5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read
Published on 7 Nov 2008 by Mr. RJ WILMSHURST

3.0 out of 5 stars Tennyson's Gift
This title was suggested as one for our local book club. Found the first few chapters boring but later in the book some aspects quite amusing and interesting to learn so many we'll known characters in the Isle of Wight at the same time.
Published 23 months ago by Mrs Susan J Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining read, 7 Nov 2008
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
Firstly I have to admit that I have no particularly detailed knowledge of Tennyson nor Lewis Carol, so I approached this book with an open mind as to its content. However, having just finished it I can say that is is a thoroughly entertaining read whether or not you have any particular knowledge of the main characters true lives', or indeed whether you intend to learn anything about their characters. The book is a thoroughly entertaining humourous, light-hearted read. If you like a dry, sarcastic British sense of humour, then I thoroughly recommend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars If ever you go to Freshwater Bay, IOW...., 9 Oct 2009
D. Warwick "Old Yorkshire" (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
If ever you go to Freshwater Bay in the Isle of Wight, do not miss out on Dimbola Lodge and the nearby Farringford Hotel. They were the homes in the 19th century of Julia Cameron (photographer) and Alfred Lord Tennyson (poet), respectively. Lynne Truss has written a most amusing novel about their life and times, about the visitors, like Lewis Carroll, who made their way there, and about the campaign Julia waged to get Lord Tennyson to sit for her. Sales of the book at Dimbola Lodge had denuded the shop of copies when we called this summer, but fortunately Amazon was able to fill the gap. Dimbola Lodge is both a museum and a cafe now, well worth spending lunch at, as well as the remainder of the afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 July 2004
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
Having read and loved Eats, Shoots and Leaves, I then bought Making the Cat Laugh, which is a collection of Lynne Truss's (hope I got the apostrophe in the right place!) articles on single life. It was so funny and so much like my own life that I was desperate to read something else by Lynne and delighted to come across Tennyson's Gift. She brings together in the same place Tennyson, Lewis Carroll and several other eminent Victorians and makes a wonderfully warm and funny novel out of it. It's now my favourite of her books - and there are still two novels I haven't read yet! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Kindle Edition)
A great read especially if you are familiar with the lovely Isle of Wight and have visited Dimbola. So funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Amusing, 3 July 2013
G. Lintott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Kindle Edition)
I bought this as a paperback from a charity shop a few years ago. Following a house move, I lost the hard copy, but I decided it was worth paying for a Kindle version to be able to read it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great holiday read on the Isle of Wight, 18 April 2013
G. Coates (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
I bought this book to read on holiday on the Isle of Wight as I always like to read something linked to the area I am visiting if possible. Anyone familiar with Lynn Truss's journalism and radio appearances over the years will know that she is a hugely entertaining and gifted writer. In Tennyson's Gift she takes a group of real and imagined Victorian characters - amongst them celebrated Isle of Wight residents Julia Margaret Cameron and Alfred Lord Tennyson - and weaves them into a thoroughly enjoyable comedy of manners. I've given this four stars because I'm sure Lynn Truss herself would be the first to admit that this isn't great literature, but it's a five star light-hearted read, especially if you know the Island or are familiar with the characters it portrays.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful romp!, 21 Jun 2014
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
I've just worked my way through all of LT's books and think this was by far the best. I didn't know much about some of the characters but that hardly mattered! It read as a wonderful mixture of farce and misunderstanding with some clever pieces of fact and poetry woven in ( I especially loved the Dodgson;s "they told me you had been to her..." verses! Truss's writing style is clever, intelligent and above all witty. Some lines were pure "laugh-out-loud" Highle recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark and delicious, 10 Oct 2006
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
This is by far the best book Lynne Truss has written. The characters are strong and the imagery she conjours up is brilliant. The jacket is awful, but once you get over that, the journey is wonderful, and of course rather funny. But, be aware, the humour is dark and delicious.

3.0 out of 5 stars Tennyson's Gift, 30 Jan 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars It just didn't do it for me!, 22 July 2004
Andy Hillier (Margate, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tennyson's Gift (Paperback)
I was introduced to Lynne Truss via her excellent, informative and witty "Eats Shoots and Leaves", and I took out "Tennyson's Gift" from the library full of expectation. Maybe it was just me, but I found it unnecessarily wordy and very slow to get going. I rarely give up on a book, but this one just didn't do it for me, and I returned it to the library after Chapter Four. There will be those who love it, I'm sure! On a positive note, Lynne, the punctuation was absolutely first rate!

Tennyson's Gift
Tennyson's Gift by Lynne Truss (Paperback - 27 May 2010)