5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book
Book arrived today, two days earlier than expected. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and although I am getting a bit too old for Darren Shan, I still think his books are awesome and will continue to read all of the books he publishes. I won't reveal any spoilers about the book, but I recommend it to anyone who likes Darren Shan and has read the previous two.
Published on 29 Sept. 2011 by Dan Waters

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT THE BEST
READ ALL DARREN SHAN AND SAGA OF CREPSLEY. THIS IS AN OK READ NOT THE BEST IN THE SERIES FEELS MORE LIKE A FILLER READY FOR NEXT ONE! BUT IF U READING THE SERIES OBV THIS HAS GOTTA BE READ.
Published on 16 Jan. 2012 by Mrs. Nicola M. Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 29 Sept. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, amazing author, 10 Oct. 2011
Darren Shan is an incredible write who succeeds very well in making you want more and more with every turn of a page. This book is no exception.

This is book 3 in a series of PREquals to his Saga a.k.a. Cirque Du Freak series Cirque Du Freak (The Saga of Darren Shan Book 1)
Despite this being a prequel you should definitely read the Cirque Du Freak series first as a lot of the revelations (another stunning skill of Darren's, constantly revealing the unexpected) will not be as exciting if you do not know their significance which permeates from the previous 12 book series.

As a book it continues wonderfully from the previous 2 in this saga and I just cannot wait to read the 4th and final one, despite it being a VERY sad time for me as it will be the last line probably ever written in the Mr Crepsley universe.

TL;DR - I've been reading Darren's series since I was 11. I am now 20 and I enjoy them just the same.
Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless as ever., 13 Nov. 2014
At the end of Ocean of Blood Larten, half mad with the flu and with grief over the death of his young assistant Malora, slaughters just about everyone on board the ship, including the parents of a baby boy. This book starts with Larten wandering the icy wilderness of Greenland with the baby, seeking death. He comes across Perta Vin-Grah's finally resting place that once was the talk of myths and decided it a very fitting place to die. Once his sets aside the baby he returns to the task at hand, his death. As he's just about to jump to his death the familiar face of Desmond Tiny saves him telling him its not his time. Larten realises he doesn't actually want to die and takes the young baby with him, searching for a way of the ice.

The book skips forward a few years to Larten in Paris with his fiancée Alicia raising the now child , Gavner Purl. There is only one problem, Larten hasn't told Alicia he's a vampire and is going under the name of Vur Horston. He's living as a human and sometimes believes he is. Everything is going well for him and for once he seems truly happy, until one night he bumps into his old Tanish Eul. After a little convincing Larten goes into business with him only to discover that Tanish is still the coward he always was, letting others die at the hands of a vampaneze to save his own skin. Still feeling horrible for the slaughter of all those people on the boat he makes it his mission to save the girls and kill the vampaneze, doing what Tanish never would. Tanish turns on him and knowing its the only way he can get the better of him, blames the death of the girls on him annoucing to the whole world what/who he is.

Once Alicia finds out his true nature, he has no where else to go but home where he becomes a general and see people from his past, the most exciting being Arra Sails and Evanna. After 10 years he decides to take some time away and returns to Paris to check up on Alicia and Gavner but when he gets there he doesn't find them all, Alicia tells him the Tanish came back and soon after Gavner had gone missing.

I loved this book (I think I've yet to find a book by Darren Shan that I don't like) this series focuses so much on Larten feelings and I personally love that. Because I've read The Saga of Darren Shan back to front many times its lovely to see where some of the characters came from, what life they had and why/how important they were to Larten. I'm looking forward to seeing how it ends, but I also don't want it to. In a way I feel like everything I wanted to know how Larten after reading The Saga of Darren Shan has been answered, and when I finish The Saga of Larten Crepsley I can get closure. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars More greatness from Shan, 8 Jan. 2012
Has Darren Shan sold his soul to the devil? That's a question I have asked myself after finishing all three of the books I have read so far in The Saga of Larten Crepsley. Why? Because the man has not failed to deliver even once, so surely there must be more than natural talent at play here?

I will try to make this review as spoiler-free as possible as far as Palace of the Damned is concerned, but if you have not yet read Ocean of Blood yet then you may want to navigate away from this page now. OK... for those of you still reading, Palace of the Damned picks up pretty much straight after the dramatic and bloody conclusion to the second book in the series. Larten is full of self-loathing following his actions on the Pearly Tornado, and he is now heading into the frozen Arctic wasteland where he intends to put himself out of his misery for good. Things are slightly complicated by the fact that he is still carrying the baby he 'rescued' from the ship, and with no sign of any form of civilization it looks as if this young child may die with him. However, after what seems like days he finds himself led to the legendary Palace of the book's title where something happens that changes everything. And there is no way that I am going to tell you what that is, although we do witness the naming of the baby.

Following the release of Ocean of Blood, and Larten's taking of the baby, there was some excitement among many fans as they speculated as to who the baby was, with most of them getting it spot on, and as this happens in the first few chapters of the book I don't think it is too much of a spoiler to say that it is Gavner Purl. Yet again, Darren Shan treats his readers to another key morsel in the history of Larten Crepsley and this character goes on to play an important role in the rest of this book.

As in the previous two books in this series Palace of the Damned is split into several parts, with sometimes lengthy jumps in time between each one. So, after the first three chapters we leap forward from the Arctic wasteland to Paris, 1906, and herein lies my only criticism of this this book - I wanted it to be much longer. It is only 256 pages in length and I reckon there is easily another 50 plus pages of story that could be told to fill in some of the jumps in time (how did Larten and the child get to Paris for starters?). Maybe I am being just a little too picky as not all of the jumps in time are quite so huge though; in fact, the jump from Paris to Larten's next destination happens at just the right time in the story, and to fill in that journey with more detail would not have added to the story. I guess I am just greedy for more history of this great character.

I loved Ocean of Blood because of its focus on Larten's formative 'teenage' years, when he was initially full of reckless abandon, and then later seeing the influence various others had on his development towards 'adult' vampirehood. In this book we see yet another change in Larten as his life journey continues: he is still full of regret at his massacre of the people on the Pearly Tornado, but in Paris he faces another challenge as he falls in love with a human. Of course, Larten being Larten he omits to inform her that he is a vampire and therefore it was only going to be a matter of time before..... (I told you it would be spoiler free). However, his relationships with Alicia (for that is her name) and the child he rescued that she adopts as her own, are of paramount importance to the rest of his story in this instalment, right up until the final page where we are left hanging with those dreaded words To be continued..... If you are weak like me you will then go on to read the sample opening chapter of book four, to be titled Brothers To The Death. I kind of wish I hadn't done this, and I wish HarperCollins hadn't included it at the end of the book, as on reflection I qould have liked to be kept in suspense for the next six months or so. However, it wasn't all bad as this sample chapter does itself end on a cracking 'ooohhh-can't-wait-to-read-the-next-book' moment.

All in all Palace of the Damned is yet another superb addition to the saga from Darren Shan and I loved the way he has developed his character even more and we are now really beginning to see the Larten we first met in Cirque du Freak, although I am saddened a little by the fact that there is only one more book left in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars No Repeats Here, 11 Nov. 2011
I've read every Darren Shan novel, usually within a month of them being released. I enjoy reading them, even though they are very clearly written for a young audience and aspects of the stories have a tendency to repeat themselves in different books.

The 3rd book in the Larten Crepsley saga is different. Yes, the setting includes the familiar Vampire Mountain and the characters have shown up time and again in previous books - but this is a sequel, set in a pre-created world; we expect to see familiar faces and in fact it would be odd if we didn't. However, Palace of the Damned is one of the few books where the plot is new territory. There is a darker struggle with morality and an understanding of the depth of character - it is not enough in this book that someone acts in an evil way; instead, we find out what has pushed them in that direction. Most importantly, there is real progression - Shan is not just going through the motions this time around.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a fairly easy read, aimed at the same youthful market and is peppered with short sentences and Shan's familiar style of writing. But this series has finally opened up into something (to pardon the pun) readers can really get their teeth into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 9 Oct. 2011
Freya Bradley (Chesterfield) - See all my reviews
This book three of the Larten Crepsley series is amazing, very jaw dropping and leaves chills running down your spine. It is the best series of the lot since the saga of Darren Shan. Don't miss out this series of Larten Crepsley bescause it makes you hungery of more! I can't wait for next book in April.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 2 Nov. 2011
M. Watkins - See all my reviews
Who has been an amazing author to me, who has read all his books that I have heard about for the past six years? The only author I have stayed with for that length of time has been Darren Shan, and do you know why? Because all his books are awesome. I read books like anything, so I cannot say much by how fast I read it, but it is yet another awesome book by an author that is one of the main reasons for my love for books. If you have read any of his before, this is another one, with all the usual elements that this author brings into the story. If you are new to the author, I recommend starting with the saga of darren shan (both the twelve books and the film) and taking it from there, its a great story. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice change, with more to come, 1 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 3) (Paperback)
After the horrific attack on the boat, Larten is almost at the end of his tether, disgraced by what he has done, alone and cold, trapped in Greenland with a baby, he's not sure if he can go on. Even Vampires have to give up sometime. But he then finds the legendary Ice Tomb, a sacred place vampires have been searching for for years. After a visit from the mysterious Me Tiny (yes he features in this series too and is just as irritating, meddlesome and weird as in the Darren Shan Saga), Larten decides to go on, but away fro the Vampire world and the Clans. Needing to find someone to take care of the baby he journeys to Paris. Once there he meets and falls in love with a young lady called Alicia.

He stays with her for a while and you start to see a softer side of Crepsley, more of the man you know he will become. He is gentle with Alicia and tries to make the whole family dynamic work, but he keeps some secrets to himself. The baby is named Gavner Purl - a name you should recognise from the other series, although it took me a while to place him. But once I had, I was even more intrigued, how does this situation end up with Gavner becoming the man we know. So not only are we learning about Crepsley's past but also Gavner's. I liked this addition and was intrigued by the relationship between them.

But not everything can stay the same and things have a habit of going wrong for Larten.

I think I enjoyed this one the most out of the series although I was waiting for Larten to return to his Vampire Clan and find his way again, it was refreshing to see this other side to him and see him evolve as a character.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren has done it again!, 25 Oct. 2011
I never tire of Darren Shan's books. Always well written and has you hooked from the first page. This series of books is as gripping as all of his other books. The only down side to Darren's books is that you have to wait until the next is published. Can't wait for the fourth book and all that follow. If this is your first taster of Darren Shan, and enjoyed the books, then I urge you to seek out his other series. You will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 14 Nov. 2011
I started reading Darren Shan's books quite late, I was about 17/18 and got them from the kids section in the library and I'm so glad I did! I absolutely love all of his books I've read, and this is the first series I'm reading as and when the books come out.

I'm 20 now and still love them, and this series has not disappointed so far! This series deals with the life of Larten Crepsley, Darren Shan's vampire mentor. Well worth a read!

Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 3)
Palace of the Damned (The Saga of Larten Crepsley, Book 3) by Darren Shan (Paperback - 26 April 2012)