I thought I'd read books by Tom Knox before but I was mistaken. This is in the same vein as the Will Adams books I've read - The Alexander Cipher and The Exodus Quest and I can tell you up front I'll be buying more of Tom's books.

Published on 31 July 2012 by subject2status

3.0 out of 5 stars The Babylon Rite
Interesting start with solid characters.Sadly author seemed to struggle to pull the story together towards the end and lost my interest a little. Nevertheless not too bad.
Published on 12 April 2012 by heather kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The amount of research & imaginative interpretation is fantastic with shocking details some readers may find unpleasant, 31 July 2012
subject2status (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)

The plot and story line has an underlying ancient historical setting which is linked with the modern day hero who needs to solve the ancient puzzle as he's in a life-or-death situation. A bit of a chase novel I guess.

What I like about the Babylon Rite is that there are a number of heros and they have completely separated story lines for the first 80% of the book. This keeps you guessing about the plot and how they will eventually come together.

It's a pacy story with a whole bunch of twists and there's a lot of reference to mutilation. The amount of research and imaginative interpretation is fantastic with quite shocking details that some readers will find unpleasant.

Don't let that put you off though, it's a great read and at 464 pages it won't be over too quickly.

For those of you who like to catch out the publishers, I've found three typos where an edit has been made but the orginal word has been left in as well (Harper Collins - let me know if you have a vacancy for a proof reader).

If you like Tom Knox I think you'd also like:
* Will Adams
* Steve Berry
* James Becker

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wild ride!, 16 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
This is Tom Knox's best thriller so far, I think. I knew nothing about the terrifying Moche culture of Peru - to be perfectly truthful, I'd never heard of them until I read this book. It's one of the things that I enjoy about Tom Knox's novels - despite the fantastically page-turning stories and the truly lurid murders at the heart of each one, I learn things about the world - its history, archaeology, rituals, cultures and ancient civilisations - that I nev knew before. He's really brilliant at digging up the most incredibly obscure but fascinating details and linking them together within a really entertaining story. This one travels from Scotland to Peru via lots of ancient Templar-associated sites. My favourite part is when the characters travel through South America, which I have never visited, but it is clear that the author has - his descriptions of poor rural villages and the weird rituals going on in the markets is riveting. You can tell he's travelled to these places and recorded genuine experiences, because the details ring true and are extremely vivid. This is never going to win literary awards, but it's the perfect armchair or holiday read - it'll sweep you away all over the world and leave you breathless and a little horrified. Just what I like.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Babylon Rite, 12 April 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh so samey, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Kindle Edition)
This is the third book that I've started to read and lo and behold the format is the same as the last two. I just hope that the ending is a proper one this time and doesn't leave the whole point hanging in the air. Don't think it has been proof-read properly as Jessica turned into Nina in one chapter!!! What is it with authors nowadays, they all have such lame endings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oscene, depraved and very poorly written., 10 Dec. 2014
Warren N Baker (Campbelltown, New South Wales Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed previous novels by Tom Knox but The Babylon Rite was a monumental disappointment.

Don't waste your money buying this book. It is poorly written, has bad syntax and grammar and has far too much padding that distracts from the story line. The Templars segments of the story are minimal and only incidental to the main story which takes in the present time (c. 1900 to 2014)

I found the main theme of the novel was sexual perversion and debauchery through use of extremely dangerous drugs. If you consider the following topics obscene and disgusting, I would strongly suggest you do not read this book. Content that I found obsene were: violent rape, violent anal rape, erotic murder, erotic suicide, erotic self-mutilation, torture, bestiality, mass human sacrifice, mass murder and any other perversion and debauchery you can think of and several more that only a truly sick mind could conceive.

Tom Knox is now on my "never buy any of his books again" list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too bloodthirsty., 16 Mar. 2013
J. Faiers (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
I can see the idea that the Templars fought under the influence of a drug, but the means of getting to that conclusion was a tad too bloodthirsty for me. I tried this book before and gave up because of that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts alright and goes downhill, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Paperback)
Unfortunately foreign airports don't often have a great selection. This was the best of a bad bunch.

I rattled through the early pages with relative enjoyment before the story developed into a combination of the very obvious or the totally ridiculous. If it wasn't for a series of long coach journeys without other entertainment this would have been binned half way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars A rip roaring page turner, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Kindle Edition)
This novel properly has something of every genre. Very enjoyable read, fast paced and travels everywhere. However, the denouement and the penultimate part of the story is extremely far fetched and rather laboured. Loved the bit about the farmer at the very end though.....

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable story., 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Kindle Edition)
while I enjoyed the story I found it at times slow moving and my attention drifted. Have read better books.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 9 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Babylon Rite (Kindle Edition)
as usual Know never disappoints. Another great read - think I have read all of his books to date now so I guess I will be waiting for the next one... hurry up Tom!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Babylon Rite
The Babylon Rite by Tom Knox (Paperback - 16 Feb. 2012)