4.0 out of 5 stars Mind-expanding
I finished reading this yesterday and I was moved to write a review because the current two hardly do the book justice.

Published 21 months ago by Toby Dammit

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a "normal" book!
Published 18 months ago by Alan the Kaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Mind-expanding, 8 July 2013
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)

To me the book was dazzling, shocking, mind-bending and richly poetic. However, it is important to understand just a little about the cut-up technique that Burroughs used to construct this piece of work. The Soft Machine is a collage of previously written texts, in which sentence and narrative are deliberately fragmented then spliced together so that disparate images, concepts and characters are forced into juxtaposition. The results are startling, humourous and at times, nightmarish. In this method, conventional grammar and syntax fly out the window but a certain kind of poetry emerges, which could not be achieved by other means.

If you are not familiar with Burroughs' work, this might not be the best place to start, instead a novel like Junky might be a better place to begin. The Soft Machine contains all the classic Burroughs motifs: aliens, mutant insects, jaded detectives, dystopian worlds, unsavoury medical procedures and a LOT of graphic sex, most, if not all of it between men.

Without a doubt, this is not a book for everyone. When you bear in mind that W.B. set out, deliberately, at a young age, to "s*** out" what he saw as the mental and social bonds imposed on him by his middle class upbringing, this book, like everything else he wrote, can be seen as part of that process. Some people will find that an interesting concept, others will not. Reading the Soft Machine is a little like watching a screen onto which thousands of images are projected in rapid succession. Many of these images are horrific, repulsive, many are poignant, erotic or simply beautiful. It their glorious collision that makes the book such a rich and visceral experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a "normal" book!, 10 Oct. 2013
Alan the Kaz (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
Not knowing much about William Burroughs other than his history with drugs, I picked up `The Soft Machine' spontaneously, assuming that it would be a "normal" novel, albeit a strange one. To say the least, I certainly wasn't expecting this. One paragraph in, and I'd raised an eyebrow; one page in, and I was starting to wonder if the whole first chapter would be as seemingly nonsensical as what I'd just read. When I found that the second chapter was just as weird, I started to question whether or not it would be worth continuing to read a book that I just didn't understand, but I persevered after reading the Wikipedia article on it and finding out that some kind of sense emerges from it in chapter 7. There was a strange allure to it, after all, as I'd never read anything quite like it before. Written in the so-called "cut-up and fold-in" technique, the book consists of many different seemingly random, mostly graphic, and often horrific, scenes spliced into one another. Paragraphs go off into a tangent, sentences inexplicably merge into one another, and there's a general disregard for character, story or even grammar. I must admit, for most of the book, I found it arduous to read and I often came close to throwing in the towel and chucking it in the bin.

However, by the time I'd reached chapter 7, the only chapter to have a somewhat coherent plot, and which kind of puts the rest of the book into perspective, I'd gotten my head around the incredibly disjointed writing style, and began to appreciate it for what it was. I say "appreciated", but that's purely on an artistic level. By this point, I still didn't actually *like* the book, although some of the scenes were very funny. I also started to realise that this is a book that you have to read in small doses and really concentrate on. The moment I started reading it just to read it, my mind would wander and I'd lose the intricacies of the narrative (if you can call it that). In small doses, however, I could follow most of it (though many of the rambling sentences and paragraphs still lost me completely, and were probably designed to do so), and I started actually enjoying it.

By the end of the book, I had fully gathered the theme (and "theme" is a better word to use than "story" when describing the narrative of this book) and understood that this was all some kind of analogy for being hooked on drugs. But, if any further context is needed, Burroughs includes some rather excellent appendices at the back, which I'm guessing he wrote for the book, and they really add to the appeal and understanding. If read as a cohesive end to the novel itself, rather than a separate entity, these appendices make for a rather satisfactory end to this bizarre and challenging book.

Over all, I'm glad that I decided to persevere with `The Soft Machine', and to take my time doing so. Although I hated much of the book before I got my head around it, I think it's telling that I never once found it pretentious or artistic for the sake of being artistic. William Burroughs is clearly an extremely intelligent and talented writer, and under any lesser author the "cut-up and fold-in" technique would have no doubt been a pretentious nightmare. I can't imagine myself ever recommending this book to anybody, but I did enjoy it and get a lot from it. It's certainly forever changed my ideas of what the novel, as a medium, is capable of.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thrill Bill, 5 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
Love Burroughs. THE SOFT MACHINE is most definitely one of his harder works to consume but it's rewarding in a way that other writers rarely achieve.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 2 July 2014
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
just not my thing, i suppose.
the language is extremely interesting though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent condition., 17 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
Said had signs of wear and tear, hardly a mark on it. I've picked up more worn books from book shop shelves.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure this will be great, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
This has not arrived yet... and has been ages coming, but I'm sure it'll be good when it does :-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unappealing, 4 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Soft Machine (Paperback)
I only read the first chapter before abandoning this book. If you enjoy reading a story of misogynism, masturbation, necrophilia and racism, and if you prefer not to have any emotional connection with any of the characters, and if you like an unstructured rambling narrative that reads like the random jottings of an author in a desperate search for a plot ...... then this might just appeal to you. Good luck.

Soft Machine
Soft Machine by William Burroughs (Paperback - 29 April 2010)