5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
great series must read them all dean koontz at his best
Published 3 months ago by J Forsdyke

I loved the first three Dean Koontz Frankenstein books, and advise everyone to read them. I did not know he was doing a fourth and fifth so was thrilled when I saw them advertised and downloaded them both to my Kindle straight away.

Published on 27 Nov 2011 by J. O'Boyle

2.0 out of 5 stars I knew Dean Koontz endings could be bad, but this was rediculous, 27 Nov 2011
J. O'Boyle (Ayrshire, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

The fourth book I felt was pretty much just the precursor to this, the final book. I was so disappointed with the ending of the fifth book I sat in shock for about 5 minutes after finishing it. I have always felt Dean Koontz had trouble finishing books, as though he got fed up or just didn't know where to take his idea. But this was ridiculous. I won't say too much for fear of spoiling it for anyone but in my opinion it was like it had a hidden message from Koontz. The message was telling me that he was forced to finish this book to such an extent that he knew no matter how bad the ending they would publish it anyway, and that he believed it should have ended with book three, like me.

If you have not read any of the series I would say read the first three books, definitely. But approach books four and five with low expectations, unless you are looking for a guide on how to destroy a fantastic trilogy.

1.0 out of 5 stars More rubbish, 2 May 2012
This was definitely a case of 'I've started and I WILL finish even if it drives me mad'The first book was almost reasonable but rapidly became annoying and childish. I was puzzled as to why an author as good as D. Koontz would produce such rubbish but of course it was originally the script for a TV series which explained why it spread over so many books and why it was so far off the mark.
Glad it never made it to TV.

Sorry I can't give a more detailed review but I read these books about 6 weeks ago and have tried desperately to forget them - only just been asked to review them and wish I hadn't as this brings back painful memories.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leonard Silk, 18 Sep 2011
Paul (West Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I decided to wait for this book to be published before reading the fourth book so as to be able to get the whole story in one go.

As I was reading it, I found the book to be a real page-turner, once started I wanted to read it all the way through. Having read upwards of 20 of Dean Koontz's books I found this to be of a similar standard in all but one respect.

The cover of the book tells us "..... In a climax that will shatter every expectation, the fate of humanity hangs in the balance...."

For me, the climax certainly did shatter my expectaions, and not in a good way. It reminded me of a tv series that is cancelled before it has reached the end of the story; if we're lucky we may get a hastily written final episode that brings a small amount of closure to the story but is not really very satisfying.

If the book was a tv series (yes I know) then I would heartily recommend watching every single episode except the last one or else you may be left wondering why you had bothered with any of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
great series must read them all dean koontz at his best

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Excellent Read, 2 May 2012
A novel of surpassing suspense and visceral terror as Deucalion finally hunts down Victor and his army of Communitarians in their quest to dispose of anything human.
Deucalion is my hero and hopefully will find his way back even though this was supposedly the final chapter in the Frankenstein series. I loved Nummy's naivety and innocence and it is especially interesting to watch Mr Lyss's character progress from being a mean spirited, grizzled old codger to an honourable hero. I also enjoyed Carson and Michael's humour and compassion behind their tough macho exterior.
I couldn't put this book down and found it spine chilling and nail biting right to the final chapter.
Dean Koontz has a way of building scenarios that makes them so believable and you find yourself pitying the bad guy as well as hating him.
I thoroughly recommend this novel to fans and newbies alike.

2.0 out of 5 stars Finally ...The End....., 30 April 2012
This review is from: The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 5) (Paperback)
Fith and (hopefully last) in Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, this concludes the events in vol 4 which ended rather abrubltly the previoos year. We continue the story of the towns inhabitents fighting back against Victors replicants. Why Mr Koontz did not publish vol 4/5 as one novel I don't understand. Obviously there's more royalties on one book than two, but I hardly think that Mr Koontz is strapped for cash. Or maybe he just could not think of a suitable ending as the conclusion presented here is terrible.
So worth purchasing if you've a deperate need to see a conclusion otherwise, avoid!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Alive!!, 18 April 2012
Nigel Buckley - See all my reviews
I enjoy the Frankenstein series by Dean Koontz and this volume is at least as good as the previous ones. It's not great literature, I know, but it's an entertaining read and I read for enjoyment, not to make literary criticism as some other reviewers seem to do. One problem I do have though, and not just with Dean Koontz books, is the tendency to have chapters that are two or three pages long. I've noticed it with several recent books, do the editors think that our attention spans are diminishing?? The chapters are so short and the storyline jumps about so quickly that it's difficult to get into the flow of the story. OK, moan over! I enjoy the series, as I say, and I'm waiting for January 2013 when, I believe, the next instalment is due to be published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Koontz at his best, 4 July 2011
James N. Beatson "Jim Beatson" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
The final episode in Koontz's Frankenstein series is well up to the author's best, which is to say superb. A small town under seige by Victor Frankenstein's monsters, a handful of humans opposing them aided as always by the marvellous Deucalion and our two doughty detectives. If they lose, Victor's creations will go on to devastate the human race....nail-biting stuff.

As usual, ordinary people turn out to be extra-special, my favourite being the old hobo Lyss. Erika finds love, Jocko finds fame, and Deucalion (maybe) finds death at last! A fine, satisfying end to a great series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tv series??, 6 Oct 2014
I have loved each and every one of the Frankenstein series. The last one, The Dead Town, tied everything up lovely. I loved the ending. This series of books would have made a great Tv series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 28 Aug 2014
Really lazy writing from Dean Koontz. Thoughts, even sentences, are repeated throughout. There is nothing new in this novel and, like Lost Souls, it reads like a bridging book.

The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 5)
The Dead Town (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book 5) by Dean Koontz (Paperback - 19 Jan 2012)