5.0 out of 5 stars Cartophilia!
Mike Parker, a Rough Guide editor and Welsh-TV travel presenter, has written an enormously and endlessly fascinating book about everything of or pertaining to the British Life of Maps. It's a history, memoir, polemic, paean, psychogeography, and love poem dedicated to the Ordnance Survey map and all things cartographic. And, because Mr Parker is a dryly amusing chap with...
Published on 19 Jun 2009 by Matthew Gidley

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar
Borrowed the paperback version from the library last week, when it appeared on the "New Books" stand. Having all 204 Landranger maps, some in many different editions, plus loads of the old One Inch OS series, I suppose I could be considered a bit of an addict. So I was really looking forward to reading this.

On the plus side, a lot of it made me smile. I...
Published on 16 May 2010 by Mr. P. Kazmierczak

2.0 out of 5 stars Good in a few parts, 25 Sep 2009
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
I was given this as a birthday present and as one who has always loved maps I thought it was an inspired gift. I enjoyed the the start and some of the history of mapping Britain. At times I was filled with nostalgia particularly over the 1960s AA Book of Britain which I loved with a passion as a boy.

However Mike Parker's personality intrudes far to often to make this a good book, I want to know about maps and not about how clever and ladish he can be. The final straw came when he suggested ending up in Wrexham as a 'fate worst than death', this coming from someone who lives in Wales. I have lived in Wrexham for 16 years and it is a great place to be, what right does he have to slag it off!

If the author had stuck to the interesting bits about Britain, maps, nostalgia, etc. this might have got more stars from me but unfortunately Mike Parker's less than interesting personality keeps interferring which spoilt the book for me. Stuart Marconie's 'Adventures on the High Teas' is a much better read and written by someone with intellect and a personality worth sharing!

I would avoid buying this book unless you are a Mike Parker fan and have a passing interest in maps

5.0 out of 5 stars map addict, 31 May 2009
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
A fascinating and highly entertaining read even if you don't think you're that interested in maps; I guarantee you will be by the end of the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good map?, 26 May 2009
Leslie V. Watson (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
A good book is hard to, and a good map is hard to find, but a good book about maps is a real find. This is one.
Mike Parker's entertaining and informative account of his obsession with maps and mapping is a joy. Good 'general interest' books on map collecting and enthusing really are hard to find. Most efforts either crash into over detailed detail, or are too academic for most folks tastes.
This one, however, you could safely buy your dad, or your mum, along with (or instead of) the latest edition of Landranger sheet 128. For example!

5.0 out of 5 stars map addict, 7 July 2009
C. Ward "welsh buzzard" (wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
This book is full to the brim with humour,historical,obsevational, entertaining about maps,hilarous SATnav robots, this book kept me reading til the wee hours, if you really do like maps then this book is worth the read, there's no dry facts and figures it's written from the heart with a passion for maps. I'd recommend this book to anyone who's interested.

5.0 out of 5 stars For all map addicts, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
An unusual and enjoyable book combining research, a love of maps and a quirky approach to the subject. Very readable and a great gift for the map addict in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Map Addict addict, 10 Oct 2009
Pab Tomos (Cymru) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
Not quite sure what some of the moaners on here were expecting from Map Addict. The very first words on the fly-leaf are: "There are some fine, dry tomes out there about the history and development of cartography: this is not one of them. Combining history, travel, adventure, memoir and oblique observation...".

So yes, I was expecting Mike Parker's occasional tangential ramble off the immediate subject, although they were all map- and place-related, and highly entertaining. Some people like to look at the map, work out the quickest way across it and stick rigidly to that. Here, Mike Parker wallows in the whole map - he dives off down country lanes and obscure paths, always unearthing something odd, funny or illuminating. It is a lovely book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely edition, 22 July 2009
Lisbeth Harbo (Goleta, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for a friend who is somewhat of a map addict. He had already started reading it and found it to be a funny and interesting book. As someone who is somewhat of a book addict, I can add that it's printed on lovely paper and with a nicely printed dust cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 7 July 2009
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
Saw this book and thought of my wife, and bought it. She loves it, thinks it's great, as she is an map addict as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read and learned loads, 20 Oct 2009
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love maps, but am not a map-nerd and so probably wouldn't read a more factual account of map-making history, use etc. However, this book proved to be a clever ploy on the part of a self-confessed map addict to make sure I did learn rather a lot about the history and use of maps, borders, and geopolitics in an entertaining and very funny way. Knowledge clearly gained over many years is passed on lightly and with plenty of wit, but with no diminution of the subject matter. I especially enjoyed the author's references to the role of maps in his own life. Not only did these make me laugh, allowing me to engage with maps, their (often surreal) uses and importance in the world, but helped to cement what in other hands could have been dry recitation of facts. The author's passing references to his less than enthusiastic partner provide a salient reminder to us all that our particular obsessions are not necessarily shared by those who have to live with us. Full marks to Mike Parker for sharing his in such an entertaining and interesting way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Map book, 22 Mar 2010
Mr. C. Cowie (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Map Addict (Hardcover)
Not what I expected at all. I had hoped for some mapping activities I could do with school kids but it turns out to be a novel. Disappointed.

CC

ARRAY(0xafd9b84c)

Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey
Map Addict: A Tale of Obsession, Fudge & the Ordnance Survey by Mike Parker (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
6.29