5.0 out of 5 stars The Lion Continues to Roar..., 8 Sep 2009
Christopher Sandford has done an excellent and thourough job with a fascinating and sometimes contradictory subject matter - The Lion of Lahore. He takes us through Imran's early cricket career, Oxford, Worcester, Sussex and never fails to add some fruity quotes to lighten the narrative. Imran's legendary love life which may seem incongruous now with the heavyweight politician who tours the world. I particularly like Sandford's diverse sources which add so much to the tale of this Pakistan legend - who else could have invited a young artist to watch him play, march off to see how her painting of him was materialising only to find she had painted a scene by the Pavilion - as Sandford notes mischieveously - it didn't last long...

He covers in depth Imran's phenomenal test career , captaincy and the in fighting, the World Cup win in 92, the Cancer Hospital, his marriage to Jemima (who is quoted) and lastly and of great interest his political career which Sandford notes hasn't quite lived up to expectation. But for me it is the insight into the character that makes this a compelling read - a touch serious, loyal, contradictory, gravitas, cachet, charismatic, father, Imran is always on the go - a driven man. Perhaps this was why his uncompromising lifestyle meant that marriage was not an easy bed fellow.

The diverse sources make this a great addition to Ivo Tennant's book and there are some alternate takes to Imran's own versions in his 2 autobiograhies.

Will he become President of Pakistan - who knows but don't discount anything Imran puts his mind to.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 29 Dec 2011
Having been named after Imran in 1986 (thanks to my infatuated aunt) I have always resented the man. Every time I seemed to introduce myself to people of a certain age they would inevitably bring up the famous cricketers name and ask me if I play cricket (which I didn't play nor follow).

I never really took an interest in cricket until last year when I started playing with my colleagues in a local tournament. We lost heavily in our opening match but we decided to have regular nets sessions. I seemed to have a natural aggressive ability with the bat (as I always go after the ball using my footwork). Bowling was difficult. I was receiving sound advice from my team mates regarding line and length but it just resulted in mediocre performances (we also lost the following 4 matches). The 6th match however was the turning point. The captain didn't trust me to bowl and the opposition were cruising to victory. Midway through their innings, I insisted that I bowl. There was a new surge of pace and I had an idea of tilting the seem to obtain a deviation from my usual straight delivery. To cut a long story short, I managed to get 10 wickets in 3.5 overs for 4 runs. We won the match by 2 runs. I was compared favourably to Imran Khan by the opposition.

I had caught the cricket bug. I have been googling bowling and batting techniques ever since (where I learned that I had unwittingly been using swing bowling in our first victory). I decided to learn about Pakistan's (apparent) greatest cricketer which led me to this autobiography.

I would echo the comments already made by previous posters. It's a brilliant read about a truly fascinating individual. I was very pleased with the detailed description of the nuances of the cricket styles and techniques but was surprised to learn about Imran's character and his strong morals. This is the first time that I have ever felt proud of being named after Imran Khan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most complete autobiography to date, 28 Jun 2010
I. Ahmad "Imran Ahmad" (London, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read all the other Imran Khan biographies that have been published including All Round View and Ivo Tennant's infamous offering which detailed ball tampering. This latest book filled in the gaps which the other books didn't cover. The book goes into much detail around Imran's early career and elevation into the Pakistan Test team and his early days in Worcestershire and Sussex. There are many funny anecdotes from well sourced individiuals who have come across Imran Khan in various guises. The book is an interesting read and provides a balanced view on the subject matter covered. The book describes the rivalry within the Pakistan team and how Imran managed to deal with it better than anyone else has as captain. It paints Imran to be a very proud, highly motivated and competitive individual who scored well on and off the field of play as well adversity he faces in the political arena of Pakistan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well researched Book, 24 April 2014
If you want to know real IK .......read this biography

The biographer very intelligently explain to paint the true picture about Imran khan especially when there is chance that the reader would either tilt in favor or against him

4.0 out of 5 stars More about the cricket, 24 Mar 2013
Razwan Ul-haq "Islamic sci-fi Author" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is written well and is thoroughly engaging. There will be lots of chortles for the reader along the way as the author certainly has wit. And plenty of it! The actual narratives of Imran's life are well researched with plenty of first-hand experience from the author. So why have I given the book four stars? Simply because I don't feel that the title correctly sums up the book. There is an enormous amount of detail about Imran's cricketing life but much less about Imran the politician. Though it is true that in order to understand the man, you have to understand his gameplan, I was hoping to find much more about Imran's political and religious thought and history here. However, for someone with a straight cricketing/sport bent of mind or someone who does not mind reading chunks about Imran's cricketing exploits (they are to be honest, narrated exceedingly well) then this book would be the ticket more than any other. In fact if anyone wants to understand the world of Pakistan cricket, then look no further. As a cricket biography it is brilliant. If the title had been: "Imran Khan: the cricketer politician" then this volume would easily be flying off the shelves at five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Excellent book about Imran Khan the Legendary & Iconic Asian Sportsman in the world!!!", 13 Feb 2011
Matloub Husayn-Ali-Khan "Matloub" (South Yorkshire, Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent biography of Imran Khan by Christopher Sandford which is compulsive reading and is a very balanced account with many funny anecdotes from well sourced individuals who knew him & (many of whom remained anonymous). Personally, as an avid player/administrator on the local Asian Cricket scene in (Sheffield) & fan /follower of (Imran) Pakistani Cricket scene in the 1980s, I knew of his bowling & batting figures in County Cricket.

Also, his early cricketing life is extensively covered from 1971 to 1990s with his careers at Oxford, Worcester, Sussex & the Pakistan national team - with the events/happenings during the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s when Pakistan won the World Cricket Cup. Obviously, Imran's legendary love-life is given comprehensive coverage and his test career as Pakistan Captain & the infighting/rivalry within the Pakistani cricket team.

In fact, Imran came to Sheffield (not mentioned in the book) I witnessed his visit to Earl Marshal Youth Club & School in September/October 1991, arranged through Chris Searle, Author, Head teacher & Cricket fan. Ironically, his visit to Sheffield proved to be a lucky omen for him & his Pakistan team won the World Cricket Cup in March the following year & by June to beat England in the second Test at Lord's - announced on Meridian Community Radio (1413 MW) as breaking sports news by me!

Finally, the book covers his marriage to Jemima in 1995-2004 & quotes her views of the life in Pakistan & Britain. The final chapters covers his eventual success in Pakistani politics in 2002 and his runnings with Parvez Musharraf over America's role in the region after 9/11 events & his house arrest in 2007.

I strongly recommend you to buy this book & read about this world famous, legendary & iconic Asian sportsman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Dec 2014
Good condition! Pleased with it

4.0 out of 5 stars brought for a gift- great read, 4 Aug 2011
H. Burchell (Wales. UK) - See all my reviews
although this was not brought for myself it was received with much enthusiasm and by all accounts the chappy this was given too was very happy.

Imran Khan: The Cricketer, The Celebrity, The Politician
Imran Khan: The Cricketer, The Celebrity, The Politician by Christopher Sandford (Paperback - 15 Oct 2009)
Used & New from: £2.99