5.0 out of 5 stars never forgotten
Published on 3 Sep 2001 by jacko@theplattfamily.co.uk

1.0 out of 5 stars bad language!
Full of blasphemous language. Unsuitable for anyone of conscience. I am most surprised as it's an old book not a piece of liberal God hating propaganda of the modern age.
Published 18 months ago by Andy Burton

5.0 out of 5 stars never forgotten, 3 Sep 2001
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Hardcover)
having read Harriet the spy as a cheeky 10 year old, i have never forgotten the magical effect it had on me. neither have my friends, one of whom was forced to dress up as a spy with me and observe and document all our neighbours' goings on and another who could hardly wait until the book club came around again in school to order this book that I had raved so much about. At 33 yrs old I am now ordering a hard copy for my 7 week old daughter whom we have aptly named Harriet.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thrilling adventure that is so believable, 21 May 2001
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Hardcover)
I thought this book was brill at first I turned my nose up at it but once I started reading it I couldn't put it down. Harriet is a very funny but cheeky eleven year old child she goes on many adventures spying on people in her neighbourhood and writing bad things about them even her best friends Sport and Janie. Harriet does nothing but write in her notebook until one day she was playing in the park and she dropped her notebook then her friends found it and read it. Harriet was really embarrased and cross because not one good thing did she write about one of them except her maid Ole Golly.This book is full of adventure and it has made me want to read more of Louise Fizhugh's books

5.0 out of 5 stars if u buy this book u will change yr vision of world, 19 Mar 2005
Elena (Russia, Moscow) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Paperback)
Harriet the spy
It is sure to be an interesting book with its own moral aspects. Harriet is girl from rich family living in the heart of New York, most of the time she spends with her governess and 2 school friends. She's got a special game - she plays with people around her, spying for them. She sees shortcomings of people and writes it in her notebook. She believes that it's what can help her to be a famous writer in future. Once she got a chance , she became an editor of school newspaper and decided to publish her sicret notebook. This situation helps Harriet to see the world agein and afresh, to see feelings of people who recently was only objects of spying.
This book has many thoughts of little Harriet about life, why people are so diffrent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 7 Jun 2012
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I found out about this book a couple of years ago, and ever since I've re-read it probably about forty times! It's so witty and intriguing, and the characters are complex, interesting and unique. I would definitely say this is one of my favourite books, and it's one of the only books that is good for all ages. I love Harriet the Spy and would fully recommend you read it. Only wish Louise Fitzurgh was still around so she could write some more...

5.0 out of 5 stars The spies of life!, 13 May 2010
L. Tait (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I was doing a children's literature course for university and this book was one of the recommended further reading texts. The protagonist, Harriet, may initially be perceived to be a pain in the neck because, as the title proclaims, she is a spy and spends her day to day existence invading the privacy of others, albeit surreptitiously, but, as the reader gets to know her, they realise that she's a lonely girl indulging in what she believes to be a little harmless fun, noting down her observations in her trusty notebook, but when the notebook falls into the wrong hands, that's when Harriet's problems really start. Generally, it's a very good story, and an inspiration to spies everywhere, whether amateur, like harriet, or professional. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but a goodie. Harriet is a wonderful character, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I read this book to my kids who are in a spying/detective stage at the moment. They loved the book because they loved Harriet. It's quite a sophisticated story, which we all appreciated. Harriet goes through some emotional challenges which I think are very realistic. A great, flawed heroine. I wish the author had lived longer to write a sequel or two.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 12 Jan 2014
M. Rance (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) (Paperback)
If you don't know it, try it. And try it along with a copy of the early 60s film THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT. They are kin.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad language!, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) (Paperback)

Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics)
Harriet the Spy (Collins Modern Classics) by Louise Fitzhugh (Paperback - 1 Aug 2009)
Used & New from: 7.99