5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down!
This superb book was recommended to me by a friend online and I haven't regretted one penny I spent on it.
Published on 12 Jun 2003 by cloudymagicjh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story wasted on a lousy protagonist.
Very exciting start, then it takes a Whole book before something happens Again. The World is on fire, but we are sitting hidden i a warm hole, where one little boy is living through a family thriller. The enviroment is not very interesting and so is the boy himself. Read ti to find out what happens afterwards.
Published 3 months ago by Agata K. M. Damm

5.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to put down!, 12 Jun 2003
The storyline is unusual, given that the readers already know the main twist of the story which is given within the first few chapters - that the 'hero is really a 'heroine'. Rather than detracting from the suspense and climax of the book, the fact that the audience knows the truth while the heroine herself doesn't, keeps you glued to each page, desperate to discover what happens next and if her secret will be discovered. A beautifully rich cast of supporting characters all of whom are believable and well-rounded, work together to make this book one of the best I've read in years, on par with Robin Hobb and the excellent 'Dark Materials' trilogy of Phillip Pullman.
The supernatural element of the book is not only refreshingly original, it adds to the 'fantasy' world which is created marvellously through various magics, mythical creatures and gods. One negative thing I could mention is that the intriguing Aurenfaie remain background characters and I would love to see them explored more, which hopefully will be done in the sequel. As for the typos and errors mentioned by an earlier reviewer, I seriously wonder if we were reading the same book as I didn't come across any, or maybe the story was so engrossing I didn't notice.
A brilliant, fascinatingly refreshing book which will almost certainly become one of the 'greats' of fantasy. I recommend it strongly to all readers of fantasy and the supernatural and I for one am counting the days down to the publication of the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended!, 9 Feb 2003
If you are looking for an excellent fantasy with an original yet sinister twist then you have most definitely found it! The history and legends that haunt the country, Skala, are vividly sketched out which helps the terrifiying actions of the characters involved become not only believable but understandable.
I particularly loved the spirit child named 'brother' who haunts the young prince Tobin as he struggles to live a normal life after the spellcasting that has been placed upon him at birth gives rise to supernatural and tragic occurences.
The book contains all the familiar and loved features of fantasy; powerful mages, evil kings, dark spells & high adventure etc, but uses them in such a refreshing and dark way that you are literally gripped to your seat reading it. After staying up all night I couldn't bear to go to work and not finish it - so I was sadly forced to pull a sickie instead! (moral: be warned and read it at a weekend and not during your tea break!)
If you buy this you will not be disappointed whether your preference is for traditional fantasy or for more alternative views on the genre...

5.0 out of 5 stars the power of fate, 23 Feb 2003
Fate has an important role in this story about the first years of a future hero --who is, in fact, a heroine-- and the ever-present ghost of his twin brother. We see the life of Tobin from the beginning until he (she) realizes who he (she) really is. The tension is built to have its climax in the moment of final discovery, where the novel ends. Even though we witness the secret event and know the truth from the beginning, the author manages to have us thrilled and turning pages at a fast pace to learn HOW what-we-know is going to happen. I also loved the no-nonsense use of magic, always logical and justified, and the role that the "old religion", the Goddess religion which has almost disappeared, has in the story.There is also love,fear, friendship, loyalty and adventure. I simply loved this novel and will read everything that I find by the same author.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, 20 Oct 2002
This was an absolutely wonderful book, which I will gladly recommend to anyone looking for a great read. I am always very picky about what I read, but this book had me staying up all night because I couldn't just put it down. All through the book questions and new situations kept appearing so that I had to continue reading to find out what would happen next.
The characters are very well created and believable (I say this, especially, because there are some of the 'good guys' that I don't like because of their personalities). There are two wizards (Iya & Arkoniel) and a witch named Lhel, and it's very believable the way they accuse the other (or others) of being responsible for what happened to Tobin and Brother (the dead twin) without wanting to fully admit to their own guilt.
Tobin is a wonderful character, and all the things that happen to him (or her, whichever) are devastating. It's dangerous for her to love anyone, even though she's been kept in the dark about this for most of her life. . The only negative thing I can say about this book is caused by the fact that I like order, and this book is full (it honestly is) of typos, missing words and words that have been reversed (i.e "He didn't know what do to"). While this appears as of very little concern and has nothing to do with the actual story, it still bugged me because of the frequency. This appears to me as sloppy and unprofessional and should not appear in a book as wonderful as this one; it deserves better. I thought you had an editor to deal with that sort of thing. The missing words and typos are all of the smaller region so the meaning of the sentences are still clear, but still - sloppy. Very. If this book wasn't as interesting as it is I would have discarded the book just because of that, not taking the writer seriously. 3 typos etc are acceptable, I'll even go as high as 7, but this book goes beyond that a great deal.
Just my little neurotic reaction; I hope there's a better editor looking at the second book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bone Doll's Twin, 28 Jun 2002
Linda Tonra (Tralee, Ireland) - See all my reviews
One of the best books I have read this year. Great story, likeable characters and enough magic to keep you on the edge of your seat. I went straight to amazon.co.uk to see when Book 2 of the Tamir Triad is to be published. Until then I won't know if Tobin can keep her secret from the evil wizard, whether Ki is really dead and will Arkoniel ever forgive himself for the "death" of Tobin's twin. There are Bad and good wizards, an Evil King, a witch who has powers unknown to the wizards and enough people that you truly like to keep you interested from page one. Read it. I guarantee you will like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Feb 2007
Sarah Kay (UK) - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is dark, gritty fantasy at its best, fast paced without losing any of its depth. The characters are well rounded and realistic, and the heroes have well and truly captured my imagination.

I've already started on the second book and feel I shall race through all three. If this series lives up to the promise shown in the first book, it will be something very special.

5.0 out of 5 stars At first glance not an unusual tale..., 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Bone Doll's Twin (Paperback)
'The Bone Doll's Twin' is the first book in the 'Tamir Triad' trilogy.

'So long as a daughter of Thelatimos's line defends and rules, Skala shall never be subjugated' so says the old prophecy. However, Skala is ruled by a son of the line these days. Erius seized the crown after the disastrous reign of his mother Queen Agnalain the Mad. To ensure that he will be followed by his son, with the help of his pet wizzard, King Erius proceeds to kill every female relative regardless of age with the one exception of his sister Ariani, though that 'benevolence' does not protect any daughter of hers. When the princess is delivered of twins however, only the boy twin survives.

Tobin grows up in fair isolation and not exactly in ordinary circumstances as the keep is haunted by a ghost who has become Tobin's shadow. Eventually, the time has come that Tobin must leave for the capital Eros to join the royal court as a companion to the crown prince. Accompanied by his trusted squire Ki and swordmaster Tharin, he arrives in the capital and soon finds out that not all people are friends. It had not ever crossed his mind, but Tobin soon realises that not only is he next in line of succession after his cousin, Prince Korin, but that there is danger in being who he is.

Stories about young boys establishing themselves at court are not that uncommon but there is much more to this one than how Tobin gains the respect of his peers or how Ki as a squire deals with the backlash of only being the son of a county knight. But you'll have to find out for yourself as saying more would be giving away too much.

A very well written story based on unusual events and an entertaining read that has plenty of positive moments to offset some of the more sinister events. Reminds me of authors like Robin Hobb and Carol Berg.

Definitely a 'for keeps' book and one I have just re-read... hence this review :-)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story wasted on a lousy protagonist., 3 Sep 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Persevere, it will be worth it., 17 Aug 2013
Not your usual fantasy novel in that this has a darker theme underlying it. Persevere because after the first few chapters, the information starts to pool together and finally make more sense. You'll then find the story gripping and it'll be difficult to put the book down so order the second book well in advance. Written in a style that I found easy to read and characterisation is good - you end up caring about the characters, or really hating some of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and different fantasy novel., 3 Sep 2011
Ms. E. A. Pearson "Ezzy" (Londonish) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bone Doll's Twin (Paperback)
Filling in the history from the Nightrunner novels, this brilliant fantasy novel manages to stand alone completely while also feeding into the larger world. Looking into the nature of gender and the troubles that all young people face as they grow and mature this book speaks to anyone who has ever been young. The fantasy setting is used to set what is a very recognisable world off kilter and bring a strange world of many cultures to life. The characters are all well coloured and it's wanting to know their fate that will make you tear through the pages and stay up until 3am to finish it. If you buy this I really, REALLY suggest you buy the next installment to, because the instant you finish you'll want to plough straight into the next one.

The Bone Doll's Twin
The Bone Doll's Twin by Lynn Flewelling (Paperback - 13 Nov 2009)
Used & New from: £12.00