5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic.
Published on 3 April 2011 by KKS

3.0 out of 5 stars A surprising disappointment
Collins publications are generally known for their clear presentation and excellent content, especially their superb Unabridged English Dictionary. So when I needed to translate some French it seemed like a no-brainer to order the Collins/Robert Unabridged French/English Dictionary especially in view of the rave reviews on Amazon UK.

What a disappointment it...
Published on 6 Jan 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely fantastic., 3 April 2011
This review is from: Collins Robert French Dictionary (Collins Complete and Unabridged) (Hardcover)
Bought this after 'out-growing' my little pocket dictionary after GCSEs, to help with my AS french - and it has been incredibly useful. It gives excellent, clear and comprehensive translations, hints on usage, phrases/idioms that are hard to find elsewhere, HUGE section on verbs/grammar and an amazingly useful reference section on everyday french and even examples of letters of applications, CVs, etc,
It comes with a year's subscription of the online version which is handy.
MUST-HAVE for A level students, absolutely brilliant buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins continues to impress, 17 Oct 2011
Over thirty years after receiving Collins' complete and unabridged French dictionary, it was time to give my daughter a hand with her sixth-form French. The 1978 edition had helped me hugely with many a prose and translation exercise, so I had only the briefest flirtation with the Oxford before plumping for the 2010 Collins.
Layout, use of bold font and, of course, colour have moved dictionary accessibility light years ahead. The word/meaning you're looking for seems to jump out at you from the page, compared to the block of text in the dear old 1978 edition.
How comprehensive and user-friendly the 'Language in use' section has become, with nuances explored in detail and vital columns devoted to email and phone text French.
I know you can get a word, definition and even a translation (ha ha)online for free these days, and I use that method myself when the big book's not handy, but I'll always turn to a 'proper' dictionary as the final arbiter (showing my age!). I love books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins Robert English-French Dictionary, 4 May 2011
An excellent edition - with the most comprehensive coverage, for professionals and translators. The "specialist usage" section in the middle is an added bonus.Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous dictionary, 18 April 2011
I first used the Collins Robert Dictionary when I did A level French some *ahem* 22 years ago, it gave me a noticable advantage over fellow students who were using smaller dictionaries. The dictionary gives examples of the word in various contexts enabling a translation that better expresses the 'feel' of the original text. We are now about to move to France and I thought I should get the most recent version. I have not been disappointed. There is a new section on emails and a handy guide to correspondence, both formal and informal.

A brilliant dictionary for the serious French student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mature Fench speaker speaks up, 17 April 2012
The Collins Robert is the gold standard French dictionary. I t doesn't just translate words, it shows you how to use them in all the popular idioms of both languages. If you're serious about the language you need this great big wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really useful for A Level+ French., 7 Oct 2011
Got this for my A level French, and wow - it has everything! Really useful for translating slang/informal language and pretty much essential for more advanced French learners. Not very portable, but then, no giant dictionary is going to be, so it's definitely more of a reference book to be kept at home rather than carried around!

4.0 out of 5 stars almost complete dictonary, 23 Aug 2011
Bought this book because I couldn't get "Harrap's french dictionary" for 2010 or 2011. This is almost as good. but not of the same calibre. I recommend this none the less for ordinary translational usage. Lacks a little on the more eloquent strings of phrase and for the money represents good value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought it!, 29 Oct 2011
I originally had a pocket french dictionary to take me through my GCSEs, however, I was told that I needed to get a thicker and bigger french dictionary to take me through my A-Levels; hence I bought one of amazon. When I recieved my dictionary, I opened it to find that it was in a great condition - it was new, but there were some pages in it, in which were folded and had not been cut correctly to the size of the dictionary itself. I had to cut the excess off because it would have caused problems when I was looking through it. Nevertheless, the dictionary is easy to use with detailed definitions and the words are in blue to stand out so it is easier to find the word you're looking for. I would definitely say it was a good buy, especially for the price I paid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy-weight help, 16 Oct 2010
Excellent, helpful translations (mostly)and useful tips and extras e.g. verb conjugation. An incredible improvement on my old concise version. Occasionally the English translation is a word not normally used in English, so an alternative suggestion would be helpful.I have doubts as to the durability of the thin paper, but thicker paper would increase the weight and size of an already hefty volume.Very good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 8 Aug 2010
Excellent, can't-do-without dictionary. The other is relegated to the car while this one lives right at hand.

Collins Robert French Dictionary (Collins Complete and Unabridged)
Collins Robert French Dictionary (Collins Complete and Unabridged) by Collins Dictionaries (Hardcover - 29 April 2010)