5.0 out of 5 stars What a great children's adventure story!
I loved the film as a child and only just discovered it was based on a book. The book is very different but a thrilling read for a 7-11 year old.

The Prisoners' Aid Society of mice have vowed to help people in need. There is a Norwegian imprisoned in the notorious Black Castle, unbreachable and with a famously evil cat in residence.

Bernard, a pantry...
Published 1 month ago by K. J. Noyes

3.0 out of 5 stars No Illustrations!
The Rescuers is a 5 star children's novel. As a child, I loved any sort of mouse adventure stories, but none were as well written as Margary Sharp's 'Miss Bianca' series; and the best of these was easily 'The Rescuers'

Published on 1 Jun 2011 by William J. Harrington

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great children's adventure story!, 6 Aug 2014
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Bernard, a pantry mouse volunteers to speak to the pampered Miss Bianca, an embassy dweller who can help find a Norwegian speaking mouse. Can they find such a mouse? And how will they get into (and then out of) the Black Castle?

Non-stop action and adventure. The three leads make a good team and all have memorable traits, and the scenes with the castle cat are very funny.

I can imagine children going straight from this to the sequels. When my son is old enough I'll be showing him the film and reading him this book.

Another Amazone reviewer has commented on the lack of illustrations in this edition. I can't say I noticed as an adult, but I think if I read this to my son in a few years time he'll be listening to the story so intently he wouldn't need to see a picture.

Not too long, full of excitement and some lovely mouse heroes.

3.0 out of 5 stars No Illustrations!, 1 Jun 2011
William J. Harrington "Boston Bill" (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rescuers (Essential Modern Classics) (Paperback)

However, Garth Willims' illustrations were not a part of this edition, and they really are part of the book. Try to imagine 'Alice in Wonderland' with only text and you'll see what I mean!
This will still make a good read, but I'm going to order antother edition with the illustrations: The Rescuers

The Rescuers (Essential Modern Classics)
The Rescuers (Essential Modern Classics) by Margery Sharp (Paperback - 2 Sep 2010)