Format: Hardcover|Change

on 5 June 2009
I loved this book when I was small and my three children have enjoyed it just as much. This and all the other Mog stories are firm favourites in our house and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a present for a child. Little ones will enjoy having it read aloud, and bigger ones will be proud to be able to read it themselves. The story is simply and clearly told as well as being very funny and well illustrated. I love Judith Kerr's observation of British life; the way the burglar joins Mr and Mrs Thomas for a cup of tea while the policeman takes notes is very amusing.
on 12 March 2011
Along with many other people, I remember the Mog stories from my childhood. However, since having my own children, I 've learnt to appreciate classic picture books so much more.
Our daughter has fallen in love with Mog - and I think I have too! She's a little over 2 and one of her first words has been 'Mog'. She loves animals but we'll never get a cat as my husband's allergic to them. And so Mog has been adopted into our family.
There are perhaps a few too many words in this story for a 2 year old, but if she's patient, we can read through it in full. We often 'read' the pictures too. We join in with the refrain of 'Bother that cat!' and feel proud along with Mog when she receives her medal - and egg - for bravery at the end.
The family and settings start to become as familiar as our own. And Mog is becoming a well loved member of our (fictionalised) family.
All the other Mog books we've read are wonderful too; there are 17 in all.
I'd also recommend the board books (Mog's Family of Cats, Mog in the Garden, etc) for younger fans. They're much shorter but just as good.

PS If you love Mog, you might - like us - love to read Shirley Hughes' books; another 1970s-80s classic author who evokes a real sense of busy, noisy, family life with engaging, endearing characters.
on 22 June 2011
All the Mog stories are great. The words are at just
the right level. Judith Kerr's pictures are simple and appealing and children can relate to the homely situations. In this book poor old Mog is made again and again to feel she is a nuisance, but it all comes right in the end.
Some people call the Mog tales old-fashioned. Well,they have gentleness and warmth of feeling. They are some of the best of what was produced forty years ago. The appeal is still there because Judith Kerr's stories are classics, beautifully written and drawn. I'm confident that children in another forty years will still be enjoying reading about Mog.
I was given this free sample at an Amazon Baby Event that I attended with no obligation to provide a review.

I remember reading Mog when I was little and so I was over the moon to receive a copy of this book free from the publisher via Amazon at a recent baby event and to get to read this book to my own little ones. Both of my children love the story and love the book and as the board book is thick and perfect for little hands, my daughter loves sitting there looking through the pictures on her own and this is one of her favourite books at present.

The illustrations in this board book are absolutely gorgeous and the story both timeless and lovely. As we have two cats at home I think my children identify with the book that little bit more.

The story tells about Mog and this installment in the series is about Mog being 'forgetful' (there are lots of other Mog titles available too). The book is still as charming and funny as I remember it and basically makes fun about a cats normal way's such as them meowing at the window to get in rather than using the cat flap and running around with big fluffed up tails. This story has a funny twist at the end with Mog becoming a Brave Cat rather than a bothersome cat and my little ones love the book.

A beautiful, timeless, funny story that I still love many years later after having this read to me when I was little and I now get to share this with my own little ones.
on 4 June 2007
My little boy just loves this book. He loves it when we say 'Bother that cat' in a loud voice just like Mr and Mrs Thomas. A great story for our little boy. I've just bought him a whole load of other Mog books as he loves this one so much.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2005
This is a lovely story. The pictures are great, "bother that cat" and the sudden loud meouws are picked up quickly by the young 'uns who love joining in with the tale, and Mog saving the day is wonderfully exciting. I had only experienced this lady's work in The Tiger Who Came To Tea before - a staunch favourite in our house, it has to be said - and was delighted to find such quality and fun repeated in this tale about Mog. Marvellous stuff - read it and enjoy!
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2015
After seeing the christmas advert for Sainsburys I had forgotten all about Mog and how much I loved reading them when I was a kid. So I bought my favourite Mog book. It took me right back and put a smile on my face. The book its self is a lovely small size. (not too small) The hardback feels great and is really good quality. It also comes with a dust cover. The pages are crisp with the most fantastic pictures of Mog. A good wee book what ever your age.
on 26 October 2001
I own a cat who is a circle. She has round eyes, very un-cat like. She is kind and very dim. Had I read the book 'Mog the Forgetful Cat' , before she was mine I would have named her Mog.She is now 14 years old. I discovered the 'Mog' books when she was one. I read them to her, and several children. As a teacher of English I can honestly say that these books are universal. Their value when you look in the eyes of a child listening to these stories is inestimable! I have introduced them to many children and adults over decades and they never fail to produce a magical response.I am very proud to have a cat who lives with me and is 'Mog' in all but name.(her name is Pearl)It's never too late to discover the magic of 'Mog' and I urge you all to do it now. Life is poorer without her.Had I had this cat sooner I would have written these books. Sadly she and I came 30 years too late.
Be aware of wonder - read 'Mog The Forgetful Cat' and all the other titles in this series.
VINE VOICEon 30 November 2008
A fellow parent once gave me some advice; "only read stories to your children that YOU enjoy....." That was great advice to give because children tend to like repetition and I would often be "stuck" on the same book for nights on end.

I love the Mog stories and I must admit, have fallen in love with Mog. This was the first book I purchased in the series and even now the boys are older (10 and 7) they still enjoy my reading it to them.

A classic book which I will keep forever!
VINE VOICEon 9 March 2005
I loved this story as a child and I'm delighted now to see my children enjoying it with exactly the same illustrations. Both children think it is highly amusing when Mog forgets the most simple things and each time Mog does something that's a nuisance (like squashing the flowers in the window-box, or sitting on a hat) they like to shout out 'Bother that cat' with Mr and Mrs Thomas. Basically, in this story Mog foils a burglar through her forgetfulness and gets a medal. My three-year old son is big on cops and robbers and loves the pictures showing the archetypal storybook burglar - stripy jumper, flat cap, torch and a big bag for swag - and is delighted when the police show up. I'm more amused by the burglar sharing a cup of tea with the Thomas family post-arrest. A classic.
& if you enjoy Mog the Forgetful Cat, you might like to try the longer picture book Oakley: The Church Mouse for the same 1970s charm.