5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality historical mystery
This is a really well written and entertaining story. The principal characters (both historical and fictional) are well rounded and believable. Although, from the little I know of the real Bruno, I suspect he was not quite as nice a chap as S J Parris would have us believe - he seemed to manage to annoy everyone he came into contact with eventually. But that's being picky...
Published on 25 April 2011 by Pardo

3.0 out of 5 stars A lively read....
This is a follow-up to Heresy. Once again Italian ex-monk Giordano Bruno becomes involved in unravelling a mystery. This time two of Queen Elizabeth's maids are found murdered and there seems to be a plot to kill the queen and install Mary Stuart on the throne.

Prophecy is quite a lively read. The atmosphere of late 16th century London is well drawn and the...
Published on 7 July 2011 by Wynne Kelly

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Bruno 2, 9 Aug 2013
Ms. R. Prince (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
New author for me, but have enjoyed both books so far. I enjoy the time in history and learning new bits of historical interest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling, 7 Sep 2012
Stephen Bishop (Darlington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
To my mind this is the weakest of the three bruno mysteries to date. The others set in Oxford and Canterbury had stronger plots and the crime was more central to the action. In this the crime seems a simple adjunct to material about Catholic plotting and the effect is more diffuse. Few of trhe characters come really alive except perhaps some of the people at the French Embassy where Bruno resides. There are one or two technical errors such as having Henry Howard say he had to be a lodger at his nephew's house when in fact he had a substantial Suffolk property. But the greatest flaw to me is that the book is written in the first person present tense, which I dislike. I don't know why, as the other Bruno books are written in the past tense. But others may not mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars A slightly jarring read, 28 Mar 2012
S. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophecy (Kindle Edition)
Like some of the other reviewers, I am not particularly impressed with Bruno's 'sleuthing' in this book! As the latest addition to team Walsingham (along with Shardlake and Shakespeare), he seems to be the most inept and uninteresting.

My main issue, though, is that Prophecy is written in the present tense. I found this jarring and found myself having to readjust to it every time I picked it up to continue reading. When I started the book, I thought this might be a feature of the first chapter or two, and then it would settle back into a traditional past-tense narrative. It didn't.

The use of the present tense didn't add any sense of urgency or immediacy to the book. It just made it all seem a bit odd and slightly uncomfortable to read.

I really enjoyed 'Heresy', but 'Prophecy' wasn't quite up to the same standard. I'm not sure whether I like, or really care about what happens to, Giordiano Bruno, his view of the cosmos, or his method for remembering things.

3.0 out of 5 stars Prophecy S J Parris, 12 Jan 2012
TRENDYWENDY (GREATER LONDON UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2) (Paperback)
This is the second book by S J Parris about Tudor London. The first book being 'Heresy'. The main character is a de-frocked Italian monk called Giordano Bruno who has been sent to England under the patronage of Henri 111 of France. Whilst in England he is called on by Francis Walsingham to solve a sinister occult murder. In doing so he risks the chance of his own sinister past becoming revealed. This book is well written and has a good plot but, in my opinion, does not compare with C J Samson's similar books set again in Tudor times - albeit in Henry V111's reign and not Elizabeth 1. However, I look forward to reading the third book in this series which I am sure will be forthcoming.

3.0 out of 5 stars So-so from S.J., 24 Nov 2011
This review is from: Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2) (Paperback)
Having been very disappointed by C.J.Sansom's last effort,I thought I'd give another set of initials a go and pulled this down from the shelf.I'm afraid my search for a 16th century thriller writer will have to continue if this is the best that I can expect from S.J.Parris.

Although I found the writing style and continuity of plot here more congenial than I did in Sansom's "Heartstone",I must admit that some passages seemed to drag on very tediously.The evening of Queen Elizabeth's concert seemed to take as long as the real thing might have and to much less purpose,as did the section involving a dinner.The same cannot be said for the book's action sequences which usually involve various preposterous escapades performed at break neck speed by a seemingly inexhaustible Bruno.

Characters are rather shadowy.Bruno himself hardly grabs your attention given that his most distinguishing features seem to be a penchant for black clothes, a tendency to keep a hand on his dagger and indecision as to whether to keep his hand on his 'a'penny as they used to say in the old song.The rest of the cast are fairly run of the mill - the villains aren't really scary and the goodies are pretty bland.

The historically based plotline would seem to be rife with fictional possibilities,a few of which are developed with varying success and there are various stabs at period detail,especially in relationship to the geography of London and its transport systems in the late 16th century.Parris ignores any attempt to reproduce the speech of the period,which is the safe choice but obviously one that denies her the chance to add authenticity to the piece.

In the end,its ok - better than "Heartstone" but only on a par with the rest of Sansom's stuff at best.I'll not find it hard to wait for the next one from SJP appearing in the charity shops but I'll probably buy it if I see it for a couple of quid.

5.0 out of 5 stars great second story, 10 Feb 2011
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Prophecy (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second novel by SJ Parris and is the second in the series about real life historical person Giordano Bruno. I read the first book - Heresy (Heresy) - and thoroughly enjoyed it. The problem is second novels are either good or poor. This is neither poor, nor good; it is, fortunately, a great sequel.

Bruno is working in the court of Elizabeth I for her "spy-catcher" Francis Walsingham who is trying to keep an eye on all those who would plot against the Queen. Bruno is one Walsingham's spies and manages to infiltrate a group of plotters who have designs on the throne of England. While looking for proof to take to Walsingham young girls within the palace start being murdered and the occult is seemingly to blame, but Bruno suspects something completely different. Will he be able to find the murderer, and get the proof against the conspirators?

SJ Parris's Heretic renewed my interest in historical detective fiction, something which I had fallen out of "love" with many years ago, her new book "Prophecy" has gone a long way to confirming that new attraction to the genre.

These books are more of a historical "Messiah" (Boris Starling - Red Metcalf) - Messiah - type story than an Umberto Eco "Name of the Rose" which I found interesting but heavy going at times - The Name Of The Rose (Vintage Classics). I cannot comment on any similarity to CJ Sansom, as I haven't read any of their books.

Here the story takes the priority with just the right amount of historical information and enough setting to give you a feel for the era, the people and the lives they live, something which some other books take

A great sequel that engrossed me like the first book did and, if SJ Parris can keep up the standard, what looks to be a great series of books. I look forward to the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another gripping Bruno book, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Prophecy (Hardcover)
Having adored Heresy I wanted to know more about Bruno's world. I was deterred by one of the reviews, but still intrigued. To start with it drove me insane as Bruno was narrating in the past tense, which I hate, especially in historical writing. ( Parris's other Bruno books are narrated in the past tense- Thank you SJ!) The plot was more complicated, gripping & politically important, in this book. And the murders were equally disturbing. I must confess that I am even more taken with Bruno than I was before. It's because he's a bit of a bumbler, a Copernican, a heritic, and links his philosophy to ancient Egypt- he is starting to explain his memory technique more in this book. The plot is so exciting - I couldn't put the book down reading through two days and the night! I couldn't put it down even to have a bath. At the end I smelled as bad as Bruno when he came out of the Thames & had a painful rash! Hopefully other readers will have more self control, enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sub Samson, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2) (Paperback)
Just don't bother. It might have an almost identical cover to the Shardlake novels and a Tudor setting but there the similarities end. The main character lacks depth and sympathy. The setting is poorly researched and historical detail seems an afterthought. It could be anywhere. Even Phillipa Gregory writes more evocatively than this. The plot is predictable and slow and you will almost certainly guess "whodunnit" well in advance of the hapless Bruno.

I'll not be bothering to read the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2) (Paperback)
another excellent book - can highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
buy and enjoy I did

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2)
Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2) by S. J. Parris (Paperback - 18 Aug 2011)
3.50