5.0 out of 5 stars Great time passer!
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by Jimifan1970

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
to hard for me to solve but it's fun
Published 1 month ago by Anne Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Great time passer!, 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
Bought this to while away a long flight to Bangkok (and back), and it served its purpose admirably. I do The Times Cryptic regularly so know most of the tricks the compilers use, but, even so, some of these puzzles are fiendishly difficult. Others you can polish off in a few minutes and put a smug smile on your face if anyone's looking, which of course they never are. Unless you cheat and slyly look up the answers in the back, in which case everyone on the plane seems to be glancing in your direction. A guilty conscience is a burden.

Incidentally, there is a useful Beginner's Guide and worked example at the front to help anyone who wants to begin to learn how to tackle the world's most famous crossword.

All in all a safe bet for solutionists everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Times Cryptic Crossword no. 15, 5 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
As a keen cryptic crossword solver from way back this book is very challenging
and provides quality time to keep the brain active.I am always amazed by the ingenuity of the compiler and enjoy quiet moments of personal satisfaction when
solving the clues.
The purchase met all my expectations and more and was especially significant to me
living in Australia where cryptic crosswords are not so popular. Obviously the purchase is of a particular type and those unfortunate people who have no interest in cryptic puzzles would never appreciate the product. But anyone with a desire to learn or develop their ability in this area should invest the small sum and reap the rewards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does What It Says In The Tin, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
I enjoy cryptic crosswords and have tried e-crosswords but I like paper ones best. These are cryptic but not hard, all doable without a dictionary or other aids so great for taking on journeys. You get plenty of margin for trying out anagrams. I've occasionally seen a clue/solution which looked badly crafted but most are good, some are very witty, one or two are quite brilliant - classic crossword quality. Saved my sanity when waiting eight hours to board a delayed flight :-) worth every penny.

I also bought some Guardian cryptic crosswords books from Amazon and I recommend them too. I think the Guardian ones can be tougher. My favourite setter is Araucaria and there's no way I'd try one of his without having at least a dictionary to hand (and better yet an internet connection to look up quotations and stuff).

The classic cryptic crossword is quintessentially English, Anglican, obsessed with cricket. You might find these puzzles a bit hard to get into if you know nothing about such things. I hope a new generation of setters (including some women, non-Anglicans, and non-sportsmen) will give us more crossword puzzles, as well made as the old puzzles, but which are less narrow in their cultural allusions - trying to solve a crossword set by a Muslim woman who is obsessed by knitting, hang-gliding, and Mexican soap operas would certainly stretch my abilities. I look forward to the day! Chuckle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 July 2014

M. Lofthouse - See all my reviews
Handy for travel

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Introduction, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
I bought this to try and understand how the cryptic crossword in the Times works. It did the job but as the paper now has an easier version it would be best for the beginner to start with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossword puzzle addict, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
London Times Cryptic is the *only* crossword! Since I'm across the "Pond" I don't get the daily paper, so it's great to be able to buy the collections on Amazon UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of enjoyment!, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
This sounds a bit sad, but I love doing the crossword with my breakfast in the morning. For me this is a great collection of challenging, but not impossible, puzzles. There is a good range, some being easier than others! Highly recommended if you like cryptic crosswords.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just up my street, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 (Paperback)
Very pleased with the book. I love crosswords and this is a good compilation. Keeps me happy in my retirement.

The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15
The Times Cryptic Crossword Book 15 by The Times Mind Games (Paperback - 6 Jan 2011)
4.79