Grow Your Own Drugs: A Year With James Wong
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:£14.88+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 April 2010
If (like me) you were a fan of the 1st series of 'grow your own drugs' on BBC2 (and dvd) Grow Your Own Drugs [DVD] [2009]and its accompanying book Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies and Beauty Treats, you will be delighted with this new book. (And with the knowledge that the passionate and evangelical James Wong is back for another series on BBC2).

This new book, contains over 100 new remedies for both medical and beauty remedies, and a seasonal timetable on when and how to grow them. It also offers good advice on where to locate the natural ingredients you may need either locally or even online if you fail to be as 'green fingered' as you would like.

Also included are top tips for general healthy living, case studies and ideas for home remedies too (I was very happy to see the tips for fleas as my pets are gearing up for the summer already and I spend a fortune on flea remedies from the vets!). Some fabby gift ideas too ( I may just be making the Sugar 'flatulence' mice for my brother!!).

224 quality colour pages make this book a real delight. Love it.
VINE VOICEon 9 April 2010
James Wong uses his botanical expertise in this book where he teaches how to grow over 100 new, natural, cheap and easy remedies, showing how to improve your health and save money.

His remedies can tackle all manner of common conditions and beauty problems without the need for prescription drugs.

James shows how easy it to have access to the right ingredients with his easy-to follow seasonal instructions even if you do not own a garden.

His yearly planner advises what to plant and when and the best time to harvest ir order to make your own pharmacy at home.

An easy to follow and well illustrated book.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This second book in James Wongs TV series Grow Your Own Drugs is another fact packed volume which supports and builds on the first series.
A whole new range of recipes and treatments is on offer with simple practical advice that laymen and women will gain confidence and inspiration from.
There is also a host of additional internet linked resources.
The whole area of natural treatments with plant medicines is gaining popularity and it is heartening that James has managed to give this knowledge back to the people in a simple humorous and easily understood manner.
I recommend this book to all with an interest in simple living and also to the scientists and drug companys to see that there are no patents on healthy living and many treatments for common ailments are free to hand on the nearest piece of land.
Lets hope this trend continues and the layperson can once more take control of their own everyday health without the confusing array of specialists health products and drug concoctions.
I very much look forward to the next series in which i hope James will touch a little more on the historical context of natural plant remedys in the U.K. and abroad.
on 11 May 2010
I am making up things from this book at a fast a furious pace!

The arthritis tea really does work for me, to the point where now I will not miss my daily cuppa, even though it is messy to make, and a bit of a fuss, but for me, to be pain free, makes it all worth while.

The verbena and cat nip toy is the most loved toy in my arsenal of entertainment for my kitty now. She will lie, wrapped around it, with her nose buried in it, for hours at a time, purring like a little steam engine! The fact that I made it out of one of hubbies old socks might be a help here too though! lol

This year we had a sudden in-flux of clothes moths, probably from a nearby flat that hasn't been used though is still furnished. So I made up the clothes moth remedy balls. To see those moths battering themselves against the windows, in broad daylight, to get out, was a wonderful sight! Add to that the smell is pleasant, not like most moth balls, and I'm a very happy bunny.

The growing instructions for the plants you use in the recipes are well laid out and easy to follow, and I've already started growing some indoors, but he keeps things simple, by keeping the gardening section seperate. But if you don't have access to growing things, or are just plain hopeless at it, there is also a list of trusted suppliers where you can purchase the items ready dried, and even hints on where to get items like turmeric (arthritis tea) cheaply.

I love James Wong's style of writing. The recipes are well written out, easy to follow, and, as yet, I haven't discovered one that doesn't work! If you are an old hand at making your own medicines, you may find this book goes over familiar territory, but even an old hand might find a few new ideas here, as James worked out a lot of these recipes himself from his extensive knowledge of plants. But for a newby it is a brilliant starting point to turning your nose up a manufactured alternatives. I can't recommend this book enough, really I can't.
on 25 August 2010
The second book from James Wong. Beautifully written and illustrated. We've tried several of the 'recipies' ad they DO what they say in the book. The book is also packed with so much information. It is a one stop for all the information you will need, including how to cultivate aswell as harvest! I can only say Excellent James Wong.
on 29 June 2010
An inspirational book to read and use for reference. Beautifully presented and full of enthusiasm for the subject, it cannot fail to encourage the reader to grow and forage for plants with healing qualities, and then go on to make really helpful remedies.
I can personally vouch for the efficacy of many of the recipes and look forward to trying many more.
However, reader beware. You are soon going to want more space to grow herbs , and then much more cupboard and shelf space to store ingredients and the finished products !
on 26 June 2010
Extremley good book. Very interesting and helpful, with information on herbs and their uses. Very highly recommended.
on 8 May 2010
An entertaining and interesting book full of ideas. Having watched the television programme it is good to be able to refer to the recipes, but even without watching the programme it is still worth having.
on 4 May 2010
I was watching on TV about how to grow your own drugs by James Wong so I decided to purchase a book. It is absolutely great reading alot of information on various plants to use and how to use them especially to cure things like headaches, tummy pain etc. Its great. Well recommended to buy.
on 5 June 2010
This is a really good read, informative, inspirational, it gives you the, "I want to try this.", feeling.
If you've watched any of James's programmes from the series, 'Grow your own drugs', you'll know what I mean.
Some of the tips for easily growing your own herbs, like buying some Lemon grass in the supermarket,put in a container of water( a jam jar will do), on your kitchen windowsill, let it root and plant it up, grow on in a pot in a sunny spot....these tips make growing your own drugs more accessible to people.
And yes, I really would love to spend an afternoon with James! Purely research you understand!