5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Mysterious
Published on 12 Nov 2010 by Sue the Cook

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to download
Purchased this book as part of our book group choice for this year. Disappointed with the content as felt more like magazine short stories and lacked 'bite'.
Published 2 months ago by claire dyson

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Mysterious, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
Salley Vickers' well-known light touch and shrewd psychological analysis is brilliantly displayed in this collection of stories exploring the theme of love. The theme is captivatingly portrayed in the title story, whose subject, Aphrodite naked but for a wonderful hat in a painting by Cranach, suggestively adorns the cover. The stories are clever, poignant, wise and often disconcerting and strange. Few are about resolved love, many about the gaps, tragedies and pot holes of love. There are several slightly ghostly stories (I especially liked the one about the poet John Keats) and some very funny ones too (Mrs Radinsky about a medium and The Deal about a precocious six-year old getting the better of her parents). But my favourite was The Indian Child where a 'loquacious' Shakespeare meets and talks with his own creations. For those who loved Miss Garnet's Angel this is vintage Vickers beautifully presented and in cracking form.

5.0 out of 5 stars A collection of real gems, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
Salley Vickers is one of my favourite novelists so I was delighted to find this, her first collection of short stories. She proves herself to be a master of the form, which seems particularly well suited to her deceptively subtle style. The lightness of touch disguises some sudden dives into depths of emotion, so that the reader is frequently caught off guard by the twist in the tale, as in the clever title story of the collection, or The Buried Life, which is a painfully accurate account of the pitfalls of making new relationships when there are children. But there are happy stories here too, such as the delightful Shakespearian fairy tail, The Indian Child, or the witty Green Bus to St Ives, about an unusual late love affair. Exquisite stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short Stories Re-discovered, 16 Mar 2011
A. J. Russell-pattison "Tony" (Manchester. U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
I have never been a great fan of short stories or collections of them. I generally find that they are too dense and esoteric, trying to cram to much into a genre which does not afford the space or abrupt and under developed. A friend sent me this book (good job, from the title and cover I would probably not have lifted it from a book display) and I started without much joy. I soon, however, gained much joy on realising that this author has achieved what everyone says is so hard, namley to crack short story writing. With deceptive simplicity and true skill she crafts each story well. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 18 Nov 2010
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
Having read a number of Salley Vickers books, I always look out for a new one. Usually I am not a short story reader but I was delighted by this book. All the stories have the usual ingredients of Culture, Spirituality and Insight which are a feature of Salley Vickers writing. For those who do not have much time to give to reading but who want to read something meaningful, this is an ideal book. I do hope Salley writes more short stories, I am sure that her professional experience has afforded her a wealth of ideas to draw upon.

4.0 out of 5 stars A charming and cohesive collection, 21 Sep 2011
bookelephant (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
I am not wild about collections of short stories generally - either the stories are overcompressed or too slight, or the sheer variety of the subject matter jars. This is a collection which I feel steers a good middle course. In confining the theme to love, the collection has sufficient cohesion. But each story has something a little different to say, and one reads it with a smile of enjoyment or acknowledgement.
Having said that though, I recently read Midsummer Night in the Workhouse - Diana Athill's collection of short stories about love, and in terms of skill, point and vision I felt these were quite a long way ahead. Part of the problem with the Vickers collection is that her calm semi detached - quasi psychoanalytical? - approach does place a barrier between the reader and the story. One observes wisely, from a distance; with Athill one lives the experience with her ...
So a pleasant enjoyable read, but not likely to be your book of the year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to download, 25 May 2014
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars OK!, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Hardcover)
I found the stories in this book very uneven in terms of how they engaged my interest. I am a tremendous fan of Salley Vickers' novels, but I feel that the short story format does not lend itself to the deep psychological portrayals of which is the mistress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Salley Vickers does it again, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Kindle Edition)
Vickers demonstrates her amazing talent for detail and capturing amazing carachters in the short story mode as easily as she does in the full length story. In a few pages I felt I knew the carachters intimately, there was enough information for you to instinctively "know" what had not been written.
Vickers must write faster, I have almost caught up and read most of what she has written.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's some and some, 13 July 2013
TillyTee (Salisbury, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Paperback)
Some of the short stories worked very well - others I felt were disappointing - but everybody's tastes are different. I much prefer other books by Sally Vickers and have read several of them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Aphrodite's hat by Salley Vickers, 30 May 2013
This review is from: Aphrodite's Hat (Paperback)
I am not a fan of short stories. But this book was selected by our book club. I sometimes feel that these are ideas which the author found unsatisfactory for a full length novel and bunched them all together into a book of short stories. They are easy to read well written but could not understand why there was suddenly a longer story just passed the middle of the book. Not a book I would recommend to anyone. Just another one for the charity shop

Aphrodite's Hat
Aphrodite's Hat by Salley Vickers (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)
5.59