4.0 out of 5 stars He hasn't gone off the Boyle!
Published on 31 Jan. 2012 by Skyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing in parts but slightly disappointed.
I asked for this item for Christmas, thinking that it'd be a riproaring comedy from start to finish. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

Published on 31 Dec. 2009 by Mr. M. W. Lawson

4.0 out of 5 stars He hasn't gone off the Boyle!, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Paperback)
The first thing to be pointed out is that this is not really an autobiography. He does mention things about his early life - and he mentions the drug taking......regularly - but not in any depth, and certainly not to the extent that would qualify this book as being classified as a true autobiography. But to be honest, he's too young to write one; he hasn't been around long enough; and, as he alludes to in the book, do we really care about his childhood or what subjects he took at school? Not really; at this stage you read a Frankie Boyle book to have a laugh and to get a dose of the wit that made him essential viewing on Mock the Week.......and any other shows he appeared on.
I have to say that I actually agree with the people who only gave the book one star - I don't agree with the rating but I agree with some of the comments. Yes, the book does appear rushed; yes, it is not a true autobiography; yes, certain parts of the book are padded out with old material he wrote with other people which did not get published and which was not all that funny - a lot of it is unrecognisable as Frankie Boyle material. However, as a Frankie Boyle fan I have to say that the book is pretty much what I expected. I wasn't expecting to be hit by a philosophical treatise and I wasn't expecting a perfectly written book. But I was expecting to laugh - and he achieved this. It kept me amused and there were a few occasions of uncontrollable laughter being elicited. So if your'e a Frankie Boyle fan I think you will enjoy the book. It isn't the best and he could have done better, but you will be entertained.

3.0 out of 5 stars Amusing in parts but slightly disappointed., 31 Dec. 2009
Mr. M. W. Lawson (Doncaster, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)

To say it's an autobiography, we learn very little of Frankie's life growing up in Scotland. He seems to lurch suddenly from being a child to his first comedy gigs in his early 20s with very little about his school days etc.

It's crude, but we can expect that, and the crudeness provide the most laughs.

To me, it also felt very short. I have finished it after just 2-3 hours of reading. Compared to other comedian's more substantial autobiographies such as Peter Kays, it left me feeling a bit of short changed.

Still definitely worth a read, but only if you're interested in which drugs he took! For me - we needed more excerpts from his shows to keep the comedy coming. There just weren't enough laughs, but then - who says it had to be funny?

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one for Frankie fans, 18 July 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)
I adore Frankie Boyle. I've seen him live on his recent tour and I was a big fan of his on Mock the Week, so for me this autobiography was a must. It's every bit as offensive as I expected- a truly cracking read. I was laughing just reading the summary on the back cover- and was looking forward to reading a lot more about the man himself.

First of all, as a few other reviewers have said, this book isn't particularly chronological or linear when it comes to dates. Frankie does have a bit of a habit of going off at a tangent, but I actually quite liked that. It made for a more interesting read, particularly as the text was peppered with insults and opinions of people he encounters or knows through showbiz. Learning about his childhood was amusing as was his slog to become the comedian he is today. It's written in such a way as you can actually imagine him speaking directly at you, which I enjoyed- definitely no ghost writers there.

What didn't I like so much? Well, I would have liked to have learned a bit more about his relationship with his children as that was somewhat glossed over, but can understand his need to want to keep certain aspects of his life a bit private, particularly as his kids are still young. Also, the 'Mock the Week' section, which I'd hoped would be a bit longer was somewhat rushed in towards the end of the book.

Nevertheless, if you're a fan of Frankie's you will love this. Read it, laugh yourself silly and then pass it on to another fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop laughing!, 1 Oct. 2009
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)
This is the funniest autobiography i've ever read. Bored of the same old, run of the mill celebrity drivel, i was hoping Frankie would deliver something different - which he has. Hilarious, rude and offensive, Frankie tells it like it is (even though we might not dare to say it). I bought this book this morning and read it in one sitting it's that entertaining. Just a word of advice - don't read it while eating or drinking. I exploded with laughter, covering my partner in a fine spray of beer. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb stuff, 3 Oct. 2009
Steven Brown (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Hardcover)
I read 2 pages of the introduction when I saw it in a bookshop, and was laughing so much that I bought it there and then.

If you're a fan of his stand-up or Mock the Week, you'll definitely enjoy this - it's written in exactly the same style - crude, cutting, and very very funny.

In summary, a hilarious alternative to standard, boring celebrity biographies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest thing I have read in ages!, 1 Jan. 2012
Mr. George Johnson "Gj" (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
While I find Frankie Boyle to be a very funny man I simply thought he was doing it to shock. After reading his autobiography I now realise it's his way of coping with the utterly stupid things in his life. He comes across as a very intelligent person and I can imagine a lot of people have misunderstood him. Just spending a few minutes on the first few chapters I was in tears of laughter at his off the cuff comments about various thoughts and his dealings with various "nutters" he has had to put up with.

If you enjoy Frankie Boyle's work, buy this book you will really enjoy it and I guarantee you will discover a new side to the man and come away with a new found respect for him. He is still a mouthy Scots git but the world would be slightly more boring without him!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the rest, but not the best., 16 Aug. 2010
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Paperback)
I'm not entirely sure what all of the negative reviews are getting at, clearly they bought this book thinking it would be nothing but Mock the Week content. It isn't. This book does make you laugh out loud on many occasions, however, this is a book about Frankie Boyle's life - so don't expect it to be full of sunshine and roses. The problem probably is that people think that Frankie on screen is different to Frankie off screen. From what I've seen and read they're the same person, not some sort of angry, Scottish 'character'. So if all you're looking for is lots of jokes then don't buy this. If instead you'd like to read about Frankie Boyle's life with some hilarious jokes chucked in the mix, then go ahead and buy this. Beware, this isn't for the faint hearted.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real deal, 26 Sept. 2011
I can't say I'm Frankies biggest fan but I do enjoy quite a bit of his stuff. Some of his gags are pure genius while other leave me cold. However in a world where so much of our humour is watered down for fear of being offensive its great to have comedians who still push the boundaries and step over the line now and again. His writing is raw and honest, he appears to tell it as it is and has no concerns about how it affects his image. Where other celeb bios are pure fiction this feels like the real deal.

The only fault I have with the book is that some of the rehashed comedy scripts felt a little like padding

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, sordid, refreshing and very disturbing!, 29 Jun. 2010
This review is from: My Shit Life So Far (Paperback)
If you don't know who Frankie Boyle is, you might find the title of this autobiography offensive. If you do know who he is, then you will realise that the title is likely to be one of the milder profanities you might encounter within the covers - and you'd be absolutely right! Frankie is a Glaswegian comedian renowned for pushing the limits of the acceptable until they fall over the edge into the nether-regions below, a place where many fear to go and find jaw-droppingly shocking.

However, being different from the usual crop of current comedians does set him aside, and often above them for ingenuity and putting a genuinely funny and unexpected slant on people, situations and sometimes bizarre extrapolations. He appears to inhabit a personal vacuum that isolates him from the taboos and expectations of society at large, but there is often stark truth in his pronouncements. Sometimes, however sacred the topic, speaking your mind and making fun of the often artificial niceties and conventions works well.

I was surprised (though in retrospect, perhaps not) to read of the heavy reliance on drugs that seems to permeate the book and his work - and his leisure time too, although how much is to be believed is probably simply another part of Frankie's joke persona. I found this to be an immensely enjoyable read, extremely funny at times, and a constant desire to see what might shock me next.

If you are easily offended, then step away from the book now...!

2.0 out of 5 stars Frankie Boyle can provide very witty and very funny stand up comedy but he can also be offensive, 26 April 2015
My S*** Life So Far is meant to be a comedic observational autobiography by comedian and topical panelist Frankie Boyle. Francis Martin Patrick Boyle, known as Frankie Boyle, is a Scottish comedian and writer, well known for his pessimistic and often controversial sense of humour. He was born on 16 August 1972 in Glasgow, Scotland to Irish parents. Boyle attended Holyrood Secondary School in Glasgow. After leaving school he attended Aston University to read Urban Planning but he left after a year. He then moved to Sussex University to start a BA in English Literature. His first job was working in a Mental Health Hospital but got his big comedy break after performing at The Stand Up Comedy Club in Edinburgh, a venue that has also helped launch the careers of Johnny Vegas, Dara O Briain and Michael McIntyre. Frankie Boyle can provide very witty and very funny stand up comedy but he can also be offensive, so he is rarely on TV now. Boyle currently lives in Glasgow with his partner, Shereen Taylor, and has two children. When I saw his auto-biography My S*** Life So Far in the local library, I thought I would read it and try to find out what made Frankie Boyle tick.

The first section of Boyle’s autobiography concerns growing up poor in Scotland during the 80s. Is the best part of the book for me. The author’s view of his childhood and teenage years is both honest and insightful. He is not trying to impress or be overly funny, he is being disarmingly reflective. The bits and pieces about his life, alcohol and drug experiences and the occasional story were interesting but shallow. Some additional detail would have made a huge difference and made the book more interesting. There are more jokes than biography, but that is Boyle playing to his strengths. His private life is, largely, kept to himself and he focuses on what has defined his comedy. There are some touching moments and even interesting political ideas mixed in with the trademark Boyle humour.

The second part of the book is Sex and Drugs and Comedy. I did not find any of it all that insightful, nor was it funny, especially when he was presenting skits that he and a friend had written while stoned. Parts of this book were funny; some of it was offensive, most of it, however, was just disappointingly dull. I cannot recommend My S*** Life So Far but I have reviewed several other biographies and auto-biographies including: As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me https://bookreviewstoday.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/as-far-as-my-f…-james-m-bauer/,

My Shit Life So Far
My Shit Life So Far by Frankie Boyle (Paperback - 1 Oct. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01