5.0 out of 5 stars Honest & Compelling
Published on 23 Sept. 2010 by Steve Horsfall - Author / Writer

3.0 out of 5 stars Charming read from a charming luvvie
To be honest I've always enjoyed Chris Evans as a TV presenter; his presence on Big Breakfast, Don't Forget your Toothbrush, TFI Friday coincided with my teen years and energy and fun of those shows, and him in particular is infectious. So I was looking forward to learning more about his route to fame and how he helped shape some pioneering formats...
Published 12 months ago by Andrew Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest & Compelling, 23 Sept. 2010
This is a very compelling read as Chris Evans gives a very honest insight into the story behind his rise to fame. Some great childhood anecdotes (I could empathise with the schooldays, being of a similar age) and it was very interesting to hear how Chris was fascinated by the allure of the radio and set about learning his craft (with an unexpected early mentor). In the end power did go to his head and frivolous ideas, such as not turning up for work at Radio 1 after a Xmas party, really did backfire. It is a rise and fall tale but Chris is now back up there and I look forward to the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book is great but NO PHOTOS ON KINDLE VERSION, 6 Oct. 2010
I consider photos to be an essential part of a biography (or autobiography in this case). I was disappointed to find that they were not present in the Kindle version. I have obtained a refund from Amazon and have orderd the traditional book instead.

5 stars for the book, 5 for Amazon's customer services but 0 stars for Harper Collins who somehow think it's OK to issue a sub-standard product.

I came across a section where Chris was talking about his brother and he wrote something along the lines of "And here is a picture of him" and there was no picture. What??? Cheated. May seem petty to some but having recently purchased a Kindle (not cheap) I did not expect to find such shoddy work when the Kindle is perfectly able to display the photos.

Sort yourself out Harper Collins...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent business and self-development book, 31 Dec. 2009
I have long suspected that Chris Evans is a sharper cookie than his public carefree personna appears to be. Detailed accounts of how he personally negotiated one-on-one with Richard Branson confirm this. There is no suspicion of a ghost writer; this has clearly been written by Chris himself.
Some of the Top 10 summaries that introduce each chapter are rather trivial, but many are very revealing and a few represent as good business advice as you'll read anywhere else.
All this is in addition to a refreshing, engaging, clear writing style, amusing and touching throughout.
I bought this hardback half price but it's well worth the full RRP - this one will stay on my bookshelf until I next re-read it.
Only thing I can't quite get is how he pulled so many attractive women!!? charm and money I guess, probably the former rather than the latter.
The title sums up the book beautifully.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, readable, likeable, 21 Oct. 2009
This book was fun to read because I listened to, and always liked (even in some of his more obnoxious moments), Chris Evans throughout many of the events he documents. I finished the book (in just a couple of sessions by the way... its readable as well as a bit short) still feeling fond of him because what comes through is a - doubtless recently discovered - sense of humility and self-awareness which is endearing. Unlike his colleague Jonathan Ross, whose similarly marketed but tedious and disappointing effort came out this time last year, Chris is generous with his revelations and doesn't try too hard to flatter himself. What comes through is a picture of a likeable and talented person whose roller-coaster life, as well as being a hilarious and enjoyable story, has led to an unlikely happy outcome, largely because of his prodigious talent and unsentimental - now at least - self-awareness.

It could have more... it misses out huge chunks of what I remember from his career (cameo appearances only for his Radio 1 team who at the time felt like family to listeners as well as each other), but I guess he was mindful of the need to write to book that (as well as being nice and quick to turn out) isn't just for his groupies and geeks and maybe there are still things he prefers to gloss over.

At the end there's a very sweet collection of letters from various lovers, colleagues, offspring and family mentioned in the book. I think that, along with the top ten lists heading up each chapter, I enjoyed these the most mainly because they included people who I remember from Chris's long period in the headlines and whose relationships with him, I always assumed, ended in acrimony. Their affection comes through, increases mine and makes me think my own fondness for Chris Evans was never mis-placed, however many people couldn't understand it at the time.

Looking forward to the next book, the rest of the story (as told in the tabloids) is at least as much fun

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 8 Oct. 2009
C. Gordon (UK) - See all my reviews
When you think Chris Evans you probably think one of these things; ginger, glasses, big breakfast, don't forget your toothbrush, boozing. But in this book, which he explains isn't done in chapters like usual but is arranged in `top tens', he talks about his life before fame and where he grew up, how he got into radio, his determination and things like that, and all about how he was a normal guy who just took risks and got lucky. It also says at the end that there is another book to come with loads more stuff about Chris, which after this book I am really looking forward to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of 2 halfs - curly wurlies, ELO and the Climb, 2 Jan. 2010
This is genuinely not-put-downable ; that word should clearly exist too. And as most other reviewers have put it suprisingly good. Or is it? Why wouldnt the leading one-man broadcaster of the last 20 years not be able to communicate through the written word too?
What really really comes across is the dedication, effort, energy, drive and shere determination to earn by doing something CE loves. So well done on that.
A lesson to us all. The writing is very very good too - and if your head is similarly alligned not at all disjointed.
Reading auto-biogs and biogs is one of my saddo hobbies. But with utmost sincerity this is the best that I have read in the last 5 years. And I think this will be all the better for being split into at least 2 parts. Why content yourself with 350 pages if you need a 1,000 to get your life down to your satisfaction and as you recall it?>
Managing My Life by you know who is a little like this - although obviously not as funny - but in the same way that Sir Alex doesnt scrimp on the "formative years" neither does Sir Chris.
I was born in 1964 a couple before Mr Evans and the pages and times come alive through some of his lists; and the rest are clearly very very personal, if fractionally contrived in places.
And top 10 things to take into a meeting when you suspect youre going to be shafted would be have been very useful in 2001, and 2007 and....
Anyway HIGHLY recommended. Youll digest it in a sitting. A little under 6 hours for me.
Here's to part 2.
RC

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, 7 Oct. 2009
Can I first say that before reading this I really thought I already knew who Chris Evans was - a bit of a loudmouth w*nker if I'm being completely honest. But my girlfriend is a fan, and she kept mentioning funny bits and laughing at it, and she persuaded me to give it a go too. And I must say I have been pleasantly suprised. Chris comes across totally differently to how you would think, hence why the title is perfect for the book. He actually sounds like a decent, humble guy in this book, the sort of bloke you can imagine having a beer and a chat about cars with. Nice one Chris!

5.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly enjoyable read, 6 Nov. 2009
Mr. Phillip A. Knight "pk" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is written using the same essence of what has made Chris so popular and good at what he does: his enthusiasm and general love of life.
I loved it and couldn't put it down. The anecdotes are great, the style using top 10's is very original and well I can't wait for part 2!
I Cannot recommend this enough - even if you don't know much about Chris, I would suggest you'll get a great understanding of him by the time you've finished this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gift of the gab, gift of a story-teller, 14 Feb. 2011
Captain EO "No. 7" (Cardiff, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Since arriving into most of our consciousness on the Big Breakfast, my thoughts on Chris Evans have varied quite a bit. To begin with, I found him irritating, that was until he hosted the quite wonderful & hugely entertaining "Don't Forget Your Toothbrush". TFI was worth watching but for me it heralded him thinking he'd "made it" & led to the truly horrible years of his Radio 1 & Virgin stints. Fast forward to 2011, and Chris Evans is a joy to listen to on Radio 2.

This book is one of the easiest reads you'll find on your superstore shelves & whether you like the guy or not, his story is extremely interesting & that's even more impressive when there's very little of the book dedicated to the shows that most of us know him for. The Top 10's at the start of each chapter are a joy & the writing in general sounds incredibly genuine as opposed to much of the current crop of supposed stars autobiographies.

Evans has wisely chosen to categorically state that yes, he did indeed become a first class idiot at the "peak" of his popularity however I couldn't help but think that maybe he views this stint as a much shorter period than most of us with an interest in tv & radio. I guess the prrof will be in the pudding of the second book though.

Fair play to Chris Evans, he's a had a great career to date & if his first book is anything to go by, he'll be telling enjoyable stories for a long time to coem yet

4.0 out of 5 stars Chris Evans - Review of it's not what you think, 8 Jan. 2010
Carrie (manchester) - See all my reviews
Just finished the book. I enjoyed it - it was interesting to read about the background to Chris's rise to fame and to find out that there was a lot of hard work involved in being an "overnight success" - alot of Chris's work was unpaid. Chris comes across as very likeable and probably an inspiring person to work for or be around - it made me think about my own life and pushing myself a bit more to see what I could achieve.

I would say that after all that time on the Big Breakfast and TFI it would have been good to have a few more funny anecdotes - there must be loads more he could have included. Chris also doesn't name everyone - he will have his reasons but I would prefer to know who he was talking about! If you enjoyed this you would enjoy Piers Morgan's first book - he is a lot less discreet!

However, I am looking forward to Part Two!

It's Not What You Think
It's Not What You Think by Chris Evans (Audio CD - 1 Oct. 2009)