Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2010
This book is an exciting story set in the Second World War in Germany, showing a different side of the war. This novel involves an old woman retelling her life story to a child named Karl. A gripping tale, with brilliant characters, who become refugees with an elephant. The ending is good and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I did. I would say that this book would inspire children aged 9 to 14, although my grandmother enjoyed reading it to me!
on 15 October 2010
This was bought to entertain us (2 adults and an 8 year old) on a long car journey. It was enjoyed by us all. Like many Morpurgo books it confronts some difficult issues, but given that it was set in WWII it was not as hard hitting as I feared it might be. It offers a heart warming story set against the background of the end of WWII in Germany. Beautifully written and read.
on 8 August 2011
There is something about the way Michael Morpurgo writes that makes you want to race through his books while at the same time savouring every word.

I absolutely fell in love with this book. I laughed and cried and I wanted to take care of the whole family. What a brilliant story!
on 24 January 2012
In my ignorance and being an 'older' person, I have decided to read as many Michael Morpurgo books as possible. I was completely blown away by this story and could not put it down until finished. How important to read books that tell a story from other peoples' points of view, the bombing of Dresden was so awful, and hopefully this book would give young people some idea of what went on in the 1940s. I am old enough to remember the war as a very young little girl, so I suppose I could almost 'be in' the story and to a certain extent understand what was happening.
on 9 February 2014
The book is amazing and is about world war two it tells a different side of the story and at points makes you want to cry I was reading this book at school as we are doing about world war two we had to finish it by the weekend but left the book at school so bought it on my kindle
on 9 January 2011
This book is truly beautiful! Michael Morpurgo`s mind blowing book draws me to the screen of my kindle instantly. This book shows you the emotional side to the world war, it shows you the german side to the war. I am not a comitted reader but this book has an exception as i was glued to this poweful book it holds an unusual plot but takes you on a gripping rollercoaster! So sit back and strap in because this book takes you on an incredible journey. Enjoy!
on 3 September 2011
I very much enjoyed this book and in fact I had to buy two copies, because I had already given the first copy to my grandson aged ten, when I realised that a friend of mine aged 16 would also enjoy it and needed a copy, as he had already shared War Horse with me some time ago. Like all Michael Morpurgo's books, it is accessible and well written. It's particularly interesting to get under the skin of a German family caught in Dresden in the final months of the Second World War as the British bombers firebomb this historic city.
on 18 February 2012
This is a fab book for all ages, it is very easy to understand. I am 11 years old and I have enjoyed this book so much I think I could read it again and again. This book has encouraged me to read more Michael Morpurgo books. It is about a woman in a care home that tells a story about how she lived and survived a war. Every chapter has a cliffhanger too. So really what i am trying to say in short words
is ......

GET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Harriet Pybus
on 26 June 2015
Lovely book, this is when it is nice being a Grandma, I have to read the book before my Grandchildren have them to read, so I enjoy being the Guinea Pig on this occasion​. Very well written and a lovely story.
on 19 November 2015
My Daughter absolutely loved this story, albeit a bit harrowing at times. I do like the way that Michael manages to spin a lovely story around a very harrowing time in our history and with social comment that would go beyond most children. The horrors of war are brought into the story and yet they are almost lost as friendship and love take the central position in the story. It has tension, fear, love, smiles and a couple of twists. Great reading