4.0 out of 5 stars It's not Angela, but it's still a great read
Published on 14 Jun. 2011 by Laura T

3.0 out of 5 stars Never disappoint
I love Lindsey Kelks characters and their humour, Rachel and her friends are likeable, lovable and funny, really enjoyed reading this.
Published 19 months ago by Malli75

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not Angela, but it's still a great read, 14 Jun. 2011
Laura T (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved the three books published so far in Lindsay Kelk's `I Heart...' series, and was really looking forward to see how she would handle a different world and a new set of characters. And apart from one slightly indulgent interlude when an I Heart character makes a brief cameo, the answer is just fine. I instantly warmed to Our New Heroine, Rachel Summers, who thought that her life was on track before she is unceremoniously dumped by her long-term boyfriend, and utilises her favourite pastime - making to-do lists - to get over him, with the help of best friends Emilie and Matthew.

At first, I found this book a little hard to get into, compared to Angela's adventures, and I think that's probably because the setup is fully explained on the back cover, but the first few chapters spend quite a while, well, setting it up. In some ways this was a good thing - for example, we're given a solid picture of Rachel and Simon's relationship, and why it wasn't working - but it meant that the pace wasn't as fast as it might have been. However, once Rachel starts working her way down the list, starting with the traditional makeover but moving onto less-traditional chick lit tropes, such as bungee jumping and breaking the law, the story springs into life. A section set in Canada near the end of the novel proved to me that Kelk is at her best when there's a travel-writing element involved, as in the I Heart books - this was one of my favourite episodes. Without spoiling the ending, I also liked the way Kelk managed to keep a number of likely candidates in play for the role of Rachel's eventual love interest - although I thought it was reasonably obvious she was going to end up with the man she eventually chooses, there were definitely some wild cards thrown into the mix.

Overall, I think this is written in a slightly different mould to the I Heart series - although the plot is still fairly slight (not a bad thing in my opinion) it's more similar to the `typical' chick lit novel in that there's less time spent simply describing locations and shopping (I like the character-focused nature of the original series, but I can see that others might prefer a stronger plot). Hence, I'd recommend it even if you weren't a fan of Kelk's other three books, and it's fun to see her write about someone other than Angela. Personally, although I definitely enjoyed this stand-alone, I still can't wait for `I Heart Vegas'!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stick it on your To-Read list!, 16 July 2011
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
I have to confess I wasn't instantly enamoured by this book as I usually am with the 'I Heart...' series, and it did take a little while for me to get into the book which I felt was a bit of a shame. Perhaps it was my own reluctance to get used to a new character or something, I don't know, but once I got going it was okay and I was eager to pick the book up at every opportunity and read on. Rachel is a great character, and finds herself suddenly single after years of being in a stable relationship. She doesn't know much about the dating scene and feels lost, a feeling a lot of women (like me!) will be able to relate to, so instantly Kelk has tried to find some common ground with her readers there which I like - I'm sure a lot of women can relate to Rachel and her story in some way. She's a good character, I liked her and felt sorry for her, although of course things quickly go to plan for her unlike in real like, but that's why it's fiction I suppose.

Rachel's best friends Emilie and Matthew (the required gay best friend of course) were great characters, and really kept the book alive and flowing when Rachel was having her down moments. Rachel works as a make up artist so I was expecting a bit about make up in the book but to be honest, it is barely mentioned and there was nothing overly technical about it in the book at all, it's only really there to give Rachel a job. I did find Rachel's makeover a bit too typical and expected, and how all the guys suddenly thought she was gorgeous, putting a bit too much importance on appearances for my liking but I suppose it's reflective of real life so I just went with it. The book is mostly set in London, but does travel the US for a bit and I really enjoyed these scenes at the end, perhaps my favourite of all actually. Do look out for an 'I Heart....' character cameo which I thought was a fantastic touch!

I think this is a good stand alone novel and shows us Kelk can do more than just write about Angela Clarke and her 'I Heart...' adventures. The cover to me is fantastic, and certainly encapsulates all the book is - fun, bright and a bit of a laugh. It's got a good cast of characters who make sure there is always something going on, and give you lots of giggles along the way. For me, it was very formulaic and I wish something had happened to throw a spanner in the works, but as it was, they didn't so I just enjoyed what was there. I am sure people who dislike chick lit won't like this book, after all, it is typical chick lit but I really enjoyed it for what it is, a fun and light hearted look at love and moving on, and Kelk's story telling is enjoyable to read, she paints a good picture with her words. A great book to sling in your beach bag for your summer hols!

5.0 out of 5 stars Her BEST book yet!, 16 Jun. 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
I enjoyed reading Lindsey Kelk's book `I Heart Hollywood' but I wasn't prepared for just how much I would love this one. The whole point of reading this type of book is the fact that they are usually fun and light hearted. Sometimes the storylines are predictable but in a way I kind of like knowing I will get the ending I want. When I started reading this book I found myself smiling and smirking as I painfully re-lived moments in my younger years where I was experiencing `the single life'.

The book is a respectable 400 pages, but I have to be truthful and say that the humour started from the time I opened the book. The main character Rachel Summers is an absolute sweetheart who I fell in love with immediately. Her predicament is one that I am sure many readers can sympathise with. Don't get me wrong, it isn't your rip-roaring, tears streaming down the face kind of humour, but it touched chords with the scenarios and situations Rachel seems to get herself in to.

Add in to the mix Rachel's two best friends and this book was made for me. Emilie is a woman that is addicted to men, whether it be flirting with them, sleeping with them or getting free drinks off them. Matthew is the six foot plus stunner, who also happens to be gay but definitely not camp. The three of them make an unlikely trio, but their characters are what made this book for me.

We get to see Rachel's journey from hell as she tries to adapt to a single life. The list is what started her strange journey and it is ultimately the list that creates some very crazy and humorous scenarios. As time went on you could see Rachel getting braver and more daring with herself, and you get the distinct impression you are party of watching her become a stronger person. The book takes us and the trio of friends from London to Canada and watches all three of them struggle to keep up with the craziness.

There were moments in this book when I did laugh out loud and moments where I was smirking to myself, but I cannot fault this book one little bit. I adored everything about it from the people to the places to the crazy and daring challenges Rachel faces. The ending was perfect for me and when I had finished I was truly disappointed.

No, this won't be everybody's cup of tea, but it was certainly mine. It's not intellectually challenging, but frankly when a book makes me smile this much I really don't care. HIGHLY recommended! Can't wait to see what Lindsey comes up with next!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 9 July 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
The first thing which needs to be mentioned about this book is the front cover. This cover is going to scream out at you from the shelves to buy it. Bold and eye-catching is the only way to describe this book. There will be no hunting for this book. The title is in bold pink letters which have been written on a list. The back ground is light blue with pink stars and a pink car in the top corner, every chick lit lovers dream cover!

The main character in this book is Rachel. From the start of this book I loved her character. When we meet Rachel she is being dumped by Simon and so we meet Rachel right from the start of her journey and see the emotion she is going through. I think this is why we warm to her character straight away as I am sure most of us have found ourselves in her situation so we can relate to her character.

I loved her friends Emelie and Matthew, I found that they helped to bringthe humor to the story which was a good touch as it broke the book up so that the story wasn't doom and gloom. We could all do with friends like them.
I did find that it took me a while to like the character of Dan who works on set with Rachel. There was something about him which made me sit on the fence about his character right upto the end of the book I didn't feel like I could trust him.

I found that The Single Girl's To Do List had a similar feel to the I Heart series books even though it is a stand alone book. It is an easy read, nothing to challenging and yet enjoyable all the same.

This book is a real page turner and it kept me entertained the whole way through the book. From the first page we were off on a fast pace being drawn into the story and the book carried on in this way. There were no low points to the book were you would usually find yourself skimming a chapter. The ending was up nicely. In my opinion the end of the book really was the end of the book for me. When I read The I Heart series at the end of each book I found myself needing another book as they felt like they had somewhere else to go and I felt the same with The Jenny Lopez has A Bad Week book, but with this book I did not feel that the book could go any further. I hope it does just stay as a stand alone book.

This book is very out there with its contents so you need to have an imagination to read it, the things Rachel gets up to such as getting a Tattoo and flying round the world to meet someone you had a crush on at school all in the space of two weeks!
I liked the little part where Jenny Lopez turns up in the book it did give a familiar feel to the book, without actually taking over the book. It was a nice touch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, 22 Aug. 2012
Chick Department (Manila, Philippines) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
This novel is not exactly a romantic story but more of a finding yourself after a huge dumping kind of book. This is a thoroughly enjoyable read, take note I like romantic stories but this one really held my attention.

First of all, I'm glad that this is written in the first person point of view because it made me feel closer to the character. Like her best friends, I felt like I was part of her journey in completing her list in becoming a singleton. Second, I think Simon, her ex-boyfriend, is by far one of the worst boyfriends one could ever have. Third, coming up with a Single Girl's To-Do List should be recommended to anyone who's undergoing a breakup. It really helped Rachel in coping with the disastrous dumping and made her realise what she wants in her life. She was right, some people just go through a relationship because it has become familiar for them. It is not the person they cling to but the idea of not being alone. Lastly, I recommend that you go and read this book, I finished it in a day that's how enjoyable it is!

SPOILER ALERT!

The thing with Dan was quite romantic but I think his reaction was a bit out of line since it's quite difficult for Rachel to return his feelings if she just got out of a five-year relationship. Hello! Of course Rachel is confused!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Chick-Lit, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
Rachel and Simon are doing a Ross and Rachel – taking a break and she’s determined to win him back. I disliked Simon from the very beginning and practically screamed at my Kindle when Rachel wanted him back.

Rachel’s two best friends: Emelie and Matthew were highly entertaining. Matthew had me in serious fits of giggles throughout the plot. Lindsey’s natural humour and wit shone through his character. “Between them, Matthew and Emelie were keeping Clinton’s Cards in business – hopeless romantics the pair of them.” The plot was filled with laughter, sarcasm, highs and lows. They were there for Rachel 24/7 and I loved reading about the three of them together.

In regards to Simon, I felt sorry for Rachel. He was a real *insert the words best insult here* and he needed a punch in the face. We’ve all been there with an ex boyfriend and we hate running back to them, knowing full well that they’re the wrong ones for us. I’ve got that t-shirt. I hoped Rachel would find better, but as the plot progressed, I wasn’t bothered whether she fell back in love with the right man. As long as she was happy, that’s all that mattered.

There wasn’t anything I disliked about the book. It was a feel good chick-lit and is perfect to read on a holiday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern day Bridget Jones!, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
I loved this book! I bought this knowing nothing about the book or the author - best thing I ever did! Rachel is a modern version of Bridget Jones; just a little less tragic/more determined not to become a pathetic spinster. It was so easy to relate to her (without leaving my fiancé) although I do now have an overbearing desire to ditch my wardrobe in favour of pretty dresses, dye my hair red and resurrect my to-do list notebook!

The book is well written and funny throughout. The characters are loveable (well, except Simon and Ana); I even had a soft spot for Dan before he poured his heart out.

Favourite quotes:
"And what a difference seven days could make. It was like I was living in not quite a Craig David song, although I sincerely hoped I'd be chilling by Sunday. Except without actually saying chilling, because I could never get away with saying that. What with me being 28, middle class and white."

"The make-up artist the magazine had originally booked had quit when she'd heard Dan had pulled out, and Dan had only pulled out because he thought I was going. There wasn't a single verse in Alanis Morissette's entire songbook to deal with the irony of the situation."

4.0 out of 5 stars The Single Girl's To-Do List, 14 July 2011
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
The Single Girl's To-Do List is a light-hearted read, that I'm sure fans of chick-lit and Lindsey's I heart series will love. The premise of the story is relatively simple and is pretty much summed up in the title of the book. Newly single Rachel Summer's is a big fan of making lists, knowing this, her friends Emelie and Matthew help to put a list together for her to help her get over her ex.

I did feel that 'The Single Girl's To-Do List' was nothing new in this genre, and I also felt at times that it was very similar to Deborah Wright's Swimming with Dolphins, another book that I have read recently. However, I do think this was written in a more light-hearted, fun and easy-to-read way.

We are instantly made to feel sympathy and a genuine warmth towards the main character, Rachel, as just when she thought she had it all, everything slips away from her. Her two best friends are very bold characters who are good supporting characters and I think I would have liked to have found out a bit more about their lives and relationships.

Overall, this is a good little summer read that I'm sure many will enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book I could relate to, 4 Jan. 2012
A. Shearwani "daisypwincess" (Southend, Essex) - See all my reviews
As a big fan of the "I heart..." series, I left it quite late to have a read of this. But, boy was it worth the wait!

Firstly, in Lindsay's typical fashion, the book flowed beautifully and this made it impossible to put down!

But Secondly and mainly, I have never related to a book more! I could have been reading a book about myself, OK so I didn't ever make a to do list after breaking up with my ex, and have a gay best friend, or dye my hair red, but the themes and the emotions matched me to a tee!! I'd say the main protagonist, Rachel, squeezed into two weeks, a rollercoaster of emotion and changes that took me two years!

From breaking up with her long term live in partner (like I did), and having friends who told me to start living, as I'd been consumed by my ex, which led to a big confidence boost and eventually going from a timid brunette to a mouthy blond! And eventually finding a man who just adored me for who I was and makes me feel like I'm floating on air!

But enough about me, this book was fun, inspiring, romantic, funny and had a host of believable and likeable characters.

Now to catch up with my friends over in VEGAS!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly Angela, but still worth a look., 3 Nov. 2011
Nicole Casey "book lover" (Dublin, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Single Girl's To-Do List (Paperback)
For lovers of Angela Clarke, and the wonderful I Heart series Kelk is known for, this book will definitely be a bit of a different turn. Not bad, just different.

I have to admit, I found this novel a little...dull, and I really can't pinpoint why. Perhaps it was my unwillingness to accept a new character, and a new situation. Or perhaps Kelk just can't write about England as well as she manages to write about New York.

I will admit, upon completion, I did find this an enjoyable read, and it has earned itself a place on my bookshelf alongside my other Lindsey Kelk works. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking for an easy, enjoyable beach read, but if your looking for Angela Clarke's double, you certainly won't find her in this book.

Lets just say I can't wait for I Heart Vegas, and to have the chance to enjoy some of Kelks better writing once again.

The Single Girl's To-Do List
The Single Girl's To-Do List by Lindsey Kelk (Paperback - 9 Jun. 2011)