4.0 out of 5 stars APPEALS TO THIS WOMAN OF A DANGEROUS AGE
I really enjoyed Fanny Blakes first novel and l have to say she is doing extremely well as a writer
and really hitting her stride with this book as a novelist of fabulous talent.

The plotline is amazing its a cracking story - two women meet on holiday hit it off immediately and
returning to delightful old Blighty find they have so much more in common...
Published on 22 April 2012 by Mrs. C. Swarfield

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and escapist
Published on 12 May 2012 by Roman Clodia

4.0 out of 5 stars APPEALS TO THIS WOMAN OF A DANGEROUS AGE, 22 April 2012
Mrs. C. Swarfield - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
and really hitting her stride with this book as a novelist of fabulous talent.

returning to delightful old Blighty find they have so much more in common than they could have ever
anticipated. Not in the best of ways either....
What happens next is a victory for common sense, and above all womens ability to overcome the worst
that can be thrown at them.

I absolutely love Lou, shes a good natured chaotic romantic fond of a glass of wine or three - its a
happy liberating read and l was gutted to finish it, well done l am looking forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 28 April 2012
This review is from: Women of a Dangerous Age (Paperback)
How often do you read books that make you look forward to a) your commute and b) going to bed? In my case it's almost never (especially since I hate both of those things) but, when I'm in the middle of a Fanny Blake novel, I want to go to bed early and get on the Tube for at least an hour.

Why? Because her characters feel like friends, and she really gets how important friendship is, her dialogue is spot on, almost uncannily so and I love being in the world she creates, however briefly. Most of all though, and the thing I like best, is that she has a really balanced eye for the absolute ridiculous nature of human endeavour and effort, both recognizing the importance of her characters' desires and ambitions, whilst at the same time gently mocking them in the light of the greater significance of love and relationships. If you want a book that is about real people and relationships, that explores friendship and frailty whilst being both thoughtful and funny then read this. Or the first one, What Women Want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 3 May 2012
pale rider (Truro, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Was intrigued by the reviews - and the good ones are absolutely right! Fanny Blake tells a cracking story and this is a real Thelma and Louise kind of female buddy novel. Women are allies and not automatically rivals over men. It's witty - lots of very recognizeable rather cringe-making detail - good plot twists and a rather wise and satisfactory overall outcome. I really liked it and would recommend it to anyone of a dangerous age - or younger - who wanted an engrossing holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, 30 May 2012
Mrs. T. SALMON "upstreamers" (streatham london) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book , I loved Lou , so much about her I found easy to identify with , as we are of the similar "dangerous age" the worries the too tight shoes , the sags and the drift downwards of the the fromer pert bits. Ali too is a character that I grew too like as you learn more about her it becomes easy to see why she led her life a serrial misstress. I will say the only thing I found a bit samey as other books is the opening of a shop selling vintage clothes , it seems to be a theme running through books of this type at the moment, not a huge problem but I just wonder why. It is nice to read one of these type of books with women of my age in rather than younger women , I would recommend for beach reading , sure to entertain and not depress

3.0 out of 5 stars Light and escapist, 12 May 2012
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our heroines in this book are 45 and 55 and so I was hoping for something a bit different from the ditzy girls who inhabit chick-lit - but no: apparently age doesn't stop women from strewing their huge knickers all over airport concourses, buying beautiful shoes two sizes too small so that they're crippled on big nights out, and getting drunk and waking up in bed with the wrong man.

This kind of light read depends on sympathetic heroines, and I didn't warm to either of these women. 45 year old Ali's prissy eating really irritated me (she's the sort of woman who pays nearly £50 for a hotel champagne tea then `scraped an almost invisible layer of cream onto her scone followed by an equally meagre dab of jam'); and Lou just never sounded right for a woman who'd previously had a big job on a fashion magazine.

So this is light and escapist, a bit rambling, and with no real over-arching plot - not so much chick-lit for grown-ups, as chick-lit featuring older women who still act like they're in their 20s.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 7 Mar 2012
Mistyange "Mistyang" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have passed this dangerous age. I really enjoyed the story of Ali and Lou who met by coincidence in India at the Taj Mahal. I liked both the characters and the storyline. The book follows Lou and Ali as they become friends and business aquaintances, but their love life thats another matter. Ali had been a mistress to married men for so long and Lou recently separated from her husband of many years now her children are grown up. What happen's next, read it and see, it is well worth a read and not having read any of Fanny's books before I quite enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Holiday Read, 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: Women of a Dangerous Age (Paperback)
I'd brought a really serious volume on holiday hoping to get through it in all those hours on the beach but then, just like any of the women characters in Women of a Dangerous Age, I left it in the airport taxi. What a lucky accident! It was with a sense of relief that I turned the pages and met Lou and Ali, Nic, Hooker Don and Sanjeet, each with their own lives, loves and problems, and read how their story developed. Ali, the jewellery designer and serial mistress has a real and embarrassing connection with Lou, the struggling clothes designer, mother and dissatisfied wife just beginning to break away from her husband. They make friends, and the revelations that happen, to them and to the other characters, make this a real page turner, but the book is also full of convincing detail about their jobs, homes and relationships and the hilarious accidents that happen to us all. Above all it's wise and kind, and the ending gives one a real lift. I'd bought Women of a Dangerous Age on the recommendation of a friend because it looked light hearted and a good holiday read, and so it turned out to be, but also, how funny, wise and moving.

3.0 out of 5 stars A competent novel that failed to capture my interest, 2 April 2012
Laura T (Bradford-on-Avon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought this book was better in every sense than Fanny Blake's debut, 'What Women Want'; better-structured, better-written, and with much stronger, more convincing, central characters. However, I still failed to connect with it and found myself skim-reading near the end, and I'm not sure why. The plot is slightly different to the usual chick lit narrative, beginning with Lou and Ali's chance meeting during a package holiday to India. Both women are at turning points in their lives; Lou, who has three grown-up children, has just left her husband and is facing life as a single woman after several decades of marriage. Conversely, the slightly younger Ali is about to move in with her married boyfriend, who has finally decided to leave his wife, and end her career as a `serial mistress'. The women form a strong friendship, but neither could have predicted what's ahead.

I'm not entirely sure what was missing from this novel for me. Although I'm in my mid-twenties, I usually have no trouble identifying with older characters in books, and indeed it can be refreshing, especially in chick lit, to read about characters facing different dilemmas to the usual `who shall I go out with?' disaster. I've had to conclude that the writing simply wasn't pacy and gripping enough to keep me reading. Blake often devotes several pages to describing minor scenarios, such as Lou spilling something on her dress in a restaurant, or her case bursting open at the airport; perhaps these were meant to be humorous moments, but for me, they just slowed the narrative down without providing any form of comic relief.

The parallel plotlines of Lou and Ali's lives also frequently grind to a halt before sputtering into life again. There's a weird hiatus in Ali's narrative where she seems to have nothing to worry about but the untidiness of her boyfriend, before a contrived situation rears its head to provide some kind of tension before the end of the book, and Lou's story also features a couple of contrived crises that don't pay off in terms of character or plot development, such as an incident with a missing child. There is one twist about a third of the way through the novel that is beautifully pulled off, but after that, the tension seemed to slacken hopelessly.

As I've said, there is nothing really `wrong' with this novel; Lou and Ali are likeable and their relationships with family, lovers and each other well-written. For me, it was simply very hard to get into, and for this reason, I don't think I will be reading anything else by Fanny Blake in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good holiday read, 31 Aug 2013
Its a readable book, although the ending is pretty obvious from halfway through the book. There are a couple of continuity errors in there which I find irritating. I also found one of the main characters a bit wimpy, which doesn't help!

Would read another of her books if I found one cheap!

2.0 out of 5 stars yeah, whatever, 3 Aug 2013
Was well disappointed with this one. Unrealistic characters, friendships and relationships. But that's just me. Was expecting better from this author.

Women of a Dangerous Age
Women of a Dangerous Age by Fanny Blake (Paperback - 26 April 2012)