5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY COMPLETE book on food!!!
I got a copy as soon as I could because I loved other books by this author, especially Shopped.
Ever since I dipped my nose into it, I haven't been able to put it down. If you only buy one food book ever, this is the one to go for.
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by alexander

1.0 out of 5 stars It might be a good book - but it's unreadable!
Published on 20 Sep 2012 by Maryon Jeane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars It might be a good book - but it's unreadable!, 20 Sep 2012
Maryon Jeane "maryonjeane" (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
WARNING - the good reviews of this book are for the physical book, not the Kindle version. How do I know? Because most of the Kindle version is, quite literally, unreadable. One of the reviewers mentions the "orange writing", and I think this is the source of the problem. This book is completely unsuitable for the Kindle because it hasn't been formatted for the Kindle, the digital version of the book has just been taken and put into basic Kindle format. Not good enough and simply not fit for purpose. Don't waste your money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A REALLY COMPLETE book on food!!!, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate (Hardcover)
This is the book I have been waiting for. It approaches the vexed subject of how to eat well- and thoughtfully- in a wonderfully common sense, yet highly authoritative way.
I particularly liked the introductory '20 principles of eating well'. This reminded me somewhat of Michael Pollan's Food Rules, but is of more practical use because it goes into more detail and is written for a UK audience.
Blythman writes with great knowledge, clarity, passion and not a little humour. She seems to understand very well all the questions that we ask of food these days, especially the problem of balancing our foodie and ethical aspirations with economic realities.
The book is all-embracing in that it looks at food from all angles. It contains an astonishing amount of different types of well-digested information about food- everything from health, animal welfare, to ethical concerns- but it is so accessible and readable, you want to read it, rather than thinking 'That's useful' and leaving it for another day.
A great read and a really important contribution to our food awareness.

5.0 out of 5 stars You really are what you eat!, 21 April 2012
I have bought two previous books by this author. I respect the quality of her research, the easy-to-read prose and her opinions - even where I do not agree with them! She remains one of the few campaigning food journalist, who covers practical as well as 'political'issues. I think we are what we eat - so being reliably better informed is certainly worth the cover price.

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with this book, 23 Aug 2012
Ashton Mason (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Yes we're all tired of being told "eat this", "don't eat that", to the point where we're negative about food and have come to view it as a task, a guilty sin, a risk.

The reason you should read this book is because it's a positive, clear-headed, rational-minded antidote to all the rubbish we've heard about food - from the industry, but also from well-meaning but misguided scaremongers. It's a fundamentally moderate book, and is not preachy or condescending. Given the weight it punches in terms of research and good sense, that in itself is a huge triumph.

Refreshingly, its core message is a positive one: that we should strive to eat basic, honest, simple, traditional foods, and know what we're eating. It's a celebration of all that's good about real food and dismisses myth and fear simply with facts. The book draws our attention to the hidden value, as well as the hidden costs, in the food we by, and in that sense it's a great education and one we should all embrace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended!, 9 April 2012
What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate

This is a highly enjoyable book full of interesting advice and information. The 20 principles of eating, made simple is an inspired but commonsensical guide to buying and eating good food. In it she debunks many of the things we've been brought up to believe about what constitutes good and healthy food. It turns out much of what we have been told by the government food scientists and nutritionalists is wrong. So butter, whole/ full milk, eggs etc., are good for you (as the older generation knew all along). In fact it turns out most natural food are. The call to buying organic, high welfare, local, non processed foods is convincingly argued and one I needed little persuading on.

What good about this book is that it builds on the points made in the introduction about principles of eating to give useful, empowering information on how to buy specific food ingredients and getting the most out of them. I liked the way she covers each type of food and ingredient - background information, what you should look out for when buying, things to do with the product etc. All this is very clearly explained and presented.

I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to be better informed on the food choices they make. For me it was an unputdownable read and it has certainly inspired me to think again about what I buy and eat.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good collection of facts, 10 Dec 2012
Much of the info has been published before, even in newspapers. However, a good reminder. Anything like this book is worth looking at.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating read, 18 Oct 2013
I learned a lot from this book. For those who are interested in how their food is produced and the effect on the environment and on their bodies, it is a must read. Best tip : keeping the rind of parmesan cheese to flavour soup. Most interesting section for me: grains. Highly recommend, although didn't like repetition of what protein etc does to your body in so many sections, but it's easy to skip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth reading and acting upon, 25 Mar 2013
An excellent read - a truly sensible, no-nonsense, relevant-to-everyone approach that dissects the content, origin, treatment and health value of all types of food in your kitchen and is highly likely to make you change at least a few habits. I've since gone as organic as possible (and where affordable) and am unlikely to buy margarine, packaged meat or most cereals from a supermarket any more. Leaped straight out to a farm shop and have switched to organic milk, butter, cheese & bread, Muscovado sugar, sea salt and cold-pressed oils. As well as obvious common sense warnings such as avoiding fizzy drinks, ready meals and refined basics at all costs, key messages are to favour organic, GM free and free range products, buy from the UK wherever possible and recognise that a few extra pence/pounds (depending on how far you choose to take her advice) each week is worth the investment now when you consider the likely cost of poor health in later years as a result of sticking to over-processed, refined, convenience foods soaked in added sugar, salt and water and additives.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Flavour Thesaurus with a conscience..., 28 Mar 2012
This book is squarely aimed at people like me. People who go into their local supermarket, and want to shop responsibly, but perhaps need a little help. Joanna strikes a brilliant balance in What to Eat. This book could easily come across as 'preachy', but it's nothing of the sort. Split into the major food groups and in alphabetical order, What to Eat runs through various foods, covering issues such as seasonality, farming, buying responsibly, plus provides a few brilliant ideas on how to cook (or How to Eat!) them.
Whether you choose to read from cover to cover, or dip in and out, this is an inavluable book. And to top it off, it looks absolutely fantastic inside and out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joanna Blythman is better for you than five a day, 15 Mar 2012
Joanna Blythman's latest book is fantastically well researched but simply presented and as easily digested as your favourite meal. For someone like me who wants the facts without spending ages finding out what's good and bad for our health and purse, Joanna is utterly trustworthy and reliable. It's a lovely looking book and addictive...it's on my kitchen table and friends are distracted from conversation when they flick through her sensible and considered presentation. Food for thought and informed shopping.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate
What to Eat: Food that's good for your health, pocket and plate by Joanna Blythman (Hardcover - 1 Mar 2012)
Used & New from: £0.32