5.0 out of 5 stars Cords and words and love
This is a love story.
Not just between Ifemelu and Obinze, but for a country.
Adichie’s observations on America and Britain are cool, in both senses of the word. Precise, amused, sardonic and aware. Yet when Ifemelu returns to Nigeria, the reader can sense passion.

Young lovers Ifemelu and Obinze are well-off, educated and intelligent...
Published 9 months ago by leekmuncher

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and thought-provoking, but it felt more like a manifesto than a novel.
Having loved Half of a Yellow Sun when it came out, and recently rediscovered Chimamanda via her excellent TED talks, I was excited to read this novel. I really wanted to enjoy it. So it is with mixed feelings and a somewhat heavy heart that I write this review.

Essentially this is a love story between Ifemelu and Obinze. The section of the book describing...
Published 16 months ago by Hodgeheg

‹ Previous | 122 23 2470 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank u for keeping me up till 1am, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
I feel like I started a love affair, completely lost myself blissfully unaware of that thing called work, life, my reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
The end of this book came as a shock. As in, I turned the page and it was over. I liked how it ended- I was expecting to be slapped in the face as payment for my devotion, but I wasn't and I'm grateful for it.

My title 'everything' is both praise and criticism. There was so much in this book that there was ample to love and leftovers to dislike and even feel indifferent about.

Chimamanda has such an easy way with words. A way of looking behind eyes and behind actions to draw out the real meaning behind people's lives and personalities. But for me, in this book, it became a problem because a lot of time it took me out of the story - wondering if it was Ifemelu or Obinze talking or Chimamanda giving her opinions. That was the only problem I had with it.

Apart from that, the book was such a joy to spend time with and it left me wishing I had her way with words.

Here's to her next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
I felt a connection to this book. As a Nigerian living abroad, I strongly relate to the cultural issues encountered when living in a multicultural society. I felt like all articles by ifemelu were written by me. I.'d recommend this book for all those Africans living abroad and those considering moving back home.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read !, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
Most Africans living outside Africa will relate totally with what the characters in the book experience . Well written !

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best books I have ever read, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
Would definitely recommend, was one of those books that stays with you long after you turn the last page. Chimamanda writes beautifully and captivatingly and americanah transports you. To find out where, read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging, 10 Mar. 2014
Could not stop reading

True reflection of our society and people in the three countries ( Nigeria, USA, UK )that were covered in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars When is the next book??, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
Adore all this author's work. She is so observant of mannerisms, attitudes and people in general. This book is painfully true to the life of immigrants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book, Adichie is a fantastic writer and I felt for the characters. Think this is my favourite of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A multifaceted and intricate book written by a great author, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
This is a fascinating book about the multiracial, gender and class dynamics of America seen from a Black Nigerian woman's perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Americanah (Kindle Edition)
This was such a refreshing read! I kept stopping to take notes and look things up. This was the 1st book I read by this author but defiantly not the last.

I loved it and wished it didn't finish quite so quickly. I hope her other ones are similar in settings which helps the reader really immerse them self. Her style of writing conjures up vivid images of the places described creating a longing for you to visit them.

‹ Previous | 122 23 2470 | Next ›

Americanah
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (Paperback - 27 Feb. 2014)