4.0 out of 5 stars We're British innit
A witty, well written guide to the social norms of Britain today. Invaluable for any expatriate returning home!
Published on 16 July 2009 by Nippo

3.0 out of 5 stars An Irreverent A-Z of all things British
"We're British, Innit" is a book that the author, or publishers, cites as `the real Citizenship test'. And they are not wrong as it certainly does cover a wide range of issues and quirky habits that those who do not know us Brits well as a nation may well need to be filled in on to get a basic understanding of what we are all about.

This is a book that is quite...
Published on 27 Aug 2008 by J.E.T

4.0 out of 5 stars We're British innit, 16 July 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars Witty and amusing and very British, 25 Jun 2009
Anthony Lynas (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We're British, Innit is exactly what it says it is - a mildly irreverent look at our national foibles. In places, it's very funny indeed and there's a healthy dose of irony bubbling underneath many of the entries - with many of the most satirical barbs being held back for the way the British media would like us to think of our nation. Aitch's grounding is probably similar to, say, Caroline Aherne's - because the humour has the same feel to it - both in terms of the strata of society it is conceived from and in terms of its cynicism for all that's "Cool Britannia" - as something like the Royle Family.

Its the sort of book that would make a great present for a "grumpy old man", not that they get off lightly inside it.

3.0 out of 5 stars An Irreverent A-Z of all things British, 27 Aug 2008
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is a book that is quite similar to a number around at the moment, and in recent years, but focuses purely on subjects that are quintessentially British. It goes from the old fashioned Queen Victoria, crumpets, red telephone boxes and beefeaters, to the more modern page 3, dogging, Argos and Pot Noodles.

With little sections on virtually everything we now see as British, including of course the typical fish and chips, queuing and the weather, this is something that any Brit may find amusing. My problem though was that it did little more than raise a smile. When I got this book I was hoping for something that would thoroughly amuse and have me laughing out loud, but this was sadly not the case.

Whilst a good book, and something I would certainly think about giving as a gift or stocking filler at Christmas, if you are looking for pure comedic talent then you are probably better searching for it elsewhere. I do like the book though, and would look at it I wanted to make a little harmless fun of Great Britain, feel a little nostalgia at our little quirks, or just wanted to share an anecdote with friends.

Another small criticism of this is that it is not family reading as is not suitable for children; this is because it has some sections on swear words, or things of a mildly sexual nature. The book does not claim to be suitable for a younger audience, but I felt that it was right to point this fact out for those who were wondering. But for an adult audience it is fine and could provide a little amusement from time to time.

It has the right intentions behind it, and does the job it hopes to do, but is not really something I would pick up whenever I needed a good laugh. Excellent to dip in and out of, and maybe to share a little of with friends, this is something that is good for when you have that extra bit of time on your hands or want something to have a look at over a cup of tea (after all, we are British...).

4.0 out of 5 stars A funny, ironic dip - in book that's just a little unsettling at times., 28 Aug 2008
A. I. McCulloch "Andrea" (Co Durham) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really wanted to like this book and to give it five stars - I love dip-in books that can be picked up and chuckled over again and again. Some of Iain Aitch's observations on the essential nature of Britishness are spot-on,("Other popular imperial measurements are the double-decker bus and the size of Wales") but others have a faint whiff of bigotry mixed with the satire that I found a little unsettling.
The book describes itself as "The Real Citizenship Test," I had toyed with the idea of passing the book on to some Polish friends as a joke, but thought ... no,in its heavy use of irony, it's TOO British.

The book cross-references itself throughout, with the entry for Pot Noodle neatly linking to the Corner Shop for example. This could prove an interesting way of reading the book rather than the A-Z format- it would have been possible to have created more original categories, perhaps. However, the book does have a good index, though with a plethora of bogus facts inserted for joke purposes, would one really want to use this as a reference book?

I suspect that the male members of any household this book finds itself in will quietly spirit it away to the smallest room to take its place alongside the QI series, and others of that ilk. It should live quite happily there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Childish humour but harmless fun., 10 Sep 2008
sam155 (Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an A-Z format book which makes it ideal to have by the bed and dip in or out of. It gave me a few smiles but no belly laughs and doesn't take itself too seriously. In fact, if you feel the author has missed anything out, you can email him and he will include the best five in the paperback edition, which made me pay even more attention to the book.

Its certainly contemporary, containing amusing class conscious descriptions of how the posh love Harrods, the middle class love Habitat and for the rest, there is Argos! Its interesting to read about how a simple fried breakfast varies around the country from the basic bacon and eggs to the black pudding, square sausage slice and soda farls you have in Northern Ireland and Scotland. Although being Welsh, I can't say I have ever had laver bread with my bacon! I also found it a bit too flippant in places but I realise that's the general tone of the book, after all- its not a volume of history, although there is some history in it.

Overall, its a very affectionate book and it doesn't do any harm to count your blessings and think what a lovely, odd, unique sort of country we live in. A great gift book for ex pats or overseas relatives or anyone who loves Britain.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cheeky little book on all things British!, 14 Sep 2008
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly, I must admit - I DO enjoy these types of books. They revel in all things British but do so in a tongue-in-cheek way - it's important not to get too hung up on our national heritage! We're quite an eccentric lot when you look at us - and this book brings this fact out in full.

The book is alphabetical rather than by topic which probably meant sense to the author - although I'd have preferred it by topic myself. For instance the "C" chapter covers Caravanning, Carry-On, Changing the Guard, Chavs, Cheese-rolling, Chips, Church Bells, Churchill etc - all described in an amusing way. Some entries will make you mildly titter and others will make you laugh-out-loud.

All in all an excellent little book - almost 250 pages of "irreverent" humour. I'm guessing it will be a popular book for "male significant others" at xmas!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mild funny stocking filler - keep by the loo, 24 Aug 2008
Colin Fortune (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is the sort of thing that is good for dipping into when waiting for something to happen and so will find its natural place either next to the loo or in the dentist's waiting room. The other possibility is as use as a Christmas stocking filler (when the book will migrate to the "smallest room" anyway and you will be able to read it, if you wish, when visiting the person you gave it to!).

This is hardly great humour and is also nothing to wondered about too much: the British have been good in recent years in sending themselves up, but there is a certain self-congratulation about this. Whoever Mr Aitch is (obviously a nom-de-plume) we assume he (she?) is British and so are prepared to allow the gentle "digs" at our idiosyncrasies. Should he/she, however, turn out to be French then there is enough material for a major diplomatic incident.

Recommended as an impulse buy that you will want to pass on very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really British, 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British (Paperback)
Awesome! Really British! A must for anyone who wants to remember all things British or whoever has to prepare for Britain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly amusing, 23 Aug 2008
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A somewhat irreverent look at everything British, or what defines the British, We're British, Innit is arranged alphabetically by subject and includes entries as diverse as Ants, Boudica, The Beatles, Harrods, Net Curtains, Queuing, Rhubarb and Grammar (errors of which can be found in the book). More entertaining or amusing than outright funny, it provides a pleasurable diversion; probable best taken in small doses.

It is far from a substantial book at a little over 200 pages, each encyclopaedic style entry on average occupying just over half a page of extravagantly line-spaced text. Also included is short quiz to test How British Are You, as well as an Index.

While this is clearly not the place to look for the facts, it does yet give a fairly good, if clichéd, overview of what makes the British so very British.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Curates Egg, 6 Sep 2008
Roger Rebec "Roger Rebec" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The curate's egg was good in parts and I couldn't better sum up this book than by using this description.

There are some genuinely laugh out loud items, quite a lot of them, in fact. Interestingly, most of these feature in the first half of the book. I did not find the second half nearly so funny.

However, the book is definitely worth dipping into and would be very useful to have with you on a journey if you needed to be constantly checking changing departure times and couldn't allow yourself to get too absorbed in what you were reading. It would be useful to read out loud to the members of your party in waiting rooms and departure lounges.

I do recommend this book as it will give some really good laughs. However, be warned, it isn't quite so funny as it thinks it is.

We're British, Innit: An Irreverent A to Z of All Things British