Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 2003
We had the entire series of Narnia audiobooks read by Michael Horden bought for us to keep us quiet on our family holiday down to Cornwall, a 7 hour drive.... His wonderful narration and the haunting sounds of the harp music accompanying the story makes this version of the book enchanting and guaranteed to hold your young ones and yourselves spellbound.
on 14 January 2003
I have loved all the Narnia books since I was a little girl and wanted to introduce this wonderful world created by C S Lewis to my own six year old daughter, however I felt the full, unabridged novels would be too old for her. This particular version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is ideal for the younger child - it misses out much of the scarier elements and things that would confuse a younger child (and prompt difficult questions to answer for that age group) but leaves in enough to keep it exciting and full of adventure (and yes still prompt some questions that can be hard to answer!). My daughter loved it and now wants more. If they bring out the other books in the series in this format I will certainly buy them.
77 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Quite possibly everyone has heard of the Narnia series, and many of us were brought up on the legend of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."
This particular edition is the original story repackaged for C.S Lewis's 100th anniversary, only broken down and made easier on the eyes as well as for younger children with glossed paper and colour illustrations throughout.
The result is something delightful for anyone of any age to read, particularly when encouraging older children to read more sophisticated novels by enticing with bright illustrations.
Something to read over and over, with a little more to look at too.
VINE VOICEon 4 January 2004
This book is perhaps the best known of the seven books written by C.S. Lewis about the world of Narnia and it is also probably one of the best-loved children's books ever written.
I remember my first tentative steps with Lucy through the back of the wardrobe into the snow covered world of Narnia and found myself half-wishing that I could have a wardrobe like that in my house. I only half-wished it, of course, because I soon discovered that Narnia wasn't always the safest of places to be.
As with all of the best magical tales, there is to be a battle between good and evil, a battle that will see some making the ultimate sacrifice for their friends, for the people they love.
Some people may be put off reading these tales or reading them to their children because of the way Lewis weaves Christian mythology and messages into the very fabric of his story. I would urge you not to be put off by this. As a child I didn't pick up on these references and simply saw a gloriously magical book in which I could lose myself in a great adventure.
This is the edition published as a tie-in with the BBC's TV series of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (which has been released on DVD). As a result you get some marvellous stills from the programme as well as the more traditional illustrations by Pauline Baynes.
A story so well told you won't forget it - buy it and treasure it!
on 6 March 2010
I used to listen to this almost nightly as a child and recently felt the urge to seek it out to see if it was as good as I remember it.I'm pleased to report that it's every bit as good, if not better, than I remember.

Michael Hordern possessed a voice that was unmatched in it's ability to convey character and atmosphere. He voices every character and this serves to draw the listener in even more than if there was a full cast. The other aspect that I remembered vividly is the great harp and flute music Narnia Suite [IMPORT]. The story is delivered with great respect and there are scenes which have a pathos unparalleled in any audiobook production I have heard. The scene where Aslan makes the moonlit walk to the stone table with Susan and Lucy still resonates strongly with me today.

The scenes set outside the wardrobe evoke wartime, English evacuee-living perfectly and offer a great window into a lost era for modern children. I doubt that anything of this quality will be produced again as the overall production is absolutely perfect, and I doubt that there are people this talented at work in the field today.

If you want to give your child a gift that they will remember for the rest of their lives then let them listen to this, they will be eternally grateful.
on 3 July 2014
This is a beautiful book but it is an abridged version of the text which was not made clear on the website. I found this very disapointing as I was looking for the full version.
on 14 March 2000
I like this book because the characters are so real and I can imagine being them or meeting them. I think that Mr & Mrs Beaver are really sweet. Lucy is my favorite character because she must be about my age and I imagine we could be friends.
on 10 April 2009
No amount of computer generation works half as well as one's own imagination. The best way to experience The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (apart from reading the book) is to listen to it. A current generation may not be aware of Michael Hordern's enchanting recordings of all seven of the Narnia books. His wonderful voice is perfectly entwined with flute and harp music composed and played by Marisa Nobles - you will wait for the majestic Aslan theme with the same heart stopping anticipation as C.S. Lewis's children did for the Lion himself. My own children loved this series as cassette tapes: I have bought them as gifts for many other children. Now that cassette players are a thing of the past I am in the process buying the CDs for my grandchildren. Please keep these wonderful recordings alive; you, as well as the children, will listen to them again and again.
on 17 July 2000
I've found myself rereading this book at least once a year since I was a small child. It remains one of my top 5 favorite books of all time. I particularly enjoyed reading this centenary edition. Pauline Baynes' illustrations are beautifully colored. Details as small as the high quality pages add to the enjoyment of this gorgeous edition.
on 1 April 1999
At first i wasn't really into it, but once you get into it you can't put it down. It is really exciting and you just can't stop reading it. It was so good a read it in one day. C.s lewis is a brillaint author and i can't wait to read the other books in the series.