4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as usual
Published on 24 Oct 2010 by J. Syed

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okey Doke...
Published on 23 Oct 2010 by J. T. Houlston-hope

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okey Doke..., 23 Oct 2010
J. T. Houlston-hope (England) - See all my reviews
... which is to say I'm very much on the fence about Booky Wook 2. I certainly don't think it punches at the weight that Booky Wook (1) managed. Book 1 was a real treat. Absolutely hilarious, searingly honest, well written and warm. The person you glimpsed behind the words had recovered from a terrible part of their life with kindness and decency intact, and you wanted them to be your friend. Sadly I get none of that with Booky Wook 2- it is very much missing the 'warm.' The first time he harped on about how deserved and inevitable his propulsion to the lofty heights of stardom was, I thought, 'good for you, Russell. No false modesty here. You worked for it- you should be proud.' The second time he devoted a flowery paragraph to the same subject I frowned. The third time I grimaced. The twentieth time I was starting to think I didn't like him after all. Yes, he always said he was egotistical, but what actually came across was a man humbled by life and grateful for acknowledgment. It seems hollywood has eaten that away and convinced him he's the best thing ever. This is just my opinion, of course, by it's a shame, innit?
I'm also not fond of the brown-nosing he lavishly applies too all named celebrities. Name dropping I can live with, but waxing lyrical on how they're all so bloody kind, gentle and wonderful just sticks in my throat. Not cool.
Last of the downers is that I don't think its as well written as book 1, either. The more ambitious sections of Book 1 were always hit and miss anyway, but some parts had a certain grace to them. Similar sections in Booky Wook 2 feel a bit too forced for me, and read like a considered exercise in verbose, creative prose- which he's actually not as good at as he thinks.
It's not all bad news though, because the book's saving grace is that it is absolutely hey-larious. I don't like his 'listen to what my friend said' sections, written in script form (in fact not one of those made me laugh) but when he casually throws a joke at a normal paragraph it hits you cross wind and kills you. In my opinion he's at his best when he not trying to be a writer and is just telling you about his life and jibbing around it. The stuff about Saint Francis marching up to someone and declaring he is "well religious" just ruined me. As did his thoughts of voodoo in prison. If you want to laugh out loud like a donkey and annoy all the people around you, this is the book for you.
So what am I complaining about? Well.. I guess I'm just a bit sad that I didn't emerge from this book feeling as warm and fuzzy about Russell Brand as I did before. I still like him and all, but just not quite so much. Maybe with the next book he'll win me back, not that he needs me. Anyway, if you want me, Russell, I'm ready and willing (wink, wink).

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as usual, 24 Oct 2010
J. Syed "akmal hussein" (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
Now that Brand's fame has reached gargantuan proportions, this timely book give the inside story on many of the controversies of the past few years. The "Bring Back Trevor" campaigners will be interested to see why Brand dropped him based on some rather dubious (to say the least) legal allegations. The genesis of the "put down of the decade" against Geldof is fully set out, and most importantly we find out why he and Matt stopped talking, which led to the strange events of late 2008.

I found the last bit about Katy Perry a bit unconvincing as he tries to persuade us he has put his womanising days behind him for this rather plain american girl (let's guess how that one will finish!).

Overall a good read, some funny stories, not quite up to BW1 but, especially for fans of his from the 6 Music days an interesting read. Who knows how his Hollywood adventure will turn out but from Britain's no.1 comedian of 2006-8 this is another entertaining book.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2nd Biography Syndrome, 6 April 2011
My Booky Wook 2 suffers from Biography sequel syndrome (see Peter Kay's Saturday Night Peter) in that the 1st book always intrigues as you get an insight into the star's early life, written with all the expected wit that has made them a star in the first place. Book 2 covers the fame years, when we already know the story and so it is harder to convey from a new angle. I am a big fan of Brand's as for me he is part of the great tradition of naturally gifted British comedians but a lot of the material here was quite often a re-hash of stage material (although it is very funny material). He does open up about the truth behind `SachsGate' (the best part of the book) and reveals a vulnerable side underlying the cocky exterior but it does not flow as well as the 1st book. The story is of course so current and in time it may mature as a book with age.

2.0 out of 5 stars The sequel comes short..., 26 Nov 2010
Unfortunately, Brand's sophomore effort in the literary cum autobiography world is lacking what his debut book offered: original raw funnyness. While Booky Wooky the first kept me glued to the pages and laughing throughout, Booky Wooky 2 was full of stale old jokes I had seen him perform live or uninteresting celebrity stories. The first book, about a young Essex lad, and his trials and tribulations along the way to fame, was full of interesting stories and gambits we would never have otherwise known, whereas half of this book seemed to be about the Andrew Sachs scandal.

The problem really can be attributed to the slim comedian dilemma. In the recent semi-flop 'Funny Men', Jonah Hill's chubby character tells Seth Rogen's mediocre sized character that the reason he is not having success as a stand-up comic is that he has recently lost a lot of weight and in essence, people prefer to see fat losers on stage and laugh at them/with them. At a recent local stand-up gig I attended, a comedian opened with: 'I was bullied at school. How else do you think I started doing this?' Certainly, Russell's initial stories of awkward and sometimes abject failure - like the one where he chucked that prostitute's phone against the wall and then felt really bad - had a more intrinsically funny base for comedy than stories of how he nailed the most desirable woman in the UK.

And furthermore, the first book was all about a promiscuous junkie essentially, not taking life too seriously. This book, however, had almost every sentence (certainly the end of every chapter) punctuated with the fact that Russell was waiting for 'the one'. Sad as it is to say it because of course he deserves his happiness, but a successful monogamous Russell Brand is simply less funny.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing read, 17 Aug 2012
Tim Roast (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal (Paperback)
Booky Wook 2 is the sequel to My Booky Wook hence misses out a lot of Russell's life that the first book would have covered. I haven't read the first book which is a little unfortunate as some of the characters in this book were introduced there so I missed out on their introductions, plus there are other things I wasn't up to speed on.

It didn't matter too much though. This is still an amusing tale of Russell's life, presumably picking up from where the first volume finished.

This book is split into four parts: the first covers his growing fame; the second covers his making steps into Hollywood; the third part is about things going terribly wrong; and the fourth part is about things getting better again.

So probably the best bits are in the third part of the book where things go wrong with the hosting of the MTV VMA awards and he starts to receive death threats which he then ridicules. (This all may be similar to the stand-up routine he was doing during his Scandalous tour, I seem to remember something similar, but it was certainly funny to read too.) There are other moments in the book too where extracts from radio shows or email exchanges have been inserted to fill out the pages but overall it is a decent enough story, with a little bit of Morrissey thrown in as well, along with tales spent with numerous women, including his initial encouters with Katy Perry.

I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Russell Brand: Stephen Fry on E (numbers), 25 Aug 2011
This is a book you more hear than read; this is Russell in your pocket, god forbid. The first, My Booky Wook blew me away with its concocted fusion of philosophy, smut and slap-in-the-face how it isness. This one rabbits in your ear, a bit like your Gran on speed, confessing and drawing you in. Get it. Read it. Read it again. ORANGE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read. Very funny indeed., 6 Jun 2011
S. Brown (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This is, in my opinion, Russell at his best! It's very easy going, I read it on a long haul flight and it passed the time wonderfully. I'd recommend it for a good leisurely read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Namedrops Keep Falling On My Head, 5 April 2011
pablo "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Loved the original Booky Wook.This Number 2 version is merely mildly entertaining.It is very much more of a typical showbiz biography and,while it is rather readable,the whole experience is far less satisfactory.There is so much puff about Russell being mates with Noel Gallagher, Morrissey and Jonathan Ross and Helen Mirren and and and the namedrops just keep on coming...Russell Brand does have an abundance of charm and wit and that does go along way.
However, he should leave more of a gap until embarking upon Booky Wook 3

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 1 Feb 2011
I bought this as a gift and it is great! Great for any Russell Brand fan. I recommend it. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Booky Wook 2, 1 Feb 2011
A. M. Caven "AlexC" (Devon) - See all my reviews
Booky Wook 2: This time it's personalMy Booky Wook

Russell Brand at his best. Very good read if you're a fan or not. I thought the 2nd book would be all romantic gush but it was just as good as the first booky!

Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal
Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal by Russell Brand (Paperback - 18 Aug 2011)
6.29