5.0 out of 5 stars Twain at his best!
Published on 25 Aug 2004 by Dennis Phillips

3.0 out of 5 stars "Human beings can be awful cruel to one another."
At the end of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, we left Huck Finn, now comfortably well-off, being 'sivilised' by the Widow Douglas. But when Huck's Pap comes back, wanting to get his hands on Huck's new-found wealth, Huck finds himself at his father's mercy, locked up in their shanty and subjected to beatings. So he hatches a plan to escape. Meantime, Miss Watson's slave Jim...
Published 5 months ago by FictionFan

5.0 out of 5 stars Twain at his best!, 25 Aug 2004
Dennis Phillips "The Book Friar" (Bulls Gap, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
Back during my school days this was still not a book that was considered to be politically incorrect and so I was supposed to read it. As was far to often the case, I got by on little more than watching the movie version and never bothered to read this masterpiece. A few months ago I picked up a copy to put in my library for my grandson to use when he got old enough to go to school. Unfortunately this has been classified as a children's book and so I had little intention of reading it when I bought it.
After discussing a book about President Grant and Mark Twain with a friend I decided that I should read this book and I soon found out just how much of an adventure I had been missing. Twain's well deserved reputation as a storyteller is on clear display in this book from cover to cover. The reader is drawn into the lives of the characters to the point of being really disturbed when something bad happens to them. Sure, they steal and they lie but you will love them in spite of everything.
The story basically follows the adventures of young Huckleberry Finn and a runaway slave named Jim. Finn is trying to escape has father and the efforts of the townspeople to civilize him while Jim is trying to escape slavery. More to the point, Jim is trying to escape being sold down the river, which was always a worry for slaves in the upper south.
There is a strong moral point to this book as Huck slowly learns to love Jim as a friend and not think of his skin color. Early on Huck is worried about helping a runaway slave and isn't sure what to do. Having been raised in Missouri, Huck has been taught that helping a slave run away is one of the worst sins imaginable and that African-Americans are pretty much worthless except as slaves. It takes a while for the truth to come to Huck but he finds that he is determined to help his friend get his freedom, no matter what. Huck ends up risking his own life to do just that.
This book is a pure joy to read and I suggest you read it without looking for a political agenda. Just let the story flow and enjoy each word. The dialects used may slow you down a bit at first but they add so much to the flow of the book that they are quite indispensable. This is a wonderful story, full of youthful innocence and backwoods charm. Just one little warning though, once you start reading you won't be able to put this book down.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Ain't it just bully?!", 10 Dec 2000
By A Customer
My mum read this to me (aged 8) and my brother (aged 10). We thought it was very funny and all the adventures Huck had were really cool. I liked the part where he said: "Telling the truth is like sitting on a keg of gunpowder and lighting it just to see where you'll go". It made us laugh a lot. We learnt a lot about superstitions, like touching a snakeskin brings bad luck, and a hairy chest makes you rich. But it wasn't funny to find out about how people used to think about slaves.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece of American literature, 5 Dec 2005
Dennis Littrell (SoCal/NorCal/Maui) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn is not only Twain's best work, but is considered by some, one of the greatest novels ever written. Episodic in form (as Twain warns, "persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot"), Huckleberry Finn is clearly, along with Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter and Herman Melville's Moby-Dick, one of the three most ambitious and artistically successful novels of America's 19th century.
But what is it about Huckleberry Finn that makes it stand out? Most young people reading it will declare that they thought Tom Sawyer was better, and for them, they would be right. It is a difficult novel to teach. The dialect is actually difficult for some inexperienced readers. The satire and ironies are often lost on some readers, and some minorities are offended by what they think is its racist tone. That, however, is an historical irony if ever there was one. Twain's intent was to belittle and make fun of the racist attitudes of most Americans. The very fact that Jim and Huck were able to achieve a fast friendship and to negotiate together the epic journey down the Mississippi with Jim often showing superior wisdom and a right smart common sense did not sit well with some prejudicial mind sets. Today what offends is the language, in particular the use of the "n" word.
But what makes Huckleberry Finn a great novel is first and foremost the indelible character of the often self-effacing Huck Finn himself and his compelling, lyrical, and ever so beautifully observed narrative. There is only one other novel in American literature that can be considered in the same league as far as first person narratives go, and that is Nabokov's Lolita. Strange to say Humbert Humbert and Huck Finn have one thing in common, an uncommon ability to make their differing worlds extraordinarily vivid through painstakingly clever and absolutely authentic voices. Both Twain and Nabokov achieved this rare veracity because of their command of language, their sense of character, and their fine ear for the nuances of speech.
Sense of character is also what makes Huckleberry Finn a great novel. The characters are so real they practically jump off the page. Even the minor characters are Shakespearean in their psychological verity. It is not exactly a co-incidence that the Duke of "Bilgewater" and the "King of France," those ornery rascals rescued by Huck and Jim, were experts in ersatz Shakespeare and various dodges. Twain knew people, and he knew them well. Too well, one might say, considering his low opinion of humankind.
The effective--even rhapsodic--use of dialect is another thing that makes Huckleberry Finn a great novel. Writing a novel in dialect is a difficult thing to do well. Many have tried it and many have failed. Most writers are well advised to limit their use of dialect to the speech of their characters. But Twain was a master of dialect of many sorts, and was able to have Huck Finn narrate the entire novel in his voice while at the same time employ the various dialects of the other characters. Nabokov--although I don't think he ever acknowledged this--was undoubtedly influenced by Twain's authentic use of dialect; but because his narrator was a transplanted European professor of literature, he had to narrate in standard English; indeed a most eloquent standard English. Yet, one notices that Nabokov through Humbert took some delight in reproducing Lolita's authentic speech, her mid-twentieth century, New England, urban teenaged dialect.
Finally, what makes Huckleberry Finn a great novel is its humor. Twain was a master of all sorts of humor. (He was a great public speaker and story teller.) The language of the novel itself is replete with "malapropisms, puns, misquotations, understatement, exaggeration, incongruities, illiteracies, and absurd spellings," to quote from Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia of American Literature, p. 259--most done for comedic effect. Additionally, the yarns themselves, the "stretchers," as Huck has it, are wondrous funny, and Huck's commonsensical take on life often contrasted humorously with what he actually saw and experienced.
Here's one of my favorite passages from the book to illustrate the master's humorous style. The ragged "King" is about to divulge "the secret of" his "being" to the supposed Duke of Bridgewater and to Huck and Jim. He says, doing the "Duke" one better:
"Bilgewater, I am the late Dauphin!"
Huck writes, "You bet you Jim and me stared, this time. Then the duke says:
'You are what?'
'Yes, my friend, it is too true--your eyes is lookin' at this very moment on the pore disappeared Dauphin, Looy the Seventeen, son of Looy the Sixteen and Marry Antonette.'
'You! At your age? No! You mean you're the late Charlemagne; you must be six or seven hundred years old, at the very least.'
'Trouble has done it, Bilgewater, trouble has done it; trouble has brung these gray hairs and this premature balditude. Yes, gentlemen, you see before you, in blue jeans and misery, the wanderin', exiled, trampled-on and sufferin' rightful King of France.'"
It is the sheer density of Twain's artistry that most impresses me. I wish I had room to quote the rest of the page as Huck goes on to describe how they "majestying" him so that it "done him heaps of good." There is so much on practically every page. I know of no other writer except Shakespeare who can reveal so much in so few words, and who could use words so creatively.
This is a great novel and anyone who cares about American literature has read it or will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Illustrative of the world, 27 Feb 2006
By A Customer
Huckleberry Finn is illustrative of the world, not only in the cosmopolitan characters entering and leaving the story, but also in the way people react to it. One reaction is that it is a racist novel, mentioning the word nigger 121 times. The people who interpret the novel in this way seem only glance at the surface and delve no deeper. They probably do this in all other aspects of their life. The second type of person will look deeper, as though delving into the depths of the Mississippi River setting. They will see past the racism of Huckleberry Finn himself as Huck comments on the definite signs of humanity and equality in Jim. They will see the underlying message, of how he is the product of a terrible system and look into the other messages encountered in the journey of the book. To this type of person no other novel can be so fascinating, yet remain humorous all the while.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Older You Get The Funnier This Gets, 13 Jun 2010
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
I must admit that the first time I read Huck Finn was from the public library whilst still a mere nipper. I thoroughly enjoyed it and when I started secondary school and we did Tom Sawyer I kept thinking why can't we do Huck? We all think of Huck as a children's book these days but I hope to change your thoughts on this. For children this is a boys own adventure and can still captivate a young person's mind, but as we get older we find that this isn't really how we would judge this book.

We know that nowadays we aren't allowed to use the language or have the views set forth here, and Huck only slowly starts to realise that a black slave is still a person, but that isn't the main issue. When we are little we see this as an adventure, indeed many of us have dreamt about going along the Missippi on a raft, but as we get older we begin to realise that ultimately this book is full of humour. Whether we are reading of Jim the slave's superstitions or the exploits of a couple of conmen you start to realise that this book is genuinely funny, and is a comedy classic in its own right. Because of this you never really grow out of this book, it grows with you and that is probably one of its reasons for its sustained popularity. Mark Twain hit upon something here that you can never really tire of, finding new things in it all the time. Also if you want to bond with your son then reading this together can help to some degree.

In this Puffin Classics edition you have an introduction by Darren Shan as well as extras at the back, which include more about Mark Twain, the characters in this book and a glossary, as well as some discussion questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the rest of them rebel rivers, 3 Feb 2010
Dave Gilmour's cat (on Dave Gilmour's boat) - See all my reviews
Far from being 'just' a children's story, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a contender for the Great American Novel, along with Moby-Dick and On the Road. The extraordinary lyricism of Twain's writing, which flows along like the Mississippi itself, provides the perfect vessel for this genuinely haunting meditation on freedom and humanity.

Forget any TV/film version you've seen, the book is a must-read for the author's incredible use of language alone. It also happens to be a fantastic, thrilling, funny and sad adventure story at the same time.

Like all truly great art, it works on countless levels. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An American classic that must be read by all (and never banned), 5 May 2007
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If there's any book out there that needs no introduction (or review, to be honest), it's Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Yet here I am reviewing it, anyway. I must admit (not without a fair share of embarrassment) that I just now got around to reading this American classic for the first time. I never had to read it in school, and to some degree I felt pretty familiar with the novel even without having read it - that's just how popular and important Huckleberry Finn is to the social fabric of America.

Nowadays, with all the politically correct liberals having escaped their Berkeley zoo and run amuck all over the nation, many of our young people are told not to read this novel. In fact, legions of voices cry out for poor little Huck Finn, that beloved rascal of literature, to be banned from schools and libraries - for the crime of using the n-word, a word commonly used by both blacks and whites up and down the Mississippi during Huck's time (not to mention numerous hip-hop artists of today). Turning a blind eye to the fact that Twain made the slave Jim a noble, human, easy-going fellow with his heart always in the right place (unlike Huck's other companions), the literary fascists contend that this novel is poison to the minds of youngsters. One can only imagine the reaction Mark Twain would have to the hysteria his book incites in liberals today (although he would certainly not be surprised, as he had to fight censorship of this book from the date of its publication).

One of the great ironies of the "Ban Huck Finn" brouhaha is the fact that young people will surely find this novel much more entertaining than the vast majority of other literary classics they are asked to read. This is a very funny book, especially once "the duke and the dauphin" arrive on the scene and, later, when Tom Sawyer meticulously plans out Jim's rescue from captivity (no thanks to the captors, who didn't even try to make it as difficult as Tom says it should be). Young readers will also relate to and understand this book, a fact which should give rise to spirited discussion of it in class. Don't we want our kids to be excited about books and reading?

The more outrageous the hissy fits thrown by liberal critics over the "dangers" of Huck Finn, the more important it is for everyone, young and old alike, to go out and read Twain's novel. Whenever someone tells you not to read something, it's important that you go out there and read it - and discover whatever it is the book banning loonies don't want you to know. Prove to them that you are intelligent enough to know the difference between the social values of the past and present, fiction and reality, right and wrong, etc. Think for yourself. Read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

5.0 out of 5 stars American Lit Begins Here, 1 Dec 2002
Bruce Kendall "BEK" (Southern Pines, NC) - See all my reviews
True, this novel is over the heads of many high school English students. This is the "darkest" American novel I know of, which is probably one of the reasons that induced Hemingway to say that American literature begins and ends here. Like Conrad's Marlowe, Huck is journeying "upriver" into a region of the human psyche best left unobserved by any but the most stalwart heart. His eyes are opened on the voyage. His ultimate character is shaped by what he experiences. His is a passage from naivete to wide-opened observer.What begins as an idyllic raft trip turns more and more turbulent the closer to Illinois he gets. What begins as a Tom Sawyer lark becomes more and more Faulknerian. Yes,it is a voyage from inexperience to experience.
Yes, it is a quest story. Yes, it is a novel about man's inhumanity to man, etc. etc. But there is so much more at work here..Twain shared much in common with Swift. We are looking primarily at the underbelly of humanity here, not its bright spots.
The ending, as pointed out by numerous critics,is problematical. Exactly what is Huck's position vis-a-vis Jim? Has all that has occured previously been given up in the moment he is counseled by Tom? Is Huck so ready to overthrow his hard-fought allegiance in order to conform to society's dictums? Twain offers no clear resolution, but this should not keep this novel from being taught in secondary shools or University classrooms, when students are given the liberty to consrtuct their own conclusions.
Personally, I believe what Twain is telling us is that we can never exhibit our true natures in society without risking being stoned to death. Conventional pressures have not really changed that much from Twain's day to the present. Just by espousing my support for this novel I am opening myself up to criticism aimed my way from the righteously correct.
Society hasn't changed all that much. Religious piety and indignation has been supplanted by political correctness. Harriet Beacher Stowe, bless her, is alive and well. There are people out there convinced that Uncle Tom's Cabin is a more significant work than Huck Finn. What would Vonnegut say here?

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, 19 Jan 2013
This seems like a childrens book but the messages in it are universal. I was glad there was a 'happy ending', and you can see why this is regarded one of the greatest American novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huck Finn, 6 July 2012
Dr. Philip R. Horobin "Homer" (Wimborne, Dorset) - See all my reviews
I read this book as a child and thoroughly enjoyed it as a ripping adventure story. I'm now seventy and decided to read it again. This time, I found that it is one of those two-level stories, fine for children to dash through and absolutely marvellous for adults to take the time to enjoy Twain's wonderful prose. His treatment of the slavery issue is non-judgemental and matter-of-fact. It reflects things as they were at that time. The final chapters regarding Jim's escape are extremely funny and made me laugh so loudly that I woke my wife up. No mean feat.

The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn (Collins Classics)
The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn (Collins Classics) by Mark Twain (Paperback - 1 April 2010)
2.25