5.0 out of 5 stars Magical
We had the entire series of Narnia audiobooks read by Michael Horden bought for us to keep us quiet on our family holiday down to Cornwall, a 7 hour drive.... His wonderful narration and the haunting sounds of the harp music accompanying the story makes this version of the book enchanting and guaranteed to hold your young ones and yourselves spellbound.
Published on 28 Sep 2003 by Jennie

3.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic return to Narnia by Moonlight!
Published on 21 Feb 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 28 Sep 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Narnia for the little ones - what a great idea!, 14 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I have loved all the Narnia books since I was a little girl and wanted to introduce this wonderful world created by C S Lewis to my own six year old daughter, however I felt the full, unabridged novels would be too old for her. This particular version of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is ideal for the younger child - it misses out much of the scarier elements and things that would confuse a younger child (and prompt difficult questions to answer for that age group) but leaves in enough to keep it exciting and full of adventure (and yes still prompt some questions that can be hard to answer!). My daughter loved it and now wants more. If they bring out the other books in the series in this format I will certainly buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect re-creation of Narnian magic, 10 April 2009
Mrs. Penelope Jane Dorritt (Walmer, Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
No amount of computer generation works half as well as one's own imagination. The best way to experience The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (apart from reading the book) is to listen to it. A current generation may not be aware of Michael Hordern's enchanting recordings of all seven of the Narnia books. His wonderful voice is perfectly entwined with flute and harp music composed and played by Marisa Nobles - you will wait for the majestic Aslan theme with the same heart stopping anticipation as C.S. Lewis's children did for the Lion himself. My own children loved this series as cassette tapes: I have bought them as gifts for many other children. Now that cassette players are a thing of the past I am in the process buying the CDs for my grandchildren. Please keep these wonderful recordings alive; you, as well as the children, will listen to them again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best audiobook of all time..., 6 Mar 2010
I used to listen to this almost nightly as a child and recently felt the urge to seek it out to see if it was as good as I remember it.I'm pleased to report that it's every bit as good, if not better, than I remember.

Michael Hordern possessed a voice that was unmatched in it's ability to convey character and atmosphere. He voices every character and this serves to draw the listener in even more than if there was a full cast. The other aspect that I remembered vividly is the great harp and flute music Narnia Suite [IMPORT]. The story is delivered with great respect and there are scenes which have a pathos unparalleled in any audiobook production I have heard. The scene where Aslan makes the moonlit walk to the stone table with Susan and Lucy still resonates strongly with me today.

The scenes set outside the wardrobe evoke wartime, English evacuee-living perfectly and offer a great window into a lost era for modern children. I doubt that anything of this quality will be produced again as the overall production is absolutely perfect, and I doubt that there are people this talented at work in the field today.

If you want to give your child a gift that they will remember for the rest of their lives then let them listen to this, they will be eternally grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well presented classic, 23 Jun 2005
The Honest Cynic (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Quite possibly everyone has heard of the Narnia series, and many of us were brought up on the legend of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe."
This particular edition is the original story repackaged for C.S Lewis's 100th anniversary, only broken down and made easier on the eyes as well as for younger children with glossed paper and colour illustrations throughout.
The result is something delightful for anyone of any age to read, particularly when encouraging older children to read more sophisticated novels by enticing with bright illustrations.
Something to read over and over, with a little more to look at too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 7 Oct 2003
By A Customer
My daughter simply cannot put this book down! This abridged version is still captivating yet simple enough for a child to grasp in the main. Some questions remain unanswered but that is the beauty of the mystery. It makes her want to read the rest of the series. The illustrations are simply stunning! If your child is a bookworm like mine and loves art, this is the book for him/her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I like this book because the characters are so real and I can imagine being them or meeting them. I think that Mr & Mrs Beaver are really sweet. Lucy is my favorite character because she must be about my age and I imagine we could be friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bringing it alive, 27 April 2004
By A Customer
You need the unabridged versions of these books - and generally the seriesworks well.
these have seen us through several long car journeys andthe pace has been good. Sufficently exciting for you to have to wait to asuitable point to get out of the car.
All we need now is the LastBattle to complete the set.
and when you've heard the tape/CD go offand read the books.

3.0 out of 5 stars A nostalgic return to Narnia by Moonlight!, 21 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This is an abridged version of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Shortening it has the advantage of making it more accessible to children for whom some of the original language may be daunting, while, at the same time, retaining all the elements of the story. Specially composed music is interspersed throughout the story. This is played by the composer, Marisa Robles, on harp and flute. I have mixed feelings about the addition of background music, particularly since the range of emotion covered in the book could hardly be effectively represented by such instrumentation. However, the crucial scene in the story, when Aslan approaches the Stone Table, is brilliantly supported by the playing of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata. Sir Michael Hordern has, I fancy, precisely the kind of "public school" accent which C.S. Lewis may have had. His rendering is most enjoyable. However, some of the female characters were portrayed with just a hint of "pantomime dame" about them, and I felt his white witch was a little too self-controlled and restrained at times. I am unsure how this version would appeal to children. For an adult, returning nostalgically to Narnia, it was delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Deluxe version of the best-loved Narnia tale, 17 Aug 2004
This deluxe version has the original black and white illustrations hand-coloured in by the original artist, Pauline Baynes.

'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' introduced readers to the wonders and enchantment of Narnia when it was first published almost fifty years ago.
Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy have been sent to live with a professor in the country during the London air-raids.
While playing hide and seek in his large house, Lucy finds that the wardrobe in the spare room transports her to the magical and snowy land of Narnia, which is under the spell of a terrible 'White Witch' who has made it 'always winter but never Christmas'.

At first, Lucy's brother and sister don't believe her, but soon they, too, find themselves in this new land!

The four must survive much danger to join 'Aslan the Lion' in the fight to free Narnia and break the evil witch's spell.

At a superb price from Amazon, this edition will not fail to impress.

A definite must for the bookshelf whatever your age!

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia)
3.85