4.0 out of 5 stars A good read for those who like being scared.
This book is a brilliant collection of short stories all of which are extremely spine-chilling. Each story has a certain air of mystery surrounding it as well as a sensation of nightmare. The first story which is called'The hound of death' is about a woman who sees strange apparitions after the destrution of the convent in belgium where she was a nun. The story starts of...
Published on 18 Aug 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
My Mother lent me this book and said it was very frightening. I do scare very easily but was not frightened by this book. Georgie annoyed me a bit as she did not behave as I would have done so I could not relate to her. I would not have stayed there after the doll incident.
Published 11 months ago by torchest

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutety brilliant, 20 April 2003
This review is from: Unhallowed Ground (Paperback)
i have just finished reading Unhallowed Ground by Gillian White and it was absolutely brilliant.
Gillian White writes so well that you actually feel as though you are "in the book"with the characters.
although a bit slow to start with-it actually helps to keep the tension of the story going.
I never felt terrified whilst reading it,but it had a strange menacing feel to it.
The characters in the little hamlet where most of the story takes place are very real. I live in the country and can identify some of the characters in some hamlets near by.
I have Night Visitor to read next-hope its as good as Unhallowed Ground.An excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 Aug 2014
Great book, arrived on time

5.0 out of 5 stars Agatha at her best, 26 Jan 2014
Great novel typical Christie who done it.
I never tire reading any of Agatha Christie novels.
I have now read all of her novels.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 20 Nov 2013
I was very disappointed by the ending and thought it was very far-fetched. I would have preferred, and expected more of a ghost story. The bits I like were the description of the cold and snow and struggle to survive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Supernatural stories, 23 July 2013
D. Stanmore (London, UK) - See all my reviews
These stories are mainly of the supernatural, not Christie's usual mystery stories although 1 is the origin of her famous play "Witness for the Prosecution".

Although some tales involve hoaxes and swindles of some kind the rest would not look out of place in "Weird Tales", the famous 30s magazine. Most of the stories are not well done (this genre is not Christie's forte) but are no worse than many stories by others in the same vein. The stand-out for me was "The Call of Wings" which was somewhat surreal and hallucinatory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short Stories, 28 Jun 2013
Excellent reading, but then Agatha Christie always is. I had never heard of this book before finding it on my Kindle.
Recommend this gem.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just did not like it., 15 Jun 2006
This review is from: Unhallowed Ground (Paperback)
I have had this book for a good few years now and had never read it. So when i came across it when tidying up one day last week, i thought i would give it a go as the synopsis on the back read well.

I was, however, disappointed. I could not get past the fact that everything was described metaphorically. The trees looked like this or the air smelled like that. It started to annoy me a lot. Also i felt there was too many comer's used often stretching sentences out far too long.

I admit i flipped through most of the pages about Georgina's recent past concerning the death of a young girl. I felt it added nothing to the story and took up too much space.

I hated the ending and actually got quite confused with the way it was written. At one point i didn't know what was going on.

I would not recommend this book to any fans of thriller. I think this book would have more of an affect in that department if it was adapted for television like some of Gillian White's other books have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Delivers a couple of good shocks, including the ending, 3 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Unhallowed Ground (Paperback)
I found this entertaining and atmospheric and didn't see the suprises coming at all. Only minus points were the heroine's anguished reflections over mistakes in her past which had little bearing on the story, and the author's irritating tendency to write 'slither' when she meant 'sliver'. But certainly worth a read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing,quite unlike her usual sharp,excellent writing, 18 Nov 2000
Mrs Lesley Williams (South Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unhallowed Ground (Paperback)
As a fan of Gillian White, I was very disappointed with this stereotypical, formula horror book, so unlike her terrific other books. I've read many of them, including Mother Love, Grandfather's Footsteps, Witch's Cradle, The Sleeper, Rich Deceiver, Chain Reaction and others, and all of them have a sparkle, are sharply written with good surprise value. But Unhallowed Ground was predictable, had an irritating, self-obsessed and silly central character and was truly disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 21 Dec 2012
as usual very cleaver writing gets the old grey cells working . bla de bla de bla de bla de

The Hound of Death (Agatha Christie Facsimile Edtn)
The Hound of Death (Agatha Christie Facsimile Edtn) by Agatha Christie (Hardcover - 5 Aug 2010)