5.0 out of 5 stars A song worth singing, 3 Aug 2011
Steve D (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Song for Arbonne (Paperback)
Reading one of Guy Gavriel Kay's books is always a special event for me. I have to put everything else aside, sit down and lose myself in his world. His wonderfully lyrical writing style always takes me a few pages to get my head around, because it is so different, eloquent and - imo - so superior to other writers in the genre. He paints pictures with words yet not a word is wasted, and every one goes towards building character or atmosphere or a sense of time and place. Another thing I like about GGK is that, although he writes in the fantasy genre, most of his books are stand-alone novels that require no prior knowledge to be enjoyed, even though many of them are set in the same world (but in different regions). This is not high fantasy, or even epic fantasy, though, so be warned. This is historical fantasy, and Kay's evocative writing is perfectly suited to this sub-genre.

A Song for Arbonne is another jewel in his crown, I think. It is his version of Medieval France, starting 23 years before the main text as the heir to the country's throne rides out to meet with her lover, and then jumping ahead to tell of the subsequent feud between her husband and lover, interweaving this with religious intolerance and political struggles between the Arbonnais and the neighbouring Gorhautians. It tells of the troubadour culture, and how they moved freely between the powers, spying and lending their services in many other ways. As always, GGK keeps the action on focused on his characters (who are - again - wonderful) and builds layer upon layer of complexity into their relationships which always has some emotional pay-off in the end. There is romance and intrigue, excitement and humour, and one particular large scale battle which is handled superbly.

Along with the genius of Steven Erikson, Kay is fast becoming my favourite author, and this is just another wonderful novel, which deserves to be ranked alongside his brilliant Tigana, and The Lions of Al-Rassan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 3 July 2011
I have read most of GGK's work and have plans to read the rest. This has been thus far my favourite; beautifully written and very absorbing. I highly recommend this author in general and this book in particular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!!, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: A Song for Arbonne (Paperback)
I haven't finished reading it yet. It's one of those books where you just don't want to come to the end. A brilliant, imaginative tale, with awesome characters. I never thought I would take to a book which had, as its' main theme, troubadors writing and performing songs as a means of making a living. How wrong I was! Since I discovered GGK some six months ago, completely by chance, I have bought seven of his books. My next one to read is The Last Light Of The Sun, awaiting me on my bookcase. A truly great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 14 Sep 2013
This book was recommended in a fantasy forum here on Amazon. I have to confess that I'd never heard of the book or the author before. But I'm glad I did because after a relatively slow start, the book springs into life aided by some very strong characters. The plot develops very nicely (nice touches of politics and general shenanigans) into an exciting, climatic ending. The book is very well written and has a lovely flow to it.

I enjoyed it so much that I will definitely be looking to read more of this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars A soong Foe Arbonne, 10 Sep 2013
I love G.G.K. and this book is no exception. The book opens by introducing several characters and really gets you involved. the twists are unexpected but bring the 'of course' reaction as the clues were there - read it

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - can't read it quickly enough ......, 20 Aug 2013
Thanks to comments on a Forum, I found this author and book by chance after exhausting all other Fantasy authors over the last few years.
This is so well written and absorbing I can't wait to reach the end of the book, thankfully I have it on my kindle or I'd be tempted [mind you only tempted to read the end now].

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 25 Feb 2013
Admittedly it did take a while to get into but after that I could hardly get myself out of it. A truly amazing read and one of the best, if not the best, books I have read for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 12 Dec 2012
David Moore - See all my reviews
One of my favourite books ever, great mix of characters and story with a fantastic sense of place. I have read all Kay's work and this is by far the best and deserves a follow up as there are many more tales to be told from Arbonne.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay, 2 July 2012
P. Isaacs (GB) - See all my reviews
I love GGK as a writer,I've read most of his books,and this one is especially good. I love the way he introduces his characacters, letting the reader get to know their background stories while leading them into the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Song for Arbonne (Paperback)
This is the second book I have read by GGK, after Tigana, and I have to say I enjoyed A Song for Arbonne just as much as Tigana (although in hindsight I was probably being a bit harsh only rating Tigana 4 out of 5 stars). If you like constant fighting and battles this book is probably not for you but for well developed, and sometimes tragic, characters this book is hard to beat.

Once again, highly recommended.

A Song for Arbonne
A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)