5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye Harry Potter, Hello Mr Pleasant.
I borrowed the first Skulduggery book a few years back, when i was on my fishing trip to Ireland. (My family have this house in Donegal, which has been passed down the family). When i started reading it of course, i realised that it was actually SET in Ireland, how friggin' awesome.

...So there i was in Ireland, reading Skulduggery Pleasant, as you do. And i...
Published on 11 Sep 2011 by Britishwotsit

3.0 out of 5 stars Present
Bought, on request, as a present. I have had no complaints. Can't comment beyond that as I have never read it.
Published 5 months ago by mmmppph

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye Harry Potter, Hello Mr Pleasant., 11 Sep 2011
Britishwotsit (ENGLAND, SUSSEX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)

...So there i was in Ireland, reading Skulduggery Pleasant, as you do. And i thought it was pretty snazzy.

Then i read "playing with fire". Meh.
"Faceless ones" Kinda good.
"Dark Days" amazing.
"Mortal Coil" Wow.

And then i saw Death Bringer. I'd almost forgot about Skulduggery, but i nabbed the book off the shelf at TESCO'S ASAP. And my god, this series has FINALLY, officially, completely won me over.

Everything about it, the characters, dialogue, story, is brilliant, beyond comparison. I haven't been able to relate to the previous books as well, i think this is because it took this book for me to finally tune into the right wave length. Next time i read the previous books, ill probably love them more.

This book has so many awesome quotes that i'll never forget.

The romance is hilarious. Constantly laughing in Bella and Edwards face. Taking the Mick out of Paranormal romances, iv'e never smiled so much whilst reading. Here's a couple of epic quotes:

Valkyrie to Caelan - "were not Buffy and Angel, or Romeo and Juliet, or those two from west side story. Were not even Edward and Bella, OK? You're far too freaky for me."

Fletcher to Caelan - "Just listening to you makes me want to top myself, you self-pitying paranormal romance reject"

AAAH GAAD EPICNESS.

If i am ever in a fight with someone, right before i punch them, i will make sure i say "the Sparrow flies south for winter"
Read the book, then you will understand.

I mean it though. Read it.
Now.
Read the others before though, or you won't have a clue what you're reading.

This is almost the first series to come along that i can say has NEARLY replaced that little gaping hole that the end of the Harry Potter books left. Bring on more Derek Landy, you genious.
5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another dark and dangerous adventure, 30 Nov 2011
Several months have passed since the events in MORTAL COIL. Valkyrie's dating both the vampire Caelan and teleporter Fletcher and remains frightened of her potential to unleash Darquesse. When the Necromancers announce that they have already found their Death Bringer and it's the snotty Melancholia St Clair, she thinks that things might turn out okay afterall. Then she discovers that the Death Bringer will kill everyone in the world. Now she and Skulduggery have 7 days to work out whether and how Melancholia has become the Death Bringer and stop her from destroying the world.

The 6th in Derek Landy's bestselling dark fantasy series is another dark and dangerous story filled with action, tragedy and adventure.

Valkyrie has become a stranger in her normal life, relying more and more on her reflection who increasingly seems to have her own agenda. The scenes between Valkyrie and her baby sister are touching precisely because they force her to confront what she's lost by embracing the magical world. Her two timing of the sweet Fletcher reflects this and I enjoyed how Landy uses her relationship with the stalkerish Caelan to satirise teen paranormal romance.

The investigation of the Death Bringer slightly meandered for me and while there's a lot of action, at times I found the fight scenes to be repetitive. There is a nice insight into the Necromancers and their agenda and the scheming Solomon Wreath is always interesting - notably his battles with Cleric Craven - and China Sorrows finds her past rapidly catching up with her when Eliza Scorn, an old friend from her Diablerie days turns up with some incriminating information and a desire to regain past glories. Landy also introduces a new sub-plot via new character Kenny Dunne, a reporter who's alerted to the world of magic and who begins to take a close personal interest in Valkyrie.

My big issue with the story though was with the twist towards the end, which was too much of a stretch for me when you consider the previous books in the series, although I'm hopeful that it will pay off in the next book.

Landy retains his wicked sense of humour, and I was particularly pleased that he brought his useless zombie duo back as they provide some much-needed light relief from all the darkness. The cliff hanger ending will ensure that I buy the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant..... but beware with younger children., 7 Oct 2011
S. Knight (York UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)
I've loved the skullduggery pleasant books since the first one came out and the most recent addition was no exception.

Even after 5 other books the plot twists still surprise me and there is a perfect balance of action, humour, horror and the supernatural. As with Harry Potter I find that much of the appeal comes from the idea of a world of magic which exists parallel to our own without our knowledge. The treatment of the supernatural is much darker than in many of the other fantasy books which are aimed at the same age group. In my opinion this is what allows the stories to work so well and Landy manages to avoid giving the books a dark feel with the injection of dry humour in the characters observations and expressions which make the world feel far less threatening that it would otherwise be.

As always I am often surprised that these books are often marketed for 8-12 year olds. There are often some very gruesome scenes included which could be too much for a sensitive child in this age group. That being said I have known several 8/9 year old boys who love this series so its suitability would very much depend on the child. But it's worth considering carefully before buying this title for a child in this particular age group. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the title to anyone older particularly anyone who is seeking a new read now that the Harry Potter series has come to an end.

5.0 out of 5 stars more stars if i could, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)
WOW. what has derek landy produced a load of dedicated skulduggery minions. one of which i was skeptical to become. my cousin told me about the books so asked for the first 5 for christams loved all of them but thats not why were here.

death bringer shows us all the characters we loved in a diffrant way yes there is part which shows a evil side to skullduggery. the 2d characters become more 3d as we learn a lot more about china who in this book we see her actuly become scared of some of her deepest darkest secrets coming to light, which do in the end. theres an epic battle just before the end with two big characters. All the way through the book i was gripped into reading more and more, i laughed, i sympothised, i also hated certain charcters.

this is a must read for every single person in the world its that good just read the first 5 before this.

just a little spoiler skullduggery is actuly ......

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Oct 2011
This book is my definition of OMG. Filled with humor, fights, and powerful necromancers fighting. Here are a few funny quotes:
"My name is Detective Inspector Me."
"I don't think she killed him. She's too... old." "Old people can kill people too." "Yeah, but..." "She could be a ninja." "She's not a ninja, for god's sake, she's somebody's great-grandmother." "I want you to think very carefully about this. Have you ever seen her with a sword?" "What???" "How about throwing stars?" "This is crazy." "Have you ever even seen her dressed up as a ninja? That would have been my first clue."
And all that was from chapter 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soooooooo amazing!, 25 Sep 2011
I'm a huge fan of Derek Landy and anything he writes and this was no exception for me. In fact, I've been so in love with this book I decided to re-read the rest of the series too and I enjoyed doing so immensely.
For those who are unaware of the legend that is Skulduggery Pleasant then don't read any further, it will spoil the previous 5 books and we don't want that. For everyone else, read on for synopsis of Death Bringer (as seen on Goodreads):

Think you've seen anything yet? You haven't. Because the Death Bringer is about to rise...The Necromancers no longer need Valkyrie to be their Death Bringer, and that's a Good Thing.There's just one catch. There's a reason the Necromancers don't need her any more. And that's because they've found their Death Bringer already, the person who will dissolve the doors between life and death.And that's a very, very Bad Thing

Indeed it is a very bad thing, as I quickly discovered while reading this book! Death Bringer is following the trend in this series in the sense each book seems to get slightly darker, but this is in no way a bad thing and it certainly doesn't detract from the humour, as I was doubled up laughing on so many occasions I lost count.
One thing that always amazes me with this series is Landy's ability to put Valkyrie and Skulduggery in the most terrifying situations and still have them make a joke of it. It's just stupidly hilarious. I love it.

On a more serious note the threat increases, especially with Valkyrie still facing the fact she may turn into the terrifying sorcerer that is Darquesse and without spoiling things I will say that we learn a lot more about said evil sorcerer in this book and how she comes into being.
On a personal note, as much as I love Valkyrie, her slightly selfish streak comes out as her love life becomes slightly tangled and by the end of the book I had the urge to hit Caelan the vampire over the head with a vampire romance novel, (since he seemed to be spouting a lot of prose from one) even if some of it had me laughing.

With regards to Skulduggery himself, there was such a big 'wow I didn't see that coming' moment that I was left stunned for a little while and had to re-read the page I'd been reading. The effect it has on his relationship with Valkyrie is pretty intense, though I will say personally I think it makes them stronger in the end.
Taking both the big revelation about skulduggery and Valkyries supposed 'destiny' there is one amazing battle towards the end of the book that is truly breath taking and it isn't what you think it will be either.

Skulduggery's secrets aren't the only ones being spilt either as a lot more is revealed about China Sorrows, and some other characters that have been alluded to before make an appearance throughout the novel.
Even with all the revelations, fights and the 'passage' being brought into being there's laughs a plenty, a cute gurgling baby called Alice, a love-struck vampire and annoying brat named Melancholia St Claire (whom I hate) and lets not forget Lord Vile.

Anyway, it may be a good idea for me to wrap this review up before I accidentally post spoilers. But wow, this book is amazing. Just read it. READ IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best so far!!, 25 Sep 2011
H. Reed "Celticreeder" (Eagle River, AK USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)
I preordered this as soon as I could and it arrived within days of shipping! This is the sixth of the nine book series and it's the best of them so far! It's filled with action and suspense and a touch of romance. Characters die and you learn things that will blow your mind! I don't want to reveal too much but there's a event that happens that you don't see coming (at least I didn't) and it was great! My only complaint is that sometimes characters died or did something that didn't flow too well with the story. I will say that for all the Tanith fans, prepare for a let down. She does not appear in this book. But I can't wait for the paperback version with a new short story coming out in March of 2012 (preordered already!!) and I can't wait for the next book in the series. I laugh every time I read this series and it just keeps getting better every time!!

5.0 out of 5 stars EPIC, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)
602 pages of pure awesomeness!!!!!!! OK, let me calm down and breath....

..... OK, I'm calm. Well, reasonably. :D Skulduggery Pleasant is back and suddenly I can't stop smiling, Derek Landy's wit is fabulous, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments where I was giggling like a complete lunactic - but as one of my favourite quotes from the book says "Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed." (Page 393)
There are some shocking revelations in this book, some I sort of saw coming others I was astounded by. I love that previously smaller 2D characters are starting to come to life and become more 3D especially Fergus.
I did miss Tanith in this book, it's not quite the same without her, but the story is so action packed and exciting it doesn't linger or cause any problems.
I felt my heart go out to Fletcher and China in this book, I could see where they were coming from and could see their side of the story. Valkyrie is her usual a* kicking self and I love how she is growing up.
This book is literally one of the best I have read this year, this series just keeps wooping b**t.
I cannot wait to meet Derek Landy on Friday, he may be shocked by the excited squeals. I will try not to act like a psycho fan girl.
A must read. If you haven't read the rest of the series, I suggest you go out, get a copy of all 6 of the books and then come back and lock yourself in your room. You will laugh, cry, squeal, gasp, scream, giggle and everything else you can think off. You will come out, only able to say one word - WOW!
They are really easy reads, the writing flows at a great pace and the story pulls you in, mixed with the wit and action you fly through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant Book, 14 Sep 2011
Adz "Adam" (England ,Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) (Hardcover)
This is another brilliant book by Derek Landy.
Prepare for battles, chases, Necromancers and Dark Secrets.
If you love the others you'll love this too
Adam

5.0 out of 5 stars Skulduggery Pleasant, 17 Jun 2014
Amazing series of books. Whether it be Good or Evil. Elemental or Necromancy. You will love this series of books.

Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6)
Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant - book 6) by Derek Landy (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2011)
Used & New from: 0.01