Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 January 2016
Too many characters, places & plotlines - simply didn't have enough patience to read beyond 3rd of the book to find out if any of it joined together.
on 15 May 2006
Definitely not as good as Tigana, Arbonne, Sarantium or Al Rassan. But passable though. And far superior to the trilogy that he wrote all those years ago.

Four things in particular that I didn't like:

(i) The writing style - somehow it didn't glide down the way that I'm used to in a GGK novel. Others have called this "choppiness", which I guess is about right.

(ii) Lack of a map. I'm sure that there were places in the book where A was east of B one minute and west of B the next (A and B being places, not people). I couldn't even tell you whether Wales is supposed to be on the west or east side of Britain in this world.

(iii) I didn't find myself getting emotionally involved at all. compare that to the second Sarantium book where the end left me gutted.

(iv) Worst of all, indistinct characters. Alun and Bern had such similar characters that I was getting the two of them confused. Some distinction was needed between them. May have been a problem with this in the Sarantium books too (but with the women in that case).
on 14 February 2016
Another terrific tale by the author. This book reads like a poem.
on 7 July 2012
I loved the Fionavar Tapestry; A song for Arbonne & Tigana but cannot say the same for this. Perhaps I am not giving it a fair chance as I am giving up on it quite early. This is one of only a very small number of books that I have started but not finished. I have read about 80 pages and am struggling to find a story in it. I also dislike the construction of his sentences many of which I have had to re-read several times to make any real sense of them and some still did not make sense even then (I expect I'm inviting some rude comments back for this). I am now very reluctant to read any more by this author because I can't afford to buy something and give up on it nor, do I have much spare time to waste reading books which I do not enjoy. Overall I am very disappointed with an author who has with other works left me wanting and expecting so much more.
If I had read this to the end and was still of the same opinion I would have given only 1 star but don't feel I can justifiably do so after not completing it.
on 25 October 2012
I have read many of Guy Gavriel Kay's historical fantasies, and they have similarities in that they portray an alternative history on an alternative earth-like planet, with recognisable timelines, and this one has references to his earlier 'Sarantium' location.
''The Last Light of the Sun'' is set in a psuedo Europe populated by warriors similar to Vikings and the Celts of Britain, but with 'new' GODS, and a 'magical' element of fairies and the 'Wild Ride'; but still the same dynastic/tribal struggles and conflicts we might be familiar with.
A good read and inexpensive as a kindle download.
I have met G G Kay ( a Canadian) some years ago in Edinburgh and he has quite a deep voice.
on 7 January 2016
I enjoyed this book
on 25 February 2016
Excellent service
on 24 December 2015
wonderful;
on 3 May 2013
... Unless you like very short sentences, brackets, and sentence fragments as the norm. For me it reads like a set of bullet points or author's notes that still need to be expanded properly. I've lost track of the number of paragraphs that i've reread several times trying to get into the "story". I've plugged away to chapter 11 but have decided it's not getting any better & that now's the time to give up.

From the other reviews some people really love it though. My advice would be to read the first 2 pages in the bookshop and then read a couple more at random in the middle - if you get a good feeling from that then go for it, otherwise I'd leave it on the shelf.

[BTW my husband thinks this review is quite generous!!]