4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and complete
Dear reader,
Published on 17 Mar. 2010 by A. D. Van Reenen

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
I was a little bit disappointed with this book. It is really big not pocket sized which I expected. A bit heavy to carry around Italy. Good seller though.
Published on 19 Jun. 2012 by Ruth Marian Bishop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and complete, 17 Mar. 2010
A. D. Van Reenen (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Italian Dictionary and Grammar (Collins Dictionary and Grammar) (Paperback)
Dear reader,
We regularly visit Italy, and especially Le Marche (near Ancona). We often use online tools for finding single words. However, we bought this Italian Dictionary and Grammar while trying to understand Italian legal texts. It proved to be a very useful and handy tool for understanding this type of text, but also all kinds of more practical texts. For example, it is also handy when you are looking for furniture on Italian second hand sites.
After speaking my 'holiday Italian' for a year, I also feel the need to understand the language, and the grammar in the last part appeared to be a nice way to start just that.
At the same time the book is not too big or heavy and surprisingly cheap. (And no, I am not working at Collins; just glad I bought this.)
All in all I can recommend it to you.
Daan
[ASIN:0007323182 Collins Italian Dictionary and Grammar]

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy Dictionary, 5 Jan. 2011
Cas (Southampton) - See all my reviews
I had been using an online dictionary before I bought this, which was rather limiting. This is a good sized dictionary, with a bit of grammar thrown in. It doesn't contain every word that I've looked up in it, but I am using it to help me through a short story by a Sicilian writer. I don't think I shall be needing anything bigger for quite a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose but there is room for improvement, 26 July 2012
I need an Italian dictionary that is both easy to carry and reasonably comprehensive. My last one (a nearly equivalent 2005 edition from Collins) has lost its front cover through fair wear and tear so I needed a replacement. Full-size dictionaries are just too heavy to lug around, at about three kilos; this dictionary weighs less than one kilo. I didn't see a word count, but it's 414 pages of Italian to English and 469 of English to Italian, compared to 408 and 470 respectively in my old dictionary - i.e. much the same.

I looked to see how much the vocabulary had changed in five years: "email" (Engl.) is still translated as "posta elettronica" (Ital.) whereas "mail" (Ital.) has replaced "email" (Ital.) and is translated (correctly) as "email" (Engl.) - reflecting current usage; "spread" (Ital.) doesn't appear of course, because, although this is currently one of the most common words in Italian newspaper headlines, it wasn't around in 2010, the date of this edition; "iPod" (Engl.) appears, but not "iPad" (and neither appears as Italian; but I concede that iPads first appeared only in January 2010); "e-learning" does not appear in either language.

Other random observations: "piedisino" (Ital.) is still there, defined as "of PDS" but "PDS" (Ital.) isn't there; however, "PCI" (Ital.) is there. The dictionary really needs a comprehensive list of abbreviations, not to mention an update on Italian political parties - "berlusconianismo" isn't there, though anyone can guess what it means; however, for the traveller taken ill it could be quite useful to know what "USL" stands for, which is not self-evident but is also missing.

Personally, I could have done without the 235 pages of Grammar - I have several Italian grammars at home, all more useful than this one. (May I insert a plug for my current favourite, "Soluzioni" by Denise De Rome?) At most, I want a table of verbs, which, as it happens, is already supplied in the preface. My old dictionary had a much more useful section called "Italian in Action".

Overall, this dictionary serves its purpose but there is scope for improvement. I'd suggest, for the next edition, replacing the Grammar with a comprehensive list of abbreviations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful and practical help for every day use., 14 Oct. 2012
I found this to be a useful and practical purchase. It's not big enough for advanced level students using it for finer translation points, but certainly contains enough detail and grammar to be greatly superior to the pocket sized dictionaries. I found the grammar sections at the back easy to use but be aware that not all forms of verbs (eg imperfect subjunctive) are listed which is limiting. But the section with the list of verbs taking 'a' and 'di' is very helpful! I really like this dictionary!

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful dictionary, 13 Jan. 2013
A. H. Astbury (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I chose this product to help my study of Italian. It is very helpful and I would recommend it to any Italian students

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dictionary !, 2 Feb. 2014
I love Collins. Previously I owned a Collins Italian dictionary for beginners and it was very good because it included examples of word usage instead of just giving the definition of the word. Unfortunately, this dictionary does not do that, but it makes up for it by being a much more comprehensive and complete dictionary with a handy grammar reference to boot ! I was not disappointed. I highly recommend this dictionary !

4.0 out of 5 stars Collins Italian Dictionary and Grammar, 19 Jan. 2015
Learning Italian for fun and at my own pace and find this Dictionary very helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Collins Italian Dictionary & Grammar, 5 April 2011
Excellent for using in Italian evening class,might be a bit heavy to put in hand luggage to take on holiday to Italy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Italian Dictionary, 21 Jan. 2014
A comprehensive dictionary which is easy to use. Most words are easily accessible, just occasionally a shortened version may not be listed or the declension of some irregular verbs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dictionary, 11 Feb. 2014
Excellent. A great advantage to have a Grammar Section at the end for quick reference. This is better than the ordinary dictionary, but heavier to carry when attending classes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Collins Italian Dictionary and Grammar (Collins Dictionary and Grammar)
Collins Italian Dictionary and Grammar (Collins Dictionary and Grammar) by Collins Dictionaries (Paperback - 4 Mar. 2010)
Used & New from: £0.01