5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous advice for uncertain types

2.0 out of 5 stars A book that will.... gather dust on your bookshelf
Published on 27 Dec 2010 by Andrea Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous advice for uncertain types, 29 Dec 2009
Mascara_Minx (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Your Wardrobe: Gok's Gorgeous Guide to Style that Lasts (Hardcover)
I got this book for xmas and didn't really think much of it as a pressie. HOW wrong I was! I read it 2 nights ago and have literally followed his word since as I've stripped all the rubbish out of my wardrobe. I now have a shopping list of classic items I need to buy, a much stronger idea of how to put outfits together, and a less cluttered wardrobe! Quality not quantity. Love you Auntie Gok xx

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tips and ideas!, 8 Nov 2009
D. Grealy (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I watch Gok Wan on TV anyway but when I saw this book I decided to buy it. Have to say it that I really loved and found it so very useful. However one of my friends didn't. Nevertheless, I took some of the ideas about the white shirts and applied them to my current wardrobe before meeting some friends for drinks. The reaction was immediate. They all assured me they didn't recognize the shirt (it was an old one), they had never seen it styled that way, the simple (not expensive) accessory I chose made a big difference and the entire look cost me nothing new. I also took some simple tips on makeup from Gok's book and again, I got an instant reaction from work colleagues. This book has worked for me, I have started to reuse my wardrobe and I am very happy to have made this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gok does it again recessionista chic!, 1 Oct 2009
I have all Gok's books but I have to say this has been the most useful for me.
Following on from what he taught us in his previous books, this one brings it all together. It is divided into chapters of key pieces that every girl should have in her wardrobe to banish bad clothes days forever! He talks about how 1 item of simple clothing can be worn in several different ways and take you from day to night, with tips on how to re-invent what you've already got and for the shopaholics amongst us tips on how to be a savvy shopper, this really is the bible for every woman surviving the credit crunch!

2.0 out of 5 stars A book that will.... gather dust on your bookshelf, 27 Dec 2010
This is the second by Gok Wan that I have bought - the first, How To Dress, I bought and was disappointed with but I managed to find Work Your Wardrobe for a fiver in a local bookshop so I bought it to read during my Christmas break, pre wardrobe-clearout. On the back it exclaims "throw open those wardrobe doors, ransack those rails and let Gok turn your wardrobe war zone into a style sanctuary". Sounds good, I thought. Too good to be true, as it turned out.

Firstly I should point out that the overall style and layout of the book is a vast improvement on How To Dress. It is much more user friendly, free from silly blank 'notes' pages and zany outfits, and Gok has also thankfully omitted sections on how to dress for bed, pregnancy and wedding wear. In short, he doesn't try to tackle too much in this book, just the everyday style basics. On the downside, when I say basics I really do mean basic! Despite its appealing packaging and layout, Work Your Wardrobe did not really inspire me, there were no lightbulb moments as I read this and I'm still none the wiser what to throw out and what to keep when I attempt my wardrobe clearout tomorrow. Also, as a size 10 / 12 with a big bust and hips, a lot of the content really didn't apply to me. Gok details items of clothing I stay away from because they don't suit me eg: shirts are impossible for me because they usually gape around the bust, or are so big they swamp my small frame, pussybow blouses make me look frumpy, and I can't even fit a knee into a skinny jean. I was hoping for more pictures on how to put things together, but no such luck. There were a few pages of models in odd clothing, but most of the other pics were of Gok. Towards the end of the book, Gok appears to become as bored as his reader and the section of jewellery is brief and pointless. Worse, the last chapter, when he tries to plug his high-street cosmetic range, verges on stomach churning!

To summise, this book promises much but delivers little. If you have never picked up a fashion magazine and do not know what a boyfriend blazer is, then perhaps consider this book. However, if you are looking for inspiration as to how to put things together, I would just buy a stash of fashion magazines and work it out yourself, gorgeous girl!!

3.0 out of 5 stars One to collect, 30 Sep 2009
I have all the Gok books, i follow his advice all the time... Gok is amazing - however this book has nothing really new that is contained in any of the Fashion 'what to wear' books - i was a little dissapointed - however i have put on my bookshelf with my other books of Gok... If you want a book to tell you what to wear to keep your wardrobe uptodate - always - i recommend - Harper Bazaar - Style... thats one book that is worth every penny :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard advice from Ch4's king of style., 29 Dec 2009
Frequently appearing on Channel 4's evening lineup with inspiring shows such as 'How To Look Good Naked' and 'Gok's Fashion Fix', Gok has fast become the head style guru of countless women across the country due to his unusually empathic and genuinely considerate approach to styling ladies of all shapes and sizes.

However if you're a frequent viewer of the show or a frequent reader of style books such as 'What Not To Wear' and 'Closet Confidential', much of the advice within these pages you'll already know about, as it covers basic cuts of clothing for both evening and casual wear and how each shape should wear them, as well as straightforward friendly styling tips from the show's presenter himself.

This book would be best for those ladies just starting out in tackling a wild, unruly closet of clothes but still have nothing to wear: it will help get you started in picking basics which will suit your shape to enable your wardrobe to become more versatile. On the other hand, if you're more acquainted with your shape and the basics of everyday fashion, this is more of a book to flick through or briefly borrow than one that earns pride of place on your bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and enjoy? Gok is a genius, 20 Oct 2009
Ms. Sophy Friend "Stickler" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Gok has worked well in this book to cover the essential pieces that every woman needs in her wardrobe. He also breaks the items down into age-groups as well as body shapes. The text reads as if he were chatting to you and he has a grasp that not everyone has endless funds or boundless confidence. Am now on the search for one of his key must-haves, a black pencil skirt!

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 9 Aug 2010
If you want to look very good without having to loose any weight, buy this book. I went shoping immediately after reading it and for the first time I actually bought something because it looked sooo good on me. Usually I would have put everything back cause it looked horrible anyway. I did have to change my style and I now wear clothes that are not really what I would have before, but its the way they look on me that makes them great. Try it, You'll be amazed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa Gok, 26 Dec 2009
Gok never ceases to amaze me, he has created a style guide for every woman, no matter shape or size with easy to follow tips and ideas that you can create within the privacy of your own home. Loving the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Style that lasts but a book that will date, 17 April 2010
I really wanted to like this as I love his programmes. The advice is good but the written style is over familiar (referring to the reader as angel and gorgeous every 2 minutes!) and there are references to current day 'celebrities' i.e. Victoria Beckham, Pussycat Dolls, which will date the book. There are also lots of pointless full page Gok photos, Gok posing with tape measure, Gok styling model, Gok grinning cheesily etc.. I think it would've benefited from less photos and more style advice but maybe he's saving that for another book!!

I was hoping for some references to capsule wardrobes as per the programme but this book doesn't even cover the topic at all which was really disappointing. I would rather have swapped the Beauty section for a capsule wardrobe chapter. To not even cover this when it's a huge part of his recent series is just a bit annoying.

Work Your Wardrobe: Gok's Gorgeous Guide to Style that Lasts