5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, honest autobiography
Published on 11 Nov 2010 by IvoryGinger

3.0 out of 5 stars Second best
Published on 4 Feb 2011 by Mr. R. M. Lathwell

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, honest autobiography, 11 Nov 2010
The second part of Chris Evans' brilliant autobiography, following where 'It's Not What You Think' left off. If the first book was a more sentimental reflection on how he reached the heady heights of fame and success from his early beginnings, this second part goes into what those kind of heights can do to a man. He is open, honest, touching, laugh-out-loud amusing and a fantastic writer.

I haven't been in to autobiographies before but this had made me not only a new fan of the genre but also a born-again Chris Evans fan and a new listener of his Radio 2 breakfast show.

I loved every minute of it and couldn't put it down - really recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Second best, 4 Feb 2011
Mr. R. M. Lathwell "holden-c" (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been a far of Chris Evans since the very first episode of the Big Breakfast, only wavering when his ego span out of control and by his own admission he pretty much lost the plot. The first volume of his autobiography, "It's Not What You Think", was a hugely enjoyable read and this book picks up where the last finished at the time of his acquisition of Vigin Radio. Personally I felt this second volume fell short of the high standards of the first. It was more interesting to hear of his growing up and developing career than it has been to read of his fall from grace and subsequent climb back up the ladder.

For me the repeated self depracation and chastisement became dull as were the lengthy tales of Ferrari adulation and acquisition. There are a few pages dedicated to the oppulance of his former Surrey home which go into so much detail as to the granduer of it all that it sounds vain and boastful, which I'm sure weren't the intention as Chris appears very much a changed man, but were nonetheless excessive.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad book. It gives an insight into the world of celebrity, it's honest, it's easy to read and there are far worse autobiographies out there. Equally though there are far better reads which why I'm scoring this an average 3/5.

4.0 out of 5 stars celebrity self combusts, 18 Oct 2010
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Chris Evan's, like him or loathe him, is a genius. Here we have the second half of his autobiography following on from last year's part one. This picks up at the point he bought Virgin Radio and takes us through to the present day.

It is refreshingly honest and very interesting, although told in light and easy to read chapters. It is incredible what the guy has done, part by luck and part by judgement and it is a calmer and moderate Chris Evans that takes us back through his most difficult years. He shares lots of amazing tales (I loved him in the South of France having dinner with Bono and then being invited to drink the best wine in the world by Andrew Lloyd-Webber) with his descent into the darker side of his personality and behaviour. Yep you do roll your eyes about how many times he had everything you could wish for and then chucked it away, but a flawed genius is still a genius and you do root for him when he finally gets it all together and turn into today's Chris Evans.

I was a listener at the time of the Virgin changes so it was interesting to see it from the other side although sorry to see the way he was forced to get rid of the old team through Boardroom politics. It has to be said that I don't tend to listen to his R2 show now, I actually think he has gone a bit middle of the road and lost the edge he once had - perhaps his new re-invention of himself has slightly taken the edge off, but it is nice to see a tortured soul settled down and coming to terms with himself.

This is a very interesting read that works on a number of levels - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flew through this highly entertaining book, 16 Nov 2010
I flew through this highly entertaining book - as I grew up watching and listening to Chris Evans I could relate to a lot of his experiences but he's written them in a very entertaining way - hence 5 stars
Jonathan Hirst

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best autobiography I have ever read., 16 Oct 2010
Michael Heppell (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
A fascinating, honest and entertaining insight. Not just to the world of Chris Evans, but also the world of media, business and above all people.

I was going to keep this book for a holiday read in a couple of weeks but having a sneaky peep just a couple of days ago meant (sorry about the cliché) I just couldn't put it down.

I know if I were to start to write about each and every part I'd end up writing a thousand word review. And I'm certain I wouldn't be able to resist sharing some spoilers about selling and buying outrageous houses and cars, blowing deals, screwing up opportunities, coming back, find love, losing it, finding it, losing friends, buying friends, getting another chance... etc, etc So I'm going to summarise Memoirs of a Fruitcake in one sentence.

This is the best autobiography I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars FAB..U...LOUS!, 20 Oct 2010
After reading the first instalment of the Chirs Evans autobiography last summer whilst on holiday in Las Vegas, I was excited about no 2 coming out to continue his fantastic life story. I pre ordered it and when it arrived during the kids mid term holiday, I sat for the whole afternoon and evening and devoured it. In some way I wish I hadn't read it so fast so I still had it to read, but I loved every page.

I was not a huge fan of chris in his hey day but seeing him on the Jonathan Ross show last year promoting the first book, I thought it sounded interested. I was not wrong. what an interesting man and what a roller coster of a life he has lead.

I found the whole Sachsgate story facinating especially as I never for a moment considered it would affect Evans. His romance with Billie Piper was tender and much more eyeopening than I first thought. Just a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't Put it Down, 31 Dec 2010
An excellent and honest review of his escapades over the past 10 years. I really couldn't put this down. I remember listening to him on Virgin Breakfast, and missed him once he left. Then he took over Drivetime on Radio2, it took awhile for me to adapt to his style, then he mastered the Breakfast Show, this book has just encapsulated his life. It is honest, gutsy, and you scratch your head at the opportunities and the lifestyle he has lived - a gifted individual, even thought somewhat off the wall!!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 6 Dec 2010
Fantastic. Could not put it down. Read it in a couple of days. So interesting, really well written. Not his biggest fan but a great insight to his world. Do not feel it is written to justify anything, just a simple fromthe heart story.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fall and Rise of Chris Evans, 28 April 2011
Not quite as good as the 1st book, which perfectly reflected the energy of Evans' earlier career, but this is still a really good read. Book 2 charts the fall and rise of Evans career, the former coming as he loses touch with reality (hence the title). It is a very honest account and you can almost feel Evans cringing as he writes about some of his escapades with a hint of regret. My favourite part was when Chris and Billie go house hunting in LA and the chance `Friends' encounter, far removed from the couple's infamy back in the UK. Evans than comes back from the ashes and re-invents himself as a far more stable, yet brilliant, radio DJ with a solid marriage and the days of madness behind him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chris Evans - You have to love him., 11 Oct 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Memoirs of a Fruitcake (Paperback)
A very interesting autobiography of an immensely likeable D.J. and entrepreneur. Chris Evans , from humble beginnings , has become one of the most likeable fun loving D.Js we've had in many a decade he seems to be able to put a smile on your face even during the morning rush to work. His natural talent and enthusiasm rubs off on all he comes into contact with. When you consider his lack of formal education you'll be pleasantly surprised by his ability as a competent author , I think he is talented enough to pen a best selling novel. Well worth reading.

Memoirs of a Fruitcake
Memoirs of a Fruitcake by Chris Evans (Paperback - 21 July 2011)
6.29