5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous advice for uncertain types
I got this book for xmas and didn't really think much of it as a pressie. HOW wrong I was! I read it 2 nights ago and have literally followed his word since as I've stripped all the rubbish out of my wardrobe. I now have a shopping list of classic items I need to buy, a much stronger idea of how to put outfits together, and a less cluttered wardrobe! Quality not quantity...
Published on 29 Dec. 2009 by Mascara_Minx

3.0 out of 5 stars Standard advice from Ch4's king of style.
Frequently appearing on Channel 4's evening lineup with inspiring shows such as 'How To Look Good Naked' and 'Gok's Fashion Fix', Gok has fast become the head style guru of countless women across the country due to his unusually empathic and genuinely considerate approach to styling ladies of all shapes and sizes.

However if you're a frequent viewer of the show...
Published on 29 Dec. 2009 by Miss C

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Style that lasts but a book that will date, 17 April 2010
I really wanted to like this as I love his programmes. The advice is good but the written style is over familiar (referring to the reader as angel and gorgeous every 2 minutes!) and there are references to current day 'celebrities' i.e. Victoria Beckham, Pussycat Dolls, which will date the book. There are also lots of pointless full page Gok photos, Gok posing with tape measure, Gok styling model, Gok grinning cheesily etc.. I think it would've benefited from less photos and more style advice but maybe he's saving that for another book!!

I was hoping for some references to capsule wardrobes as per the programme but this book doesn't even cover the topic at all which was really disappointing. I would rather have swapped the Beauty section for a capsule wardrobe chapter. To not even cover this when it's a huge part of his recent series is just a bit annoying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Nov. 2009
SSmith (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
I really enjoy 'How to look good naked'. I'd LOVE for this guy to take me shopping... hence my purchase of this book. However, I was really disappointed with it. The advice is very general, and I didn't find it particularly helpful. There are huge sections about what to wear, when - but a lot of it is irrelvant because we are all different shapes and sizes, and more than half of it doesn't apply to my shape and size (and I think the same could be said for everyone). There are several pages with only a picture of Gok, in fact there are loads of photos of him through-out, more than there are of clothes! - I didn't buy the book to look at pictures of him and felt it was, overall, poor value for money. I love Gok, but not this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 22 Jan. 2012
Don't get me wrong - I love Gok, but I found this book really boring. He tackles all the wardrobe 'basics', such as white shirts, jeans and trousers, and suggests ways to style them up, but I found the suggestions really uninspiring - not stylish at all. I also found myself avoiding reading the text and trying to get through as quickly as possible because his 'voice' got really grating after a while. Personally I think people would be better buying one of his other books, or 'What I Wore' for more thorough and inspiring tips on how to make the most of your wardrobe.What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 Dec. 2009
J. Dow - See all my reviews
Having watched all of Gok's programmes and being a huge fan, I had really high expectations of this book, but I was disappointed. I was hoping to be able to create a modern capsule wardrobe, but feel that I was left with more questions than solutions and still do not feel that I have a clear guide to thinning out my wardrobe. On a positive note, the layout was great and it is easy to read. I a;so liked the fit tips and I am hoping that I will be able to dip into the book to give me some ideas as I go through the new year clear out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wife's Xmas Present, 30 Jan. 2011
Mr. David Newton (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Work Your Wardrobe: Gok's Gorgeous Guide to Style that Lasts (Paperback)
Bought Gok Wan's book for my wife as a Christmas present. My wife & daughter have read it cover to cover and find it a brilliant and useful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy less, wear more!, 8 Dec. 2009
Mrs. B. Boughton "Springer Bev" (Coventry, England) - See all my reviews
This book will be a great gift for any woman who enjoys watching Gok's shows. Although some of it is just general advice on items of clothing, accessories and beauty regimes, the first part covers Gok's mantra on developing a capsule wardrobe from the clothes you already have. I've already saved the price of the book five times over by not buying things I didn't need!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 2 Aug. 2011
I love Gok's shows this is what inspired me to buy this book. It is a good read with lots of tips on how to maximize your look.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Obvious, 30 Dec. 2009
If you don't know a bootcut from a skinny jean or the difference between a stiletto and a wedge then you may find this book enlightening. I haven't found a single thing in it that I didn't already know. Save this book for your 12 year old daughter who hasn't shopped for herself and doesn't wear make-up yet. Very basic information on what's available but no advice on how to put it together which is what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 3 Mar. 2011
Georgina M. R. Gyde "MovieBuff" (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
Gok does exactly what he says on the cover; he works your wardrobe. If you're looking for basic clothing advice that is going to give you ideas on what to buy yourself, this book is for you! Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Info, 26 Jan. 2011
Thinker - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I found this book an improvement on the last Gok style book and ticks all the right boxes. It is full of advice on everyday type clothes and how to wear them.
There are different chapters on different clothing items,and ideas on shops to buy them, Gok talks you through what shapes can do what styles well.
The book is well presented and there is more to read than the last book, it sounds like Gok in a real way. Lots of nice pictures and inspiration.
The only reason this dropped a star is because Gok assumes you have certain items or can afford certain things and that is not always the case!
A great style book though.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›