Published on 13 Jun 2010 by joc66

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as most reviews say
Published on 26 Mar 2011 by R. Sinclair

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Another outling for Harry Silver - still grappling with how to be a good man in the modern world, 13 Jun 2010
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Hardcover)
Having enjoyed Tony Parson's previous novels featuring Harry Silver, I was keen to try this one. Silver is now ten years older and at the outset, life seems pretty good. However, the reappearance of his ex-wife Gina complicates the already complicated relationship with his teenaged son Pat, and he meets Ken Grimwood, an old comrade of his father from the war. Now married to Cyd, and step-dad to a teenage daughter and a dad seven year old, Silver is a character who wears his heart on his sleeve as he struggles to come to terms with his life as a forty-something in 20th century Britain. In this book, he comes to realise that the "golden age" of his father's generation wasn't perhaps as great as all that although the nostalgia for past certainties is still there. Parsons writes in a simplistic style (some have found his style irritating but I quite like it) about men's emotions - too often books like this see things from a female point of view - and it works well for the most part. Occasionally though like Cyd, you do feel like saying to him "Don't say anything smart Harry". If you haven't read "Man and Boy" and "Man and Wife" I would recommend that you start with these. Although this third book in the series inevitably retreads some of the same ground, it is worth reading. Recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as most reviews say, 26 Mar 2011
R. Sinclair (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Paperback)
I really enjoy books written by Tony Parsons, I've read pretty much all of them. His style of writing is simple but very enjoyable so I was really looking forward to reading this (especially as it says it's his best one yet) I have to say I'm a little disappointed with this. You feel for everybody in this book (including Harry) but sorry I couldn't get into the Ken Grimwood side story. He is a totally pointless and unlikable person and was featured far too much. I couldn't care less about Ken and I don't really get why Harry would care for him? I'd still say read it because generally I did enjoy it but I just think it could have been better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Paperback)
Towards the end of this book, the main character, Harry, says that TV production used to be his passion and labour of love, but it was now just a job "like my father used to do" I'm afraid I think the same could be said of Tony Parson's writing.

Tony Parsons had a story to tell with "Man and Boy" and while no literary giant, he could string a sentence together and touched the hearts of many, myself included. His first book was a warm, affectionate, and well observed story of the love between father and son, however the second and especially this, the third in the trilogy, feel like they have come off a rather poor production line.

The characters here are unbelievable and two dimensional, just compare the touching treatment of his son Pat in the first book, with the way Joni his daughter is dealt with in the third. The main character Harry, has now transformed from a flawed but loveable father we identify with, into an unrealistic, selfish and irresponsible fool.

It's the totally unbelievable plot however that makes this book so annoying. We are expected to believe that within a week of Harry meeting a disagreeable old man they are virtually living together, and then 15 year old Pat decides to stand vigil by the old mans hospital bed for two weeks. Just to cap it off, the old man then gives Pat a priceless VC medal while his own son, who is taking him to Australia, stands by and watches!

Sometimes it's small details which annoy the most, and that's the case here. Harry is keen on military history and has read all the books on the Italian campaign, which is understandable given his father's involvement. It is strange then, that he is not aware of this old mans VC winning performance at Monte Cassino, it's even more surprising it's not mentioned in the detailed history of the battle that we are told Harry is reading, and finally it's beyond belief that Harry only decides to google the old man's VC story after he has left for Australia!

They say everyone has a book in them, and while Mr Parsons clearly has more than that, he's probably only got one decent one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't disappoint, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Kindle Edition)
Reliably great read. I've read all of Tony Parsons's other books, an this is every bit as good as the others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much., 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Kindle Edition)
I have read all Tony Parsons' books so far and have truly adored his characters coming to life. The trouble is with this book that, as sometimes happens with his books, although there are some great lessons to be learnt, too much happens, and there is too much turmoil for all the characters and their marriages. The more drama the more the message is lost.

2.0 out of 5 stars Contrived and disappointing - easy to put down, 21 Aug 2011
Jonathan Overton (Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Paperback)
What a shame. This could have been an amazing read - coming as it did after the previous two books that had a huge impact on my own life.

If you have high hopes then prepare them accordingly

Tony, why not have another go at finishing this story better? It would be a novel idea to have another go.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointed, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Hardcover)
I didn't think Men from the Boys was as good as the other two in the series or Parson's other two books (My favourite wife and the Family Way). The atmosphere is a bit glum and I don't think a father could ever be so forgiving towards a pot-smoking, school-skipping son in the real life.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy, 6 July 2010
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Hardcover)
Yet again I was not disappointed with Tony Parsons.
A fantasic insight into a relationship between men and the impact of modern life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Kindle Edition)
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Wish he would write more of this series. Love his characterisation and humour. He always makes me smile. He tackles serious subjects with humour.

4.0 out of 5 stars SERIES OF LINKED STORIES, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Men from the Boys (Kindle Edition)
Slow starting then took off. Series of intertwined stories. Almost gaVE up at 60%.BUT SO GLAD I CARRIED ON an excellent read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Men from the Boys
Men from the Boys by Tony Parsons (Paperback - 20 Jan 2011)
5.63