5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics
The effect of these books upon the reader is unique. Certainly the only books I have ever read that draw me back to re-read them again and again. They are more than just literature, they are priceless works of art. The gift of a brilliant writer possessed of an imagination that has no parallel in the history of literature to a world finding itself sadly bereft of tales of...
Published on 17 Nov 2000 by Wayne Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Writing, Average Quality Edition
I bought this box set but always felt I wanted the illustrated set, so I bought that as well!

This set is printed on yellowy paper with very small print (too small in my opinion).

The illustrated set has better quality paper (whiter) and more pages (bigger print).

My advice is buy the illustrated set and pay the extra 10 quid. Well worth...
Published on 22 Feb 2012 by J. Ritchie

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best, 7 Oct 2013
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I got these for my eldest nephew, as other reviewers have commented this is great way to introduce anyone to Tolkien's work, they are nicely bound with really nice pictorials. I also got him to use a dictionary along with his reading as some of the language or shall we say word usage is not at all common these days. So far he has really enjoyed the reading and the magical world that Tolkien created. My nephew gives this a full 5 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hobbit and Lord of The Rings Audio CDs, 15 Sep 2013
Fantastic Boxed set of audio CDs. A pleasure to listen to, the unabridged books are brought to life by Rob Inglis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another 5 star!, 14 Sep 2012
Great value for money
Pristine condition
Box set keeps all four books together nicely
Obviously, a great series of books
Would recommend every time

All of the above!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great books, currently in the hobbit., 10 Aug 2012
I bought these books after watching the Lord of The Rings films, so, they arrived very quickly, although I picked super saver delivery. I was slightly reluctant, when they arrived, as I heard they are slightly hard to read, and that they have slightly different language from then today, as I am only 13, I am 1/3 through the hobbit, which fantastic, the travelling parts, can get a little bit boring, but the suspense, and wanting to read more at the action bits, make up for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Boxed Set Books, 9 May 2012
Beautifully boxed set of the four books in this series, containing Author's notes and various references to other works. It arrived within a couple of days of ordering & I'm already onto the third book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 6 Jan 2012
Nice little box set, exactly as described by the seller. However, if buying directly from Amazon, the packaging seemed a little to small and mine arrived with some minor visual damage, but nothing serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 28 Dec 2012
Extream value for money my wife was over the moon. It arrived on time and was well packed this is a must if you had the original tape recording as it is the same and the box is identical you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two magical books combined in one magical package., 20 Nov 2000
The Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit are some of the greatest literal achievements of all time. JRR Tolkien tells the tale of Hobbits and Dwarves, of Elves and Men, of Ents (living trees) and Orcs, of good and evil. He describes a wonderful world, called Middle-Earth, in such majesty it makes you dream of such magical places. The novels feature friendship, adventure, suspense, romance and really drag you into the story. A definite must-read!

4.0 out of 5 stars not enough for a "collector's edition", 1 Nov 2013
The books are pretty enough, I like the cloth covers and especially the fact that we can have the corrected text in a nice readable form now. What I miss, though, is a nice foldout map as there used to be in the other hardcover editions, and a facsimile of those pages from the Book of Mazarbul which were present in the 2004 one volume edition. Thread stitching would have been a nice detail, too, especially for a so-called collector's edition. I think I shall give the box to somebody who does not have the books at all yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 9 Jan 2007
Mr. D. J. Read (Alnwick, Northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I guess when someone like me has to review Lord Of The Rings these days it is not enough to comment on the text of it, but also on the edition itself and the value for money. After all, following the success of the films, many of the versions seemed to mysteriously inflate in price.

Do you really need me to tell you the story? I wouldn't dare to insult your intelligence. It is my personal favourite book of all time, and I'm well read I like to think, and to top that you get the Hobbit as well!

This is a lovely little set, though you could hardly call it somethng for collectors, this must be about the 30th edition, which says something for the endearing popularity of it.

One thing, please make sure you read the Hobbit first. It is underrated and suffers from being under the shadow of its monstrous sibling, which runs into excess of 1000 pages (so not to be taken lightly). I have known people complain about Tolkiens language, but he was a professor of the English language, he knew what he was doing. For me, it adds a kind of quaint, comfortable feel to the books, and makes them feel like something more than sheets of paper, and gives it a soul.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa4af5414)

The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings
The Hobbit & The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Paperback - 29 April 2010)
27.90