1,355 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars 'But that was long ago and in another country'
'His children are falling from the sky,' is the arresting opening sentence of the second novel in Mantel's trilogy, exploring the life of Thomas Cromwell at the court of Henry VIII. Hawks at the king's hunting party in Wiltshire have been named after Cromwell's dead daughters, an odd memorial, but one that immediately reminds us of Cromwell's loss of those dear to him,...
Published on 15 May 2012 by purpleheart

1.0 out of 5 stars Dense, but not deep
This sequel fails to deliver the interest and and colour of Wolf Hall, and overall is pedestrian and boring.

Mantel persists in her strange narrative style: third person, with Cromwell often only referred to as 'he', with a first person's perspective. A new innovation is the awful phrase 'he, Cromwell', rather than just 'Cromwell' which makes the English...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've read in years, 6 Feb 2013
I don't write reviews because this helps sell the product but I don't share in the profits so why help sell it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Of course I liked it, it is a prized 2nd Booker winner, by an established Author, and I asked for it., 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
Actually haven't finished the book, well barely started, but it was delivered quickly, and v cheaply, which is good for me but less good for the Exchequer, lacking taxable support to the State we all share the benefits from.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
Again I bought this for my son-in-law for Christmas, so I don't know what it is like. However my son-in-law was delighted as he has already read the first one.

3.0 out of 5 stars New to me !, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
I have not read this new book by Mantel - I simply loved the first one and ordered this one as soon as I was back from holidays in wonderful Crete. The Booker prize must simlply mean that this is good as ever,

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for books, poor on taxes, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
"I really enjoyed this book but I hate the way Amazon reduces its UK taxes. There is wonderful writing here but we all need to shout loud until Amazon pays its fair share. I really enjoyed this author's earlier books and if you did, why don't you log in and leave 10 more reviews like this today. Tell Amazon to sign that cheque or forever lose my respect and the respect, no doubt, of this very fine author."

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
I found this really hard going at times and often quite confusing. I much prefer the novels by C J Sanson of the same period.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 May 2013
Very disappointed with this book after all of the hype. Very little content in the story, does not bring anything new to this ale., will not be reading anything else from this author

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 24 April 2013
This was a convoluted and inept reflection of the period. No real character development just boring portrayals. Not worth reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle price is a rip off, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
I have just finished Wolf Hall and would like to buy this. But I will not whilst the Kindle price exceeds the currently available paper version.
Most of the cost of a novel is paying the author and publisher and marketing, etc. For a paper book there is the cost of printing and distribution. For an ebook there is the VAT. I see no reason why the ebook should cost more than the paper one.
I will remove this review when I am aware the price has changed appropriately.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing!!, 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Hardcover)
I was extremely disappointed with both books witten by Hilary Mantel. Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies. They lacked pace and were written in a slow overly detailed style which I found frustrating. There was a great deal of history but wrapped in too much superfluous detail which I personally found irritating.They are not in my best reads category.

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel (Hardcover - 10 May 2012)