5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Fans Of The Genre
Such a well-written book, I read it in two sittings without even realising how quickly the pages were turning.

Dave Mustaine presents his take on his life and the events of a turbulent music career. The early days with Metallica are covered, but this time from Mustaine's mouth.

He's been driven for nearly two decades by wanting to beat Metallica,...
Published on 16 Sep 2010 by T. Owen

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking in detail and gives his music scant attention
There are way too many pictures in this book. Really, there are only so many times you need to see a photograph of Dave Mustaine holding a guitar. One would do the job. Perhaps two. One to show what he looked like at the start. Then another one to show what he looks like at the end. I can't escape the feeling the book is pitched at people who the publishers don't...
Published 22 months ago by BS on parade

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing insight into Daves Life, 3 May 2012
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
I first stumbled on the band Megadeth through a friends copy of a Kerrang video. The track... Peace Sells... and thus began my love affair with the sound.

So, in looking to fill my bookshelves with biographies of my choice, I came across this and what a read. Couldn't put the book down. A definite must for rock fans everywhere.

All hail, Lord David of the Mustaine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting... but hoped for little more insight, 16 Feb 2012
This was a book that I knew I would buy and had to read. Having been a fan of both Metallica and Megadeth since the 80s and having grown up with the feud and animosity between, not only the bands, but the fans of the bands, I was hooked as soon as I saw this.

The book itself is a good insight into Mustaine's life, from the early beginnings, to his version of the firing from Metallica, and onwards, and there are some nice back stories to song inspirations, lyrical inspiration and the behind the scenes look at the workings of the band. I did feel sorry for the guy at the way things were handled at various times, and it does give an interesting look at the 'do no wrong' image of Metallica, but I hoped for something a little more in depth from this - some of the time periods and subjects were glossed over - his repeated trips to rehab, the falling off the wagon time and time again, are dealt with in a couple of sentences. There must be more that drives someone to drugs and drink surely, other than a 'it was there and I was bored' mentality which he seems to profess.

Having said all of this, I finished the book in a weekend and found that it was addictive reading. At the end of the story, I felt a little more sympathy and understanding towards the man, (I always liked his music, I just wasn't sure about him) and it re-kindled my interest in the band enough to go get the new album!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first biography, now I may be addicted to it!, 26 Dec 2011
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
Amazing book, about addiction, but caution, I got addicted to it and read it in a couple of days!
Be aware I am a metal fan, so that helps...the only downside is that I expected more on the history behind the songs and lyrics...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 30 Oct 2011
This book is an essential for any Megadeth fan, whether your of the "die-hard" type or just if you love their music. Mainly though if you are a young aspiring guitarist (like me), who wants an insight into the early days of a very successful musician's life and how not everything was easy as some people seem to think, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read- recommended, 21 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
I was quite unsure what to expect from this book - to be honest 'Angry' Dave was the suspected undertone, but it is quite an honest and interesting read. I had always quite liked Dave Mustaine - I think his music is fantastic - but this book has elevated my opinion of him that bit more. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, witty and clever, 20 Sep 2011
S. Whitelock "simonwhitelock" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
This is a book that is clever, extremely witty (laughing aloud a lot on this one), and very well written. I really recommend this book regardless of whether you're familiar with the music of Megadeth or just a metal fan in general. David Mustaine opens his heart on a lot of things and has a refreshing down to earth approach. With one section in particular I had a tear that I didn't realise until it was running down my cheek. An emotional and entertaining book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read., 21 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
The book is so well-written, I couldn't put it down from beginning to end. Mustaine's life is an interesting one indeed, and he talks about it in a mature, complete and very humble way, kind of the opposite one would expect. Top class autobiography.

5.0 out of 5 stars exhilarating stuff!, 9 Aug 2011
This review is from: Mustaine: A Life in Metal (Paperback)
If you are a fan of Megadeth, thrash metal, metal or in fact even if you are not, this book is absoultely stunning!
Mustaine goes into extreme detail of his hedonistic lifestyle and his personality shines right through!
A gripping read of a the life so far of one of the most influential musicians in the metal industry!
I wasn't able to put this book down from the minute I picked it up!
Can't recommend this enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars best book ever written, 11 April 2011
this book is amazing as he is always critcal of himself as well as others. i think of it as a guide to success. what to do and what not to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must for all metal fans, 16 Feb 2011
the autobiography of dave mustaine is a must for all megadeth fans.it really gives you an insight of mustaine's life as a person and not just as a musician.it's a great book and it was worth the purchase.

Mustaine: A Life in Metal
Mustaine: A Life in Metal by Dave Mustaine (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)
7.19