5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent approach to learning
Published 20 months ago by LDJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle pace - but much too limited
After reading the great reviews of PN, I am disappointed by the coverage. This could have been so much better.

Published on 12 Aug. 2011 by Nicodemus

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent approach to learning, 31 July 2013
LDJ "Leedjones.co.uk" (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
Unlike most language courses this isn't just a 'brain dump' of vocabulary that you'll memorise then forget in six months time. This course teaches you HOW to construct sentences and does so at a pace that is easy to manage. Many courses start off slowly then quickly evolve into a hurried mess - not so with this course. The pace is reasonable throughout and never changes. The course constantly visits old vocabulary to make sure you haven't forgotten it; which is in keeping with the course ethos of leaning, not memorising.
I've really enjoyed following this course - I just wish there was a follow-up course which would build on the knowledge already gained.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective and at a sensible price, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I've been trying to learn Spanish off and on for the last 5 years and have tried quite a few options, but this is by far the most effective yet. I've always considered myself to be very poor at languages, and really struggled at school, spending 9 years learning French and hardly being able to speak a word! To learn Spanish, first I tried with the Pimsleur Course, which I failed to finish: it's very good, but doesn't get you into the language nearly as quickly, and the words and phrases aren't as immediately useful. Ultimately it seems like it would be more comprehensive, but it's also entirely South American Spanish rather than Spanish Spanish, which left my Spanish wife giggling at some of the words I came out with. Next I tried Michel Thomas: quite different to Pimsleur and a much more effective approach. However I did find it a bit tedious after a while, and somewhere along the way I seemed to get lost. I got about half way through and then my enthusiasm fizzled out. Finally I discovered Paul Noble's course - it caught my eye as I'd seen him on TV sometime speaking in about a dozen different languages so I figured it's worth a go. I'm really happy that I did. The approach takes some cues from the Michel Thomas one, but a lot more effective and way, way more logical. I was very quickly more confident and on my trip to Spain this month was finally able to hold a reasonable conversation. I think that with the other courses I always felt like I was trying to remember phrases, but after this one I was able to just make things up. I'm really happy with the purchase - I've found other language courses I've tried have been very expensive and ultimately I've questioned the value as I've never finished them. With this one I really feel that I've found a great course for a reasonable price and am very happy. Muchas gracias Paul! Eres un buen profesor!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gentle pace - but much too limited, 12 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)

I am a big fan of Michel Thomas, having used it to kick-start my learning of Italian, and bought the French course for my daughter. But I am well aware of the annoyances of MT - his tendency to mumble sometimes; the infuriating students; the lack of native speakers.

So I was hopeful that PN would be MT but better (as some reviewers have suggested).
The good points about PN are -
- His voice is clearer than MT's
- He uses native speakers (from Spain & S America) instead of stumbling students
- He chooses topics that are a bit more practical (Hotels, Taxis, Eating etc) whereas MT sometimes seems a bit abstract ("I would like to do it for you that way but unfortunately it is impossible for me today")

The problem is he covers so much less of the language. With MT you have to listen to the students making the same mistakes over and over again. With PN, you have to listen to Paul explaining the same points again and again and again. So by the end of the last disc you are still practicing basics from the beginning of the course. By the end of MT's foundation and advanced courses, you have covered past, present, imperfect, conditional, future, subjunctive, imperative verb tenses. Plus all sorts of other important aspects of the language. Whereas with PN you barely scratch the surface.

I had to listen to some of the MT discs several times before it all sank in. But that's ok - it covers a lot of material. Repetition helps you learn. But the PN course has all the repetition built in. So I have steamed through the whole course in a few days, and have mastered 99% of the content - not because it is a great system; simply because it covers so much less. EG. verb-wise it focuses almost exclusively on the past tense, and barely touches future or even present tense. Personally I think it is better value for money if you do have to listen more than once. (Or if he offered more advanced courses to follow on). By contrast MT Italian kept me busy for about 8 weeks.

The other annoying thing is Paul's dumbed-down attitude to grammar. Some of his explanations are very clear. But he labours the point by repeating them again and again. And he assumes that his listeners are too ignorant or nervous of grammar to know what a verb or pronoun is. So he gives long, painful patronising explanations - rather than chuck out a definition and then get on with it.

So 3 stars from me for being a very clear gentle introduction to Spanish, but extremely limited in scope.
I would recommend this if you are really nervous about tackling a foriegn language for the first time. Otherwise use Michel Thomas to get a thorough grounding in grammar, then some other system with native speakers to improve your vocabulary and accent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Es Perfecto!, 27 Mar. 2013
Andy Scott (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I've been trying to learn Spanish for donkeys years. I have friends and family that are fluent and I travel a lot to Spanish speaking countries. But as much as a tried, the courses remained a mystery to me. I'd get so far with the trite, unhelpful 'starter sentences' and then get lost when the jargon appeared. This course concentrates on your actually THINKING rather than repeating like a parrot. It's all about How do YOU formulate this sentence. Past, present and future tenses are covered and recovered. Individuals, groups, formal and informal are covered and recovered. SO instead of learning how to parrot stuff (Impossible if like me you have a terrible memory) - you are actually thinking in Spanish. From where this course leaves you - you have an arsenal of words, a method and the ability to THINK in the language. Can't recommend it enough. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Si, puedo hablar Español ahora!, 17 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
Its so amazing, I almost dont want to tell anyone else about it because then everyone will be able to speak spanish! : ) But honestly, if you want to learn this is fantastic. I have it on in my car and when I'm running and would recommend to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Dec. 2013
Mrs Christine Allen (Tadley United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I find this Spanish learning guide very good. After living in Spain for 4 years and trying so many different ways of learning Spanish i.e. CD's, books, phrase books, dictionaries etc I find Paul Noble's presentation and pronunciation the best so far.
I have already recommended it to friends visiting Spain.

5.0 out of 5 stars ! Es Fantastico !, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I thought I'd give this a go as I am fascinated by languages but find them difficult to retain, My son bought the French course & it makes it so easy to understand that I treated myself to the Spanish one. The fact that you begin with sentences encourages you to continue as you truly feel you are making progress. There is no pressure to get it right first time as you work to your own speed with no one but yourself judging you, & they don't even mind how many times they have to repeat something until you feel confident you have it.
My brother speaks a little Spanish & after one day I called him to practice (haltingly I confess), asking for a room with bath for two people for two nights then reserving a table for dinner. I was amazed that he could tell me exactly what I had said & praised me on my accent!
A fantastic course with various pronunciation given (Spain or Americas) to get you through every day situations as a traveller & I can't rate it highly enough. I'll certainly be getting more, great fun & a great sense of achievement. Deserves more stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I've been studying Spanish for just over a year in classes and self study with a plethora of books and CDs. I struggled with the classes as, although I was getting vocabulary, things such as words used and their order just seemed to change for no reason leaving me very frustrated.

Michel Thomas' CDs helped a lot and were easily ahead of any other material I'd used. However, after getting half way through the Foundation course I found his explanations getting unclear and myself too irritated with his 'not so bright' student and Michel's accent to listen any more. This said, I still recommend these CDs to others.

Paul Noble's course is in a very similar vain to Thomas' with none of the problems. The 2 native speakers are much better and Noble's explanations are much clearer. Each new concept was assimilated effortlessly (as with any good teacher he just seemed to guide me into it) and as a result I've found myself at the end of the course in only a week; taking a look at my materials from my class that were so confusing they now make complete sense.

I can't recommend this product enough and do hope he releases an advanced course.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great aid to learning a language., 25 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
Excellent so far, I'm up to CD 4 out of 12, and already understand more of the Spanish language than I have ever achieved before. Paul Noble is clearly spoken, as are the native Spanish speakers who pronounce each word at a steady rate and only increase their speed as words and sentences become more familiar.
Learning any language isn't easy but this course really does help.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 23 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Learn Spanish with Paul Noble (Audio CD)
I had been learning Spanish for a few months before buying this and was learning by the conventional approach, which in a similar way to French and German at school, completely failed at making me motivated or able to speak the language.

Paul Noble's method was thus very refreshing, and in under two weeks I superseded what I had learnt before in several months. Paul Noble starts with a small selection of nouns and verbs and you soon become fluent with the selection, which gives you the confidence to form sentences with what you know. You begin to realise how a sentence is formulated, and you do it yourself. You realise that the form is far more important than the content, the sound application of the former making the latter simply a question of picking up new words and applying them correctly. Because it is all listening (to Spanish and Latin American natives) and speaking, you quickly appreciate the cadences, pronunciation, and stress of the words and phrases.

However, I found the course pedestrian and slow at times. The scope of topics could also be improved: I understand the focus on tourism but it makes for rather shallow conversation. Yes, learning lots of new words comes second to correct sentence form but I think there could have been more nouns and verbs introduced. In CD 11, the last CD before the review CD, we are still using the same sentences from the first few CDs, like 'I have reserved a table'. Indeed, Paul uses the past tense form of 'I have reserved' a lot but only a few minutes is spent on the other past form of 'I reserved' despite this tense being of equal significance. Similarly, the future tense is dealt with sparsely, and no mention was made of the present tense and future tense 'we' version of the verb being exactly the same, something I picked up on. Maybe this would be understandable if there was a follow up course, but as yet, it doesn't look like there is.

Despite these limitations, this gives you a good start in terms of speaking Spanish. The underlying philosophy is that to speak a language, you have to speak it, an obvious truth that is missed out by the type of study taught in schools that neglect the fact that languages are a practical subject and more closely resemble studies in linguistics. This course gives you a small, but sound base on which to add more words.

Learn Spanish with Paul Noble
Learn Spanish with Paul Noble by Paul Noble (Audio CD - 13 Sept. 2012)