Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 October 2010
Like a few of the other reviews I had the three books on tape and listened to them constantly until they where totally worn and despite my best efforts not really useable any more. Fist thing you should know is that this is something that you would want to listen to again and again and it still comes across great. The books have everything from detailed battles, love, betrayal and religion. The book also brings to life Arthur and why people would be willing to give there lives to his course if necessary. I would also point out that I think that every book store I have been in at one time or another these books have been there pick of the week. Tim Pigott-Smith reading is fantastic and in truth I don't think there is a person that would be able to read this title and bring it to life like he has been able to do. Please read the books I am sure you will not be disappointed.
on 8 September 2011
If you're looking at this item then you're probably a fan of the trilogy in printed format. I am, I adore the Warlord books, and the Saxon sagas - so I was keen to get the audio books.

Excellent for long train/car journeys. The narrator does a fairly good job of adding regional accents to the Britons, but falls into a sort of parodied Germanic accent which doesn't work so well.

My one criticism is that this abridged narration is rather too abridged - missing a lot of the detail which makes the series so enjoyable. For example, the first battle after Gundleus is pursuing Mordred - the discussion between Owain and Gundleus is missing, as is the battle itself. This happens rather a lot, and if like me you've read the books several times, you'll probably be disappointed with this.

Other than that - very good, and recommended for Cornwell fans.
on 27 January 2010
The Warlord Trilogy: The Winter King/Enemy Of God/Excalibur

This has been a long time coming. I owned these on Cassette long ago and wore them out, now finally, they are here on CD.

This is probably the best adaptation of Arthur I have come across. Emotionally inspiring and a real delight to listen to, this novel which is narrated excellently by Tim Pigott-Smith is a real gem and should be cherished. It tells the tale of Arthur through the eyes of one of his foot solders, littered with both joy and sadness Bernard Cornwall's vision of an Arthurian Briton is captured here in an audible dream.

Highly recommended!
on 17 September 2010
Tim Piggott-Smith reads in such an excellent style it makes the story come alive. And the story is excellent - Cornwall at his very best. There are so many stories about Arthur but Cornwall uses a different tack. The 'magic' of Merlin is steeped in old English tradition whereas the interaction with the Saxon incursion is presented in a realitic way, using figures from history.
on 11 January 2011
The Audio Book compilation contains all 3 stories in the Arthur trilogy. Written from the POV of a soldier in Arthur's army we seem the story unfold from afar as Bernard Cornwell takes the mythological version of Arthur and converts it to a historical novel. While I was hesitant that this would take a lot of the fun out of the novel I was wrong. This is a compelling series of books with great moments of despair, tragedy, friendship, love and heroics.

As an audio book the story is well read by Tim Pigott-Smith who captures the essence of the novels in the accents and pace of his reading.

All in all this is highly recommended
on 4 October 2011
It took along time to get these released on CD by Harper and like many others here my cassettes have been worn out by constant plays, as this trilogy is so good and so well read on audio by Tim Piggott-Smith that you will find yourself coming back to it again and again, read the books 1st as these are abridged and do leave a few small bits out but once read then get this cd set to listen to again and again and enjoy the tale of Derfel Cadarn- Warlord and friend of Arthur. 10/10
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2010
What do you get when you combine the best historical novel series ever written with the best audio book narrator around? Utter transfixing genius that you will listen to time and time again. I heard this before buying the books - it wasn't long before I'd enjoyed the greater depth of the books but I keep coming back to this audio series for car journeys. Brilliant.
on 8 March 2010
This set of 15 cds comes in a stack box. I love the books and saw this as a direct evolution from them and I have not been disappointed. I am only 3rd of the way through but the quality is excellent and the reading is sympathetic to the style of the books.
Get these if you are a fan of audio books or need something for a really long journey as it is such a brilliant story you can't help but love it. If you like the books then you should have bought this already!
on 11 May 2010
This is brilliantly written. Tim Piggot-Smith is equally brilliant as the reader. Superb,a must for all audio fans.
on 28 January 2010
For years now I have nursed my set of tapes along at last the set on CD

Tim Piggot Smith's reading of these great novels is fantastic a really good addition to my audio collection