5.0 out of 5 stars An Eloquent Vision of the True Spirit of Christmas
This book clearly deserves more than five stars. It has become an important Christmas classic that will probably increase its influence on generations to come.
Published on 20 Aug 2004 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars It wasnt as good as I thought it would be
I bought this for a child who was nuts about The cat in the hat. The Grinch isnt quite as good.
Published 7 months ago by missc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eloquent Vision of the True Spirit of Christmas, 20 Aug 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Psychologists have told us for years that many people are depressed by the thought of another Christmas coming. The more laughter, entertaining, and gifts, the more depressed they get. For some this may relate to the darkness of the season as we approach the Winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. For others, it's related to a sense of inadequacy, a gap between how they would like their life to be and how it actually is. From the first time I ever heard this story as a youngster, I've always thought that Dr. Seuss must have known a few such people.
The story opens with a classic statement of contrast.
"Every Who
Down in Who-ville
Liked Christmas a lot . . ."
"But the Grinch,
Who lived just north of Who-ville,
Did NOT!"
We don't know why he didn't like Christmas, just the things he didn't like about it, such as noise, feasting, and singing. The only glimpse we get as to causation for those reactions is a speculation that his heart is two sizes too small.
Unfortunately, his dislike for Christmas carried over to bad feelings towards the Whos.
The primary action in the story is built around the antihero concept of Santa Claus. It makes for good fun, and certainly exercises the reader's imagination in all kinds of humorous ways.
The Whos respond to the Grinch in the true Christmas spirit, which evokes a loving vision of caring that will impress all who read about it.
Then the Grinch has his epiphany that there's spiritual element to Christmas.
If you don't know how the story ends, I'll leave it to you to read it for yourself or to see the movie.
The great strength of this story is that it is aimed at the child reader or listener. At a young age, it is very easy to be overwhelmed by all of the fuss and potential for receiving gifts . . . and not receive much impression of the spiritual meaning of Christmas. When the Whos wake up on Christmas Day and act as they do, you can ask your child why she or he thinks that the Whos did that. Your child may not know. Then you can take the time to explain what you feel their reaction means in terms of your own beliefs. It's a remarkable way to be sure that the true spirit of Christmas is continually reintroduced to the next group of youngsters.
It is inevitable that people compare this story to Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Scrooge and the Grinch each have their new visions of Christmas. When we read Dickens, we read it as a cautionary tale for adults. When we read the Grinch, we read it as a cautionary tale for children and adults. In the long run, the Grinch may be more influential as a result. But you don't have to choose one or the other. You can read and enjoy both each Christmas.
If you cannot afford to spend this much for the book now, you can buy the coloring book version at a much smaller price. It contains the same text.
How do you plan to tell children about Christmas this year? What do you have planned for the holidays that is in the true spirit of Christmas? How can you ease the psychological burden on someone who does not care for the holiday? How will you give the gift of human warmth?
May your heart be filled with love and kindness for all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!!!, 16 Oct 2005
Max (England, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
'How The Grinch Stole Christmas' is one of my favroite Christmas books of all time. It is lovely, it's sweet, easy-reading (as the the rhyming Dr. Suess always does) and it's a little bit like 'Charles Dicken's A Christmas Carol'. The Grinch loathes Christmas, and he always wants to ruin it and until he plots to STEAL Christmas! Will his sinsister plot work? When I saw the film entitled simply, 'The Grinch' I adored it, but when I read the orignal Dr. Suess book, it profoundly and strangely took my breath away!!! This should be recommened to any Dr. Suess, or so to speak, 'The Cat In The Hat' fan! Dr. Suess is one of my favroite authors as well as Roald Dahl!!!
From a humongous Roald Dahl fan:
Max William James Keogh
P.S: When I grow up, I want to be a author like Roald Dahl!!!
Age 12

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and humour for yongsters and adults alike!, 14 Dec 2001
callanmk@aol.com (Milton Keynes, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book for a 3 year old. It was enjoyed not only by a 3 year old but also by an adult! A truely magical story written in an amazing style for all ages and simple but colourful pictures. Dr Seuss books are a must for any child and make reading an enjoyment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful rhymes and made-up words to appeal to all ages., 23 Feb 2001
By A Customer
The invention of new language is always a plus for children experimenting with new words every day. This delightful poem gives them a whole new vocabulary which combines with simple rhymes to promote a real interest in the story. The nasty Grinch becomes good in the end, just like all little boys and girls lose their grumpy mood in the end. The main theme is that Christmas is more than just the presents and this book leaves the door open for parents and carers to explore this topic further, in any direction they wish. Demands to be read aloud and the rhyming allows the children to fill in the end of each sentence with ease. Lovely book which will be read again and again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge for Kids, 9 Dec 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Maybe that's oversimplifying a bit, but the basics are the same. In this story, we have the Grinch, who hates Christmas and every year must put up with the celebration of the Whos who live in the valley below his cave. But this year things will be different. This year, he intends to do something about it. Surely the Whos will be disappointed when they wake up Christmas morning to discover that all their presents and decorations have been stolen. Or will they?
Told is classic Seuss fashion, completely in rhymes, this book appeals to kids year round. I know I insisted that it be read to me more then just in December. The fanciful illustrations, also classic Seuss, are just as engaging as this story. After all, what could be worse to kids then no Christmas? Yet there is a message here that there is more to Christmas then the commercialism we see around us. It’s subtle and not expanded on greatly, but it’s there none-the-less.
Surely Charles Dickens' classic tale was an influence when Dr. Seuss sat down to write this book. Both the main characters hate Christmas and miss the point, but have a revelation that shows them how important Christmas really is. Of course, the meat of the stories is completely different, so kids not ready for Dickens will love this one.
If there is such a thing as a classic picture book, this belongs in that category. Enjoyable at Christmas, or the whole year round.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'He himself, the Grinch stole Christmas!', 22 Oct 2005
Max (England, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This is a glorious Dr. Suess tale! This story pokes out a few reminders of Scrooge, but nevertheless this book is the one for beginners! 'Dr. Suess's How The Grinch Stole Christmas' is about a black-hearted creature called, The Grinch and he loathes Christmas and he wishes to take Christmas on, and destroy this festive season! Until one dark night he has a wondeful, awful idea to steal Christmas once and for all! But will his evil plan work? Let's hope not...
Here's an extract from the story so that you have a few helpful hints so you know what the theme of the story is:
'The Grinch hated Christmas, the whole Christmas season!',
'Now, please don't ask why, no-one quite knows the reason!'
'Maybe because his head wasn't screwed on just right,'
'It could be perhaps that his shoes were to tight,'
'But I think the most likely reason of all'
'Maybe his heart was two sizes, two small...'

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, festive, and a lesson in values, 15 Dec 2010
S. Miller (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr Seuss) (Paperback)
My son was given this book at the age of 9 months - and it was also my first introduction to Dr Seuss books. It became a firm favourite from the start, and I've read this wonderful book to him and his younger brother every year ever since.(Well, OK that's not strictly true as they're in their 20s now, so these days I have to read it to myself/any visiting children..!) As children they both loved it, and enjoyed reading it themselves as soon as they were old enough. It was always repeatedly requested as their bedtime story as soon as the decorations went up, and was invariably THE special Christmas Eve bedtime story.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas embraces all the finest qualities of Dr Seuss - his wonderful sense of fun, emotive illustrations, lyrical language, rhyme and rhythm, choice of delightfully descriptive words (e.g. "..And he puzzled 3 hours 'til his puzzler was sore.."), all packed into a great story with a powerful message at the end demonstrating how the true magic of Christmas does NOT "come from a store"... Great stuff - I enjoyed it every bit as much as they did - and I still do!

5.0 out of 5 stars HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS, (Dr Seuss)., 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr Seuss) (Paperback)
Already life long fans of Dr Seuss, we bought this book for bedtime storytime for our two children aged 3 and 7. It's just brilliant, captivating and funny, and they love it, which is more important than why we love it! We have added it to our Dr Seuss collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for any time of the year (not just Christmas), 3 Nov 2013
Michael W Jones "M Jones" (Cardiff, Glamorganshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr Seuss) (Paperback)
I grew up having this book read to me and now I'm reading it to my daughter (7). She loves it, too. The rhyming text, part of the charm of Dr Seuss is wonderful. This is a classic that should be enjoyed by both parent and child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 20 Mar 2013
Discovered that I had not read this book (even though I am now a grandparent). Someone mentioned it at our WI meeting. Lovely, feel good book about the real meaning of Christmas.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr Seuss)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Dr Seuss) by Dr. Seuss (Paperback - 28 Oct 2010)
6.99