4.0 out of 5 stars A riotous page-turner
Unlike the previous commenter, I've actually a) got hold of a copy of the book and b) read it before typing my review.

I'll admit I'm not a particular fan of GNR, but I am a big fan of rock biogs and I loved the Motley Crue book 'The Dirt' without liking them, so I had big hopes for Adler. And I wasn't disappointed.

Unsurprisingly, he has a bit of...
Published on 6 Aug. 2010 by MadamJMo

3.0 out of 5 stars Adlers version of events
These Rock star autobiographies all seem to follow the same theme its like there's a template. Young parents have kid, - spit up. Mom moves to California, kid gets into trouble at school, drops out. Forms rock band, dabbles with drugs. Struggles for years with multiple changes to the line up. Things suddenly take off - big success lots of partying, leads to drug...
Published 3 months ago by Gari

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting if somewhat unbelivable, 25 Jan. 2011
This is a great read but i still find it a little hard to beleive that someone who has spent more then 20 years strung out or off his head can remember so much and so many details. But it does give another side to the whole G'N'R's story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Crazy, Heart breaking, Truly GNR material, 26 Feb. 2013
Brilliant read for any GNR fan, also anyone who has read Slash's or Duff's books will really enjoy it, as its a different take on the band. It was completely heart breaking at times too, he is open and honest and really pulls you into his world. It's also a great read for any new GNR fans (like myself) gives a great insight into the band at their most incredible, painstaking over the world point's that we unfortunately didn't get to witness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steven Adler Autobiography, 25 Nov. 2011
This review is from: My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns 'N' Roses (Paperback)
A look into the life of Steven Adler...This book look's at his year's with Guns n' roses as well as his year's coping with drug abuse.
When i started reading this book 2 thought's occurred....How bad was the drug use in GN'R and was Axl really to blame.
Luckily both questions get answered and many more arise.
If you're a fan of GN'R then this is a must read...though not as good as Slash's book but definetiley better than Duff's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars G'n'R Steven Adler, 14 Jan. 2011
A must RECOMMENDED! for any Guns and Roses fan who was there from the beginning of their career and wants a peek at the real story behind the members of the band. Book was bought as a present and has been absolutely compelling. Very much compliments the Slash book which was released a few years ago. Steve tells us about his journey before and after his career with G'n'R. A miracle he is still alive to tell us his story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steven's side of the story, 27 Nov. 2010
After reading Slash's Auto Biography and loving it, I thought it would be great is the other members did the same so we can get to know there take on Guns N Roses. When I saw this book I had to have it. I read the book from end to end and struggled to put it down. Well worth buying if you're a fan of the original GNR.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for a GNR fan, but the style is annoying., 20 Jun. 2013
There's some interesting stuff in this book, but it is written in small sections, each with a little heading. This makes it disjointed and interrupts the flow when reading.

Also there are quite a few gaps in events - possibly understandably.

Duff's and Slash's books are a better read.

2.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't my fault!, 12 Sept. 2010
Dave H (London, England) - See all my reviews
As a lifelong G`n`R fan who saw them on their first visit to London 'way back when', i was looking forward to reading all about a fifth of the most influential band of a generation.
Well, i was sadly disappointed.

The first section covered just about every rock n roll cliche going, from losing his virginity at 12, on drugs by 13 and working 3 jobs at 15.

As a previous reviewer said, there seems to be an undercurrent of blaming everyone else for his behaviour and generally comes across as an ungrateful waste talent.

It's widely known that all five original members lived the rock n lifestyle, but whereas other "rockstars" show some regret at their excesses, Adler seems to just want to carry on and destroy himself in the end.

I wish i'd not given him another twenty quid to fund it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 Feb. 2013
A must read if your a fan! Steven Adler has had an amazing life and the book is well worth a read, also reading 'Slash' and there are a few contradictions but another book well worth reading if you're a huge fan

4.0 out of 5 stars appetite is not the word!, 4 Mar. 2014
Very heartfelt and honest. I read slash's autobiography first and it was interesting to read two different versions of the same events. It's up to you to choose which you believe but a great read none the less

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing read, 12 Nov. 2011
I'm a huge fan of Guns N' Roses, so I've read my fair share of biographies about them. After reading the band's ex-guitarist, Slash's autobiography, I was more than a bit dubious about picking up ex-drummer Steven Adler's book. After all, he is the one that has the severest drug problems, and probably has the worst memory of all the band members. However, although I was far from blown away by this autobiography, I did end up enjoying it more than I thought I was going to.

Alder starts the story at his childhood, and quickly sets the tone for the rest of the book - whining, moaning, and a whole heap of blaming others for his own mistakes. He is someone that seems to have an excuse for every bad choice he makes, and is convinced that everyone but himself is to blame for his life has turning out the way it has. Although this sort of attitude is okay for a teenager, on a 40+ year-old man, it just seems pathetic.

I also wasn't a huge fan of a lot of the anecdotes Adler chose to share with his readers. They seemed random and many of them were pointless to the progression of his life, so I couldn't understand why he felt the need to keep them in the book. Adler is a recovered drug addict, but you couldn't tell from reading this book - the many ways he glorifies drug-use is mind-boggling. Instead of facing up to his problems, Adler seems to have deluded himself into a false sense of security, and reading this book, I feel that it is only a matter of time before he falls off the wagon
For all these flaws though, I did find myself enjoying this book. It was a quick read and, I will admit, some of the stories Adler shared were very entertaining. Overall though, unless you're a die-hard Guns N' Roses fan, stay away from this book. There are many more rock biographies on shelfs that don't smack of desperation, whining and pathetic attempts to relive the `glory days'.

My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns 'N' Roses
My Appetite for Destruction: Sex & Drugs & Guns 'N' Roses by Steven Adler (Paperback - 7 July 2011)