and pocket of Murray Mints - she reminded me of my own Nanna who is quite old but doesn't like to think she is. I'll be reading more by David Walliams when I get chance, probably starting with Demon Dentist as that one sounds right up my gruesome street!

3.0 out of 5 stars The children liked it at least..., 3 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Audio CD)
...and that's what counts I suppose. We listened to the CD on a car journey, and our 8 and 11 year daughters thought it was funny and entertaining. It's a bonus when adults can enjoy a book as well, but we didn't think it was very well written. I found parts of it almost depressing in fact; there's no explanation for why Ben's parents are so horrible to him, and why they apparently feel utter hatred for his grandmother (who is presumably the mother of one of them.) Yes, some parents are very bad, but that's not entertaining. I suspect this is just easy characterisation, in the same vein as the repetitive cabbage gag with the granny, and the stereotypical Indian shopkeeper. In David Walliams's reading, he puts on his usual funny voices (familiar from Little Britain) for all of the adult characters, yet for Ben he uses his own normal voice, which seemed odd to me; the voice of a middle class adult cutting in makes it seem as if Ben is somehow more sensible and knowing than the dreadful adult characters, yet this is a child who is meant to be obsessed by plumbing, and so is definitely meant to have some quirky personality of his own, yet that doesn't come across as part of him. He apparently finds his Granny deadly dull, although she is a fan of thriller novels in which he has no interest, while he loves Plumbers' Weekly... does that make sense? In fact I ended up feeling that the whole plumbing thing was only there to provide the boy's knowledge for the later escapade with his granny; as a result I felt that his character just didn't stack up.
The covers and the style of writing do seem to point to a wish to follow in the footsteps of Roald Dahl, but I don't think this is at that level at all. Never mind, the children did like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniel's fantastic book review, 17 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Gangsta Granny (Paperback)
Gangster Granny is a great book for anyone with a sense of humour.
And also you want to carry on reading David Walliam's books, these books are five star. The characters are Ben, Granny, Mum and Dad. The best bit is when the queen says she met a young boy and an old lady and she describes them well and they are going to steal the crown jewels.
If you like David Walliam’s books get all of them because they are amazing books.
GET THIS BOOK!!!!!

book review by Daniel from Mrs Murden's class

Gangsta Granny
Gangsta Granny by David Walliams (Paperback - 28 Feb. 2013)