Format: PaperbackChange

on 29 December 2009
I got this book for xmas and didn't really think much of it as a pressie. HOW wrong I was! I read it 2 nights ago and have literally followed his word since as I've stripped all the rubbish out of my wardrobe. I now have a shopping list of classic items I need to buy, a much stronger idea of how to put outfits together, and a less cluttered wardrobe! Quality not quantity. Love you Auntie Gok xx
0Comment27 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2009
I have all Gok's books but I have to say this has been the most useful for me.
Following on from what he taught us in his previous books, this one brings it all together. It is divided into chapters of key pieces that every girl should have in her wardrobe to banish bad clothes days forever! He talks about how 1 item of simple clothing can be worn in several different ways and take you from day to night, with tips on how to re-invent what you've already got and for the shopaholics amongst us tips on how to be a savvy shopper, this really is the bible for every woman surviving the credit crunch!
0Comment74 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2009
I watch Gok Wan on TV anyway but when I saw this book I decided to buy it. Have to say it that I really loved and found it so very useful. However one of my friends didn't. Nevertheless, I took some of the ideas about the white shirts and applied them to my current wardrobe before meeting some friends for drinks. The reaction was immediate. They all assured me they didn't recognize the shirt (it was an old one), they had never seen it styled that way, the simple (not expensive) accessory I chose made a big difference and the entire look cost me nothing new. I also took some simple tips on makeup from Gok's book and again, I got an instant reaction from work colleagues. This book has worked for me, I have started to reuse my wardrobe and I am very happy to have made this purchase.
on 25 November 2010
I bought this book after reading Gok's autobiography - which is a great read.
This book is beautifully illustrated and has lots of pictures of Gok in it!

Section 1: Goes through the basics such as white shirt,jeans,trousers,dresses,skirts,jackets,coats,tops - how to wear these depending on your figure and how to dress them up using accessories. It has neat little tips at the sides of the pages, an example is fit tips for wearing wide leg trousers etc.

Section 2: Discusses shoes,boots,jewellery,belts,scarves & bags. Gives tips as to where to buy the best biker boots, handbags (discusses various types of bags and where to buy the specific types), shoes and jewellery. Tells the reader whats best to wear with riding boots,biker boots etc. Handy chapter for those that love accessories.

Section 3: Discusses how to wear trends depending on the seasons.

Section 4: Describes beauty must haves, how to wear the natural look etc. Gok gives tips and hints for face and body beauty.

The book ends with where to buy all items - store directory.

This is a lovely book to browse through, there are lots of hints and tips in it and everyone is likely to pick up some tip on how to dress. It is a lovely hardback and good quality. It would make a lovely present for a Gok Wan fan.
On the downside, a lot of this type of book can contain repetitive information.
on 29 December 2009
Frequently appearing on Channel 4's evening lineup with inspiring shows such as 'How To Look Good Naked' and 'Gok's Fashion Fix', Gok has fast become the head style guru of countless women across the country due to his unusually empathic and genuinely considerate approach to styling ladies of all shapes and sizes.

However if you're a frequent viewer of the show or a frequent reader of style books such as 'What Not To Wear' and 'Closet Confidential', much of the advice within these pages you'll already know about, as it covers basic cuts of clothing for both evening and casual wear and how each shape should wear them, as well as straightforward friendly styling tips from the show's presenter himself.

This book would be best for those ladies just starting out in tackling a wild, unruly closet of clothes but still have nothing to wear: it will help get you started in picking basics which will suit your shape to enable your wardrobe to become more versatile. On the other hand, if you're more acquainted with your shape and the basics of everyday fashion, this is more of a book to flick through or briefly borrow than one that earns pride of place on your bookshelf.
on 9 August 2010
If you want to look very good without having to loose any weight, buy this book. I went shoping immediately after reading it and for the first time I actually bought something because it looked sooo good on me. Usually I would have put everything back cause it looked horrible anyway. I did have to change my style and I now wear clothes that are not really what I would have before, but its the way they look on me that makes them great. Try it, You'll be amazed.
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2009
Gok has worked well in this book to cover the essential pieces that every woman needs in her wardrobe. He also breaks the items down into age-groups as well as body shapes. The text reads as if he were chatting to you and he has a grasp that not everyone has endless funds or boundless confidence. Am now on the search for one of his key must-haves, a black pencil skirt!
on 27 December 2010
This is the second by Gok Wan that I have bought - the first, How To Dress, I bought and was disappointed with but I managed to find Work Your Wardrobe for a fiver in a local bookshop so I bought it to read during my Christmas break, pre wardrobe-clearout. On the back it exclaims "throw open those wardrobe doors, ransack those rails and let Gok turn your wardrobe war zone into a style sanctuary". Sounds good, I thought. Too good to be true, as it turned out.

Firstly I should point out that the overall style and layout of the book is a vast improvement on How To Dress. It is much more user friendly, free from silly blank 'notes' pages and zany outfits, and Gok has also thankfully omitted sections on how to dress for bed, pregnancy and wedding wear. In short, he doesn't try to tackle too much in this book, just the everyday style basics. On the downside, when I say basics I really do mean basic! Despite its appealing packaging and layout, Work Your Wardrobe did not really inspire me, there were no lightbulb moments as I read this and I'm still none the wiser what to throw out and what to keep when I attempt my wardrobe clearout tomorrow. Also, as a size 10 / 12 with a big bust and hips, a lot of the content really didn't apply to me. Gok details items of clothing I stay away from because they don't suit me eg: shirts are impossible for me because they usually gape around the bust, or are so big they swamp my small frame, pussybow blouses make me look frumpy, and I can't even fit a knee into a skinny jean. I was hoping for more pictures on how to put things together, but no such luck. There were a few pages of models in odd clothing, but most of the other pics were of Gok. Towards the end of the book, Gok appears to become as bored as his reader and the section of jewellery is brief and pointless. Worse, the last chapter, when he tries to plug his high-street cosmetic range, verges on stomach churning!

To summise, this book promises much but delivers little. If you have never picked up a fashion magazine and do not know what a boyfriend blazer is, then perhaps consider this book. However, if you are looking for inspiration as to how to put things together, I would just buy a stash of fashion magazines and work it out yourself, gorgeous girl!!
on 30 September 2009
I have all the Gok books, i follow his advice all the time... Gok is amazing - however this book has nothing really new that is contained in any of the Fashion 'what to wear' books - i was a little dissapointed - however i have put on my bookshelf with my other books of Gok... If you want a book to tell you what to wear to keep your wardrobe uptodate - always - i recommend - Harper Bazaar - Style... thats one book that is worth every penny :)
0Comment21 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2009
Gok never ceases to amaze me, he has created a style guide for every woman, no matter shape or size with easy to follow tips and ideas that you can create within the privacy of your own home. Loving the book.