4.0 out of 5 stars A nice book
I quite enjoyed Predictably Irrational, though it wasn't quite what I was expecting. This is a better book, though again in part for unexpected reasons.

Published on 12 July 2010 by tomsk77

3.0 out of 5 stars Mwah
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by Dr Dombo

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice book, 12 July 2010

First up, it's actually quite a personal book. Part of Ariely's pitch is to remember our humanity, particularly in the face of policymakers who assume we are rational, self-interested maximisers. He draws a bit on his own experiences, in particular the very nasty accident that he suffered as a teenager, to point out where biases kick in and how they affect us. The result is a popular book about behavioural science that has a very human feel to it, and that makes it a nice read.

Secondly, as with Predictably Irrational, Ariely has some genuinely interesting and innovative experiments to talk about. The two most interesting bits of research for me were those about 'pointless' work (for example, how your motivation to build Lego models for pay is affected by seeing them being disassembled while you work) and those about how emotions affect short-term decisions which in turn affect long-term behaviour. In the first case I would say there is something quite useful to learn about motivation, even in respect of basic tasks. In the latter it might just make you think twice about decisions you make.

As always, the drawback in this area is how applicable the experimental evidence is in the real world. Though I don't share the view that actually little from behavioural economics experiments holds true elsewhere, we should be alert to the problem. On a similar point, sometimes you do have to query some of the extrapolations made from from fairly specific findings (though I don't share the previous reviewer's scepticism about the research into bonuses - there is a lot more research in this area that points in a similar direction).

Those are minor quibbles though. This is an enjoyable, easy read backed up by interesting research and underpinned by a very personal approach. Given that Ariely's aim is to encourage more human-shaped policy, I'd say his book exemplifies the spirit of his research.

5.0 out of 5 stars More Behavioural Economics From Dan Ariely, 12 Feb 2011
Dan Ariely is a top rate economist -- one who tests the bedrock assumptions of the field!

The first chapter examines whether incentive-based pay really does lead to higher performance. Many people take this assumption for granted, but is it true?

Obviously this is a complex issue, but Ariely details some results of an experiment he ran in rural India. Participants were paid per their performance in some simple problem solving tasks. Due to the lower living standards there, Ariely was able to offer some participants the chance of winning up to three months' wages at a time.

As it happened, high rewards actually led to lower performance than low- or middle-rewards. Ariely hypothesises that thoughts of the high pay crowd out participants' attention to the problem at hand.

This finding is at best fragmentary, but it does interestingly run counter to conventional wisdom. More research could be used to show whether bankers' and executives' claims that high pay is absolutely mandatory to attract and motivate top talent are justified. (A similar book is Daniel Pink - Drive.)

Each chapter tackles a similar issue; my favourite is probably the chapter on hedonic adaptation (how we quickly adapt to new things).

I'm not sure how some of the issues really showcase the "upside" of irrationality (such as the pay-for-performance chapter). Seems like a marketing/branding decision, although it didn't make me enjoy the book any less.

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish journal papers were written like this, 25 Aug 2010
Matthew Leitch (Epsom, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've given this book 5 stars because I read it from cover to cover and learned some useful things. The great benefit of Dan's writing is that he describes his studies clearly, taking a great deal of trouble to make sure you understand them and can imagine what it would have been like to be a subject. He explains the reasons for the studies and discusses what he thinks they mean.

Having read many, many articles in psychology journals describing experiments like this I can say with confidence that Dan's achievement is considerable. Typically, these journal articles are dull, confusing, and without any sense of humanity or humour.

The fact that I disagreed with, or was unconvinced by, most of Dan's conclusions is not important! I was able to make my own analyses without the usual slog of decoding a pile of baffling journals.

4.0 out of 5 stars INTERESTING, BUT UNEVEN, 20 July 2014
GUY'S BOOKS (BEDFORDSHIRE, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Upside of Irrationality (Paperback)
I have given this book 4 stars, because I found it uneven. Some material was very interesting, some less so.
In particular, the relationship between management performance and bonus deserves a book, given its importance in the corporate world.
There were too many pages dedicated to dating on-line, on the other end.
I was also put off by the extensive mention of his rehabilitation program.
Overall, Dan Ariely is a gifted psychologist, but I preferred “Predictably Irrational”, his previous book, and I hope this one shall be revised in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ah! Finally an adult who has kept the boundless curiosity of childhood, 19 Oct 2011
Michael Layden (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Upside of Irrationality (Paperback)
One of the most disturbing aspects of the modern world is how bright and inquisitive children seem to end up losing their innate curiosity as they move through the educational system. I've met many people in their 70s, 80s and 90s who have kept this amazing curiosity but there seems to be a huge gap somewhere between 10 and 60 where knowledge has become an incredible drag. Knowledge seems to be split between being boring but utilitarian or titillating entertainment.

The shear fun of learning is strangely absent in so many books. This book however shows a joyful mind which hunts for the elusive rare beast, an original idea (or even a herd of original ideas)

You learn why you should walk quickly by any notice on a college notice board offering money for some simple tests. The experiments discussed in the book are a delightful mixture of seeing if you're revengeful,motivated by money, have high pain tolerance, trustful etc. At the very least you might end up losing your love for lego. But if your a poor Indian peasant you might end up crying yourself to sleep every night lamenting why you couldn't keep your hand steady and win the big pay off.

Often when I meet people who have kept their childhood curiosity, they have had a difficult path in life. This has forced them to sort the dross, from what is truly important. Perhaps this is why Mr Ariely writes so well. He has faced his own mortality and crawled painfully back from the abyss. He is generous to share his experiences of this time.

But the shear exuberance of his stories, his fondness for his colleagues and his insatiable curiosity bursts forth everywhere in the book. He says he is limited to typing about a page a day, before pain sets in, it is probably this filter that makes his writing so good. With so much to say, a physical limit is perhaps the only way he can condense the material so well.

He has the absolute joyful curiosity of a child as obviously does many of his colleagues/friends. Some of the conversations we get a glimpse of in the book that resulted in experiments most have been truly hilarious. He is more of a Natural philosopher than a scientist,from an era before the pursuit of knowledge became a chore. We need more like him. In a world with nothing but wild problems and deadly predicaments we need people to go back to basics and what is more basic than understanding how we make decisions.

If nothing else, his recipe at the end is worth getting the book for. Looking forward to the full recipe book if it ever breaks free.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mwah, 8 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Upside of Irrationality (Paperback)
Not one of the better popular books about irrationality, I'm afraid. The personal anecdotes (N=1 does not equal data) don't work for me. The research outcomes are described very sketchily (no numbers, just "the outcome confirmed hypothesis X"). Having just finished the book I can't recall any outstanding observation or result or insight. I would recommend "Irrationality" by Stuart Sutherland or "59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot" by Richard Wiseman instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personal, engrossing, and as scientific as I imagine psychology gets, 16 Feb 2014
I mostly came to this book craving more after "Thinking fast and slow" and that's exactly what I got, the writing style isn't as objective or fluid but this is a much more personal book where the author describes his experiences.

I would recommend this book as a follow up to those who read "thinking fast and slow" or to those who prefer a more narrative approach and a shorter book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, and easy to read - even for the non-economist, 9 Dec 2013
This book is just fascinating, and totally made me start thinking about things in another way. Although he does approach things from a "behavioural economics" angle, his language and manner are so engaging, even for those of us who would never claim to be an economist in a million years! Who would have thought that lego and Ikea could help explain our behaviour so well?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ariely is one of the must-reads in this field, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Upside of Irrationality (Paperback)
Excellent, intelligent material, with plenty of insights that can be turned into practical action in a range of different fields.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting while easy to read, 3 May 2013
This type of book is sometimes written in a very convoluted style that make them hard to read (especially if englidh is not your mother tongue). This one while being based on research and describing very interesting topics is written in a very enjoyable way: it alternates anecdotes and research description and teaches so much about why people act one way or another and how this can be influenced.
Definitely one of the best read I had in a long time.

The Upside of Irrationality
The Upside of Irrationality by Dan Ariely (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)