on 11 March 2009
As far as Feist goes this is extremely fun to read and is written in much the same style as the last 6 books. However it is often simplistic and you get the impression that the author is just trying to churn out the books due to the publisher's demands.

The storyline is good and introduces a whole new range of powerful characters all of who are magic users. This gives a bit of spice to the story which is often lacking in previous books. However, most of the book consists of the main characters discussing what to do and you get the impression that this book is just setting the scene for the next one.

There is a massive shock ending which involves a bit of action, but a lot more could have been good. The story is rapped up very quickly in the last few pages and lacks emotion. But all in all, a very enjoyable read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 November 2010
This is awful, too short (more like a prologue than an actual novel), no real story and certainly no real ending, limited plot, no character development, just don't waste your money on this, the majesty that was Magician is long in the past. Having recently read Steven Erikson's books this does not even rank as an also ran, having once set the standard Feist is now a simple journeyman. Avoid at all costs you have read it all before.
on 24 March 2010
I enjoyed both this and the following novel At the Gates of Darkness (Demonwar Saga 2). We get some interesting new characters, lose some other long term characters and get a precursor to a whole new threat to Midkemia.
I say precursor becuase the books are a little light and read like the author is simply introducing something much more significant. I think (and hope) that this is no more than a gateway to a new series of volumes (hopefully something as meaty as the orginal Riftwar Saga, the Empire Trilogy or the Serpent War Saga) where the plotting is deeper, story more progressive and we really get to explore the characters and move forward the World that all of us fans have come to know and love.
What really disturbs me about his books is the errors that creep in that should be picked up before publishing. I read about 2-3 books a week and don't see the level of errors anywhere else that seem to crop up in REF's work. Sometimes they can really jolt you out of the story, such as getting a chracters name wrong, so you have to go back and re-read earlier paragraphs. This happens several times per book and is just not professional and does effect my enjoyment of his books...Sort it out HarperCollins!
on 23 August 2010
Hrmmm....... Oh how to put this....?

Well I have read all of his other Midkemia books. I finished this one pretty sharpish without much effort. Can I say a very much formulaic Fantasy novel? New characters who you could have got out of a cereal box, plot that is minimal and strangely similar to many other novels, I can describe this offering as "meh!" I probably won't bother with the next one unless I visit a library or see it in a charity shop. I may well be done with this series.

Definately get this from a library or borrow from a mate!
on 7 July 2009
having read most of feist's books,enjoying the early ones (up to buccaneer) the most but the more recent ones, more in hope than expectation. i picked this latest one up as i'm a sucker for continuations of story lines and my curiosity got the better of me, but yet and again i have been let down by what i consider to be nothing more than a marketing ploy. the writing is substandard, disjointed and the plot lines very predicable with very little new approaches to story telling, the new characters tired rehashed spin offs & very much a clone of previous books. i feel now that feist is living off past glories and should really put his pen down and leave it to those authors willing to think outside the cliches he runs through, its almost by numbers with this book... if it was marketed for a teenage audience i could almost make a case for it, almost. but if you are a serious reader beware. it will leave you completely unsatisfied. personally i wont be reading anymore new feist books as this put the final nail in the coffin so to speak. check steven erikson for a proper adult storys told like it should be..
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The latest book in the ever evolving saga of the world of Midkemia and those weve come to know over the years, especially Pug and his family.
This book expands on the 'hidden' theme touched on in previous books, regarding the true menace behind the threat to Midkemia and other worlds, and, while keeping you guessing still, concentrates on the overt menace presented by the relentlessly savage Demon Horde as they pursue a lost & forgotten branch of the Elven race across the stars, as they return 'home'.
It reveals the Demons to be much more intelligent, organised and cunning than previously realised, and adds further details as to the identity and purpose of those used as tools by the 'hidden enemy'.
We see too, the 1st stage of a previous prophecy regarding what Pug himself will have to endure, as the story unfolds towards its climax.
Despite being the latest of a long line of books, Feist still manages to keep the storyline fresh, gripping, exciting and original, and this is a very welcome addition to the series which will definately NOT disappoint.
The only downside is that you cannot put the book down, thereby finishing it quickly, and are then faced with having to wait for the next installment when its published next year.
Roll on the next one !
on 13 May 2010
This book start's of a new story arc in the ongoing adventures of the concave of shadows. It picks up approx 10 years after the end events of Wrath Of A Mad God, but for all extents it reads like a seamless continuation.

This novel is full of intrigue, plot building and alot of character introduction. REF also delves alot into the back story of his novels, particularly the Serpent War Saga. As you would come to expect of REF there are alot of main/fringe characters that roughly revolve around three story arcs that subsequently merge into one.

We have quite a few new characters, most of them magic welders in some shape or form.

Theres no doubt this is the platform novel for kicking of the new story arc, hence there is not many battle scenes but alot of character interaction.

Negatives; There are a few typos on the 1st edition hardback i read, but hardly anything to whine about, i have come across this with other publishers/authors on 1st editions.

Some of the ground does feel like it covered before, i didn't have a problem with this, as most was from novels i read years ago and was good to have a refresh to the back story.

Once again REF delivers, great addictive page turner.
on 9 March 2010
This book marks a new chapter in the Midkemia series. Set ten years after the events in "Wrath of a Mad God", a new danger arises with new characters, tribes and races, with new challenges and hardships.

However, the new characters appear rather colourless though, not at all what one would expect from the author who gave us Arutha and Erik von Darkmoor and Mara of the Acoma to name but a few. In this new book Pug seems tired and slightly washed out, and I definitely miss Nakor!

However, the story picks up from where it left off, with references sprinkled throughout to events and characters from previous books which help tie it all together. Though this new writing is not as gripping as previous installments, the world of Midkemia is still intriguing and there is still much to be explored. The new characters add to the melting pot that is Midkemia and the author manages to pique you enough to draw you deep into his world.

Though, definitely not his best work, this book still manages to keep you enthralled to the very last page.
on 3 December 2010
I was so excited when I saw the release date for this and pre-ordered it. The service was great and received our book. I expected it to be thicker than it was but was really just happy at having another book to read on the adventures of Pug. I tore through it but found that it seemed like I was being dragged quickly from one thing to the next in order to get to the end of the book. It feels rushed, there could have been so much more explanation and entertainment than was provided which is what I would have expected having read all the others.

If you are a fan you will have to read it, but I am torn between the price I paid for what feels like a half-hearted attempt at half a book and although it looks lovely with the rest of the collection, there is a niggle in my mind that I could have just borrowed this from the library and saved a lot of money. This book makes me not look forward to A Kingdom Besieged if it is going to be as thin and written in the same way, even though I know I will have to get it on the day of release.
on 3 October 2012
I loved Magician and some of his other books but this one has convinced me Fiest has lost his way entirely.

First off the book is ridiculously dull, almost nothing happens in it other than wittering on about politics that don't go anywhere and the history of the series. There's a decent bit of action at the end but its rushed in the extreme and not even particularly exciting.

The characters are a bit of a let down too, mainly they are a bit 2D and even their flaws seem a bit tame. Even his stalwart characters are just so boring these days. Good honest dependable powerful Tomas, good honest dependable powerful Pug, etc. They just don't do or say anything interesting, so the book would almost be better if they just sat it out.

Could go on but it'd be as pointless as this book. Having read the reviews of the follow up in this series its fair to say I've lost interest in Feist for good, and my advice to anyone would be read Magician and maybe a couple of his other early books and then stay well clear.