on 27 September 2013
Very interesting view into his life and what drove him to such heights. I highly recommend this interesting lively book.
on 10 November 2013
It is very good and cool, especially if you like athletics. He really lets you into what happens behind the scenes. LEGENDARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VINE VOICEon 17 December 2013
I found this book really enjoyable, it was fun to read and certainly quite entertaining.

BUT it did lack the 'life story' element - the book starts with Usain was already in training and gives pretty much no background stories about him growing up, etc. If you'd like to understand his motivation and journey through his sporting career then this book is for you. If you want something more in-depth and about his real life story then you'll be disappointed.
on 16 October 2013
Learnt a lot about Usain Bolt, who comes across as a very likeable person. Never knew how he graduated to 100m so was a good read. Good delivery as well
on 24 September 2013
Fabulous down to earth account of an extra ordinary athlete and human being's life. An honest account of what life is like, with no pretentious nonsense. An inspirational read for anyone, even those that aren't into sport. An outlook on life that should be applauded.
on 9 May 2015
I thought this book would be the typical narrative filled with facade and self elevation. However, it was quite the contrast... I could not put this book down. I thought that Usain was quite real in his accounts and shared aspects of his career that most people were curious about: his false start, London 2012 eating and sporting habits etc. There are a few 'take aways' as well- his determination and drive to succeed, manners and respect taught by his parents...this book is great read.
on 21 December 2013
I am an avid reader and collector of autobiographies this is up there with the best! I really felt taken on the journey with this amazing man...so well written not formulaic as so many other autobiography books...im not into track n field but he drawes you to read every word articulatly written..I felt I was there with him each step of his long journey. It was an education... informative passionate and left in total respect of this charismatic athlete...roll on Rio
on 28 October 2013
A truely inspirational human being...the book begins talking about a near death experience. A car accident that he had with a couple of friends and his love for speed.. it just shows how humble he is and how hard he has worked to be where he is. He shouldnt be able to run at the speed he can for the size that he is that is why he is a super human. A must read and a truely suprising story of such an incredable mans life
on 15 May 2014
Athletes learn how to endure suffering. Elite athlete are masters at motivating themselves to give their best at critical times. Track athletes often prepare for the whole year to be at their peak performance for just one day, or even only 10 seconds for sprinters. I recently read Usain Bolt "Faster than lightning: my autobiography" and this is what I have learned about motivation.

RIVALRY:

Yohan Blake won both the 100m and 200m at the Jamaican Olympic trials for London. Usain Bolt finished only second and he was vexed. A few days later, while watching the race on TV, he noted something that gave him "such a fury": "the kid was running to the stands and celebrating in front of the bleachers. A finger was pressed on his lips Ssshhhhh! It seemed to me like he was telling the rest of the field to keep quiet - me included. (...) That one gesture had got my engine running. In an instant, I was psyched, revved up. Every step I made on the track after that evening on the sofa came from a place of pride, because I was training for Blake as well as the defense of my Olympic titles. I wanted to show up in London and prove to him and the world that I was a champion."

FAITH:

Usain Bolt starts his book recounting a serious car accident where he nearly lost his life. "This accident was the realization that my life had been saved by somebody else, and I didn't mean the designer of my airbag, or the car's seat belts. instead, a higher power had kept me alive. God Almighty. I took the accident to be a message from above, a sign that I'd been chosen to become The Fastest Man on Earth. My theory was that God needed me to be fit and well so I could follow the path He'd set me all those years ago when I first ran through the forest in Jamaica as a kid. I'd always believed that everything happened for a reason. (...) The Man Above had given me a gift and it was now down to me to make the most of it. My eyes had been open, I had God in my corner, and he had put me on earth to run _ and faster than any athlete, ever."

He continues in another chapter: " God always helped people who helped themselves. So whenever I was on a start line and I knew I'd done the work my coach had set me in training, I grabbed the crucifix around my neck, looked up in the sky and asked Him for enough strength to do my best."

INSPIRATION:

Usain Bolt recalls his early years of training and his coach's advice: "Coach told me to get a focus, an inspiration, something I could aim for whenever I trained, either on the gym or on the track. - You have to want something, he said. You have to set yourself goals so you can push yourself harder. Desire is the key to success."
on 12 December 2013
I bought this book for my 9 year old grandson, who does not enjoy reading. He loved it because it was a about a topic he enjoyed after watching the olympics. It was delivered on time and was well packaged, it has encouraged him to read without really thinking about it. Would definitely recommend this.